Cage Size for UFN 73

busterbrown

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anybody know for sure what the cage size will be in Nashville? I can't find anything online about the seats originally available, but the maximum for the arena is around 20,000...which usually translates to the 30 foot cage. After looking at the tickets available online, I think that the second and third levels might not be open for this event which would push it toward the 10,000 seat capacity. The UFC usually uses the small cage for venues in the range of 5,000 seats, so I tend to think that the larger octagon will be used this week.
I was reading Josh Samman's blog on another MMA site and he said he was surprised to see the 25 foot cage when he walked into the arena for the first time (at the TUF 21
Finale). That seems terribly ludicrous that the fighters don't even know what size cage they'll be fighting in. I feel relatively sure that Vegas has access to that info, so what about the general public? Why won't the UFC announce the cage size before events? At least release the info to the fighters as it might influence their strategies!

That seems terribly ludicrous that the fighters don't even know what size cage they'll be fighting in.

At least release the info to the fighters as it might influence their strategies!

i never knew that the fighters often dont know the size of the octagon until fight night. i agree with you- that should be made public, or at the very least made known to the fighters before they sign the bout agreement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-fighters-often-dont-know-150003185.html

Thanks for the link reddhelium. I didn't know until I read it in Samman's blog. I thought it was the general public who was kept in the dark for betting purposes.

I thought the cage size was determined by the State Athletic Commisions... I think in Maine they were not allowed a full size cage. Forces action with smaller ones

Heard it was the big cage.

Heard it was the big cage.

Really? I thought the fight nights were always in the small cage and they saved the big cage for fox cards and PPVs.

That sucks, I like the smaller cage.

Back