Cain has already plateau?

ridgid

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Prior to his first round defeat to Junior dos Santos, Cain was sought out to be the most improved heavyweight fighter, progressing side by side with his career. Ever since his first mma fight Cain improved on every aspect of his arsenal. Going back to the Kongo fight when he was criticized for his pillow fists, he came back with power behind his punches ever since. My question is, why do many ppl count him out going into this fight against DosSantos? Have we seen the best of Cain? Or is the best yet to come?

The honest reason they count him out is because they fought and JDS KOed him in 64 seconds. That is all we have when it comes to this matchup. So because of this, JDS is a decent sized favorite, probably around 2 to 1. I don't think he has hit his plateau, but I don't think he has what it takes to beat Dos Santos. That being said, he will be a top 5 HW for years though, if I had to guess. Maybe even top 3. He is really good, and definitely improves every fight. I wouldn't really count him out of any fight though.

Last edited:
Absolutely not, if he gets KOd anytime after the 64s mark, he will have improved. I think they should set realistic benchmarks, may be shooting for 3 minutes this time and the whole first round the time after... continuous improvement!

Seriously the guy has 1 KO loss and everyone thinks he's done. What a joke.

it's hard to say, way too early to make that conclusion

The Cain Velasquez that destroyed Bigfoot Silva was a terrifying specimen.

So, using their careers as references, who has made the bigger leaps from fight to fight, and who has made the biggest leap since the first fight?

Boxing can only take you so far in MMA. And it seems to me that 80 percent of the time we watch JDS, he is always boxing.

I doubt it, I don't know how much better he's gonna get, but I'm sure he's still improving. Albeit it's not leaps and bounds like rory, he is definatly getting better

Boxing can only take you so far in MMA. And it seems to me that 80 percent of the time we watch JDS, he is always boxing.

That's because all he needs to do is box...

So, using their careers as references, who has made the bigger leaps from fight to fight, and who has made the biggest leap since the first fight?

I can't speak in definites, but in terms of in their UFC career, Denis Siver has shown a lot of improvement. He didn't do too well early in his UFC career, but improved and got some impressive wins at LW, and is now doing very well in the FW division.

Because he didn't just get his bjj blackbelt and he doesn't have some of the best defensive wrestling in the UFC. Nothing but a boxer.

That is dumb to say he is boxing. I've read on here that Cain has better kickboxing and JDS has better boxing but the only difference is rules. I'm pretty sure punches are still allowed in both MMA and kickboxing so as long he can punch guys silly while defending all other attacks, he isn't just boxing.

Alot of people on these boards are gonna feel pretty stupid after Saturday. Cain is coming for that belt!!!! Brown Pride muthafuckas!!!!!

imo cain didn't show much in the bigfoot fight, he cut him and blinded him, which is why i dislike elbows, but it was still going south for bigfoot anyway.

cain is so damn tough he's going to give anyone trouble if he grabs them. how many people can be so green and still dominate in the UFC? look at his pillowhands before the big nog fight, then look at his striking in the big nog fight. some of the absolute best technique i've ever seen inside the octagon. truly blown away.

so we could see a cain that is 10x better than he was against JDS. I think JDS is his achilles heel in terms of style, but there should be little doubt that cain can beat him. although looking at recent photos of jds vastly improved physique i'd say he's going to have some problems actually initiating the grappling. but cain has the cardio, and i favor him if it gets past the third round.

Because he didn't just get his bjj blackbelt and he doesn't have some of the best defensive wrestling in the UFC. Nothing but a boxer.

He said we usually only see him box, we haven't seen much of his ground game which is true. Don't jump to conclusions and get mad all of a sudden.
That is dumb to say he is boxing. I've read on here that Cain has better kickboxing and JDS has better boxing but the only difference is rules. I'm pretty sure punches are still allowed in both MMA and kickboxing so as long he can punch guys silly while defending all other attacks, he isn't just boxing.

Same as the guy above^

Its not exactly hard to destroy a head that big :/ but I agree.

LOL. :icon_chee

His fight against BigFoot is probably his most dominating fight ever. The way he threw BigFoot to the ground and would not let him do anything was incredible.

Sure BigFoot was cut and had problems seeing. But BigFoot is a huge and talented grappler and most fighters would not be able to keep him on the ground in that scenario.

If his next fight against JDS goes the same way, and it doesn't matter if it's in the first, second, third, fourth, or fifth.

If Cain loses via TKO/KO. Yeah, he has peaked.

Back