Cain "Can't Do That Against Overeem"?

So, a K-1 champ goes 1-1 with Werdum and is never able to finish him. A Brazillian backyard boxer KO's Werdum in the 1st round. Then sign me up from them Brazilian Backyard Boxing classes, cupcake.

Terrible use of mma math. You should come back when you know something about mma and fighting in general.

I'm amazed people still think this, personally I think its been pretty clear Overeem is a strong wrestler for years but after Lesnar and Werdum how can anyone think he's lacking in TD defence?

Personally I think if he fights Overeem Cain might be best of reversing tactics and keep his distance for 1-2 rounds hoping Allistair slows down.

Overeem has good TDD indeed. More importantly though, he actually makes you pay for every failed TD attempt unlike Junior who just walked away after stuffing a TD.

Overeem's scrambling ability can't be overlooked either
ccxz.gif

I think Brock gives us the best perspective on how Alistair will handle the Cain fight, even if Cain is a very different animal from Lesnar. Alistair, faced with an aggressive wrestler that wanted to bring the pressure, kept his hands low to defend the takedowns, which he did valiantly, though he also ate a few punches for his troubles. This is very similar to how JDS kept his hands low to defend the TD, only to get hit in the face by the wrestler.

Overeem showed no respect for Lesnar's striking game. However, keeping his hands low and not respecting Cain's striking may come at a cost. Big Nog, Lesnar and JDS can testify that Cain can hurt you with his hands.

Based on what? When's the last time Overeem fought an elite MMA HW who was also an elite college wrestler? He didn't hurt Brock Werdum during or immediately after their TD attempts.

Or are you basing Overeem's superhuman skills on his fights with guys like Tony Sylvester, James Thompson and ancient versions of Fujita and Goodridge?

Every time Overeem sprawled a Werdum TD, Werdum flopped back to avoid getting blasted. Overeem likes to follow up his sprawls with GnP, but Werdum is a rare breed who can afford to fall on his back without worry so that fight is not a good reflection of how Overeem makes his opponents pay for failed TD attempts.

It is probably more difficult to get up with Cain on top of you though, not saying he can't do it, but Werdum is not exactly a top-notch wrassler whose sole purpose is to hold you the fuck down.

Terrible use of mma math. You should come back when you know something about mma and fighting in general.

Look moron, you called a recent UFC HW champ a "backyard amateur." You're the one who should stay away until you can stop making asinine, 3rd-grade level comments.

For the record, JDS has KO'd a lot more good/elite MMA HWs than Overeem has. K-1 is a different sport, with different rules, huge gloves and a ring instead of a cage. If Overeem can start KO-ing the likes of Werdum and Cain, then we can talk. He should have his chance to prove himself as long as he tests clean.

Overeem showed no respect for Lesnar's striking game. However, keeping his hands low and not respecting Cain's striking may come at a cost. Big Nog, Lesnar and JDS can testify that Cain can hurt you with his hands.

Indeed, not to mention that Cain possesses a startling speed advantage. He ought to get off 3 shots in the time it took Lesnar to land one (speaking in hyperbole of course). I think it'll be interesting to see how he each fighter is able to capitalize on the other's mistakes as the margin of error is very slim in this fight.

There is no question Cain has insane Cardio but can he defend against the firepower.

JDS' cardio is good, too - but as his last fight showed, cardio can go out the window after a few hard hits to the face.

Having said that, though, I think Cain vs. Overeem ends the same way Cain vs. Bigfoot did: Cain on top, making his opponent eat the pointy parts of his elbows.

After the first round, Cain did a bunch of stuff that he "can't do against Overeem", including some badly telegraphed shots that would have been punished with knees. JDS was so debilitated from round one that he couldn't do much of anything though.

He means Overeem will try and hit you with some serious knees, whereas JDS was just trying to scramble away.

I guess...

So, a K-1 champ goes 1-1 with Werdum and is never able to finish him. A Brazillian backyard boxer KO's Werdum in the 1st round. Then sign me up from them Brazilian Backyard Boxing classes, cupcake.

:redface:

He means you wouldn't want to use some takedown attempts to wear Overeem down... you don't want to stay in a clinch with him for a prolonged period. If you go for the takedown you better make sure you can get it or get back out quick otherwise you could catch a huge knee. Also Overeem's got a really strong guillotine so you don't really want to leave your head in there for him to grab.

Also you aren't as likely to catch Overeem with an Overhand right because he's a very experienced striker.

Discussing the Overeem/Velasquez with my friends directly after the JDS/Cain fight I said he won't be able to do that with AO because he clinched a lot with JDS and that is never a good idea against the Reem.

Overeem is at his strongest in the clinch, which makes him more dangerous to try to take down.

Of course Overeem's boxing from the outside is highly overrated (frankly it sucks)--Cain would probably be better served to kickbox him in the first round, and wait until Overeem tries to clinch with him before going for the takedown.

Why would Cain want to stand with the Reem? That's crazy and I'm sure Overeem would be thrilled to see Cain playing right into his hands.

Overeem's use of knees pose a problem that JDS didn't. That being said, JDS has much better head movement and better hand than Overeem. Also, JDS has a rock solid chin. Overeem does not.

Overeem is at his strongest in the clinch, which makes him more dangerous to try to take down.

Of course Overeem's boxing from the outside is highly overrated (frankly it sucks)--Cain would probably be better served to kickbox him in the first round, and wait until Overeem tries to clinch with him before going for the takedown.

Overeem's hands and fast and accurate as hell with ridiculous power. Did you miss the part about him winning k1 and taking peoples heads off? Overeem sets people and destroys them. He's knocked out quite a few people countering them. He doesn't waste any blows. Everything he throws is a calculated strike.

Cain should kickbox him in the first round? Fight a 263 lb that can dispatch elite standup fighters with 1 or 2 blows in K1 with bigger gloves on?

JDS came into the Werdum fight as an unknown. Werdum obviously underestimated him, and paid for it.

Werdum came into the Reem fight scared to death of standing with him... so he butt flopped every time they engaged... It's kind of hard to look that impressive when your opponent does this. Especially when he is a world class submission artist so you can't just jump into his guard and punish him for it.

Did werdum fall on his back 20 times when he fought jds?

Back