Cage-grabbing and eye pokes appear to be fair game

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Some shit just never gets punished.

Proof:

• Mario Yamasaki is the only referee to have deducted points for cage-grabbing since UFC 73 (!!)
  • There have only been two point deductions in UFC history for eye pokes - in Hamill vs Jardine (2010) by Herb Dean and CB Dollaway vs Boetsch (2013) by Kerry Hatley.
  • Also, attacks to the back of the head (ignoring DQs which I have not checked) are rarely ever punished. There have ony been two such deductions ever, the last in 2010 (Bonnar vs Pokrajac).

In general, the number of point deductions is very low. Only 32 in the entire UFC history.

IMO, refereeing must get more consistent and more points need to be deducted in order to make fighters abide by the rules. Right now, there is no real danger that rule-breaking will be costly.

EDIT: Source added. It's based on an MMADecisions article from 2013 and my own research.

tumblr_nimul1Fh8p1u955i8o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Ive noticed this too TS, especially the cage grabbing and blows to the back of the head. Though i will say ive seen a fair amount of guys get warned about cage grabbing and stop after that. However ive seen dudes go to town on the back of people's head's with GnP a couple of times with nothing of that rule being mentioned. Actually thought i was mistaken in that being a rule at one point because of it.

Not sure if a point was taken in the Manny Gamburyan vs Cole Miller fight but that had controversial "back of the head" shots. Also, Patrick Cote vs Alessio Sakara was a back of the head DQ.

Do you have any sources for this TS? Some sort of comprehensive data on pentalties in the UFC would be very interesting to examine.

what about the belcher vs cote, the guy got tombstoned lol,

how many warnings do you need b4 you get penalized for pokes?
accident or not? lets not pretend its not an issue

So......a person has a good chance of committing a felony and walking if he does it in the octagon. C-O-O-L!

Every fighter in the UFC seems to have 1 free nut shot and one free eye poke per fight.

The same goes for cage grabbing (except if it's really blatant and allows a fighter to visibly reverse the position or escape the takedown attempt).

Honestly I think they should do an automatic point deduction for every eye poke and every nut shot.

Fighters will clean up their act really fuckin fast if they did,

Taking a point in MMA is a much bigger deal than in boxing with MMA having such little rounds in comparison.

Couldn't care less about fence grabs but eye pokes are fucked.

Faber's apparent win over Rivera is just icing on the cake. Poke away lads worst case your opponent and you get a rest break.

Honestly it would be hard to imagine how they could possibly do less about them.

Eye poking should be penalized regardless, enforce that and you can be sure that nodbody would eye-poke anybody anymore "unitentionally".

The nut shot would certainly discourage the inside leg kicks and mid-section knees, but I'd go with the stricter policy because as of now the the free nut kick is being abused.

Cage grabbing is the only issue that maybe deserves a case-by-case evaluation. Sometimes it's just an instictive reaction but doesn't bear any advantage. Of course when it prevents takedowns or helps the reversal, or worse when it's used as an anchor point to knee a guy against the fence then it should be an immediate deduction.

Every fighter in the UFC seems to have 1 free nut shot and one free eye poke per fight.

The same goes for cage grabbing (except if it's really blatant and allows a fighter to visibly reverse the position or escape the takedown attempt).

It's a lot more than 1. These techniques are allowed. People just need to get used to it.

Increase the point spectrum. A dead even round gives a 0 point advantage to either fighter (call it 10-10, if you still want some semblance of 10-point must). Give a 1 point advantage for a slight edge, and a 2 point advantage for a decisive win in a round. Give 3 points if somebody takes a proper beating for the entire round and is close to be stopped, and 4 points to round 1 of Edgar-Maynard 2 and 3. You can call it 4 points or 10-6 if you want, or half points. The details doesn't matter. All that matters is that it adds granularity to the scoring and the penalties.

Then start agressively taking points for fouls. Eye poke? 1 point - no warning, even if it wasn't intentional.

It really depends on who the fighter is. Jones will never ever ever get a deduction for eye pokes even though that's all he does.

Back