Cage Fighter Quits During a Fight Rather Than Hurt his Opponent any Further

Thats ... cool... i guess? He really must have just been fighting to see how he would do.

Apparently he revealed to Inside MMA exactly what he was thinking when he tapped out.

“We don’t get paid and I know that the only (way) I’m going to finish the fight is him to go in the hospital or get hurt,” Pantangco said.

“I just feel terrible so I’m just going to give him the win.”

Uriah Hall take note. There's a new Nice Guy in MMA.

Makes sense to me. His opponent looked like he has never even fought before. Are those type of leagues common? It seems like you would get awful mismatches.

Makes sense to me. His opponent looked like he has never even fought before. Are those type of leagues common? It seems like you would get awful mismatches.
There are quite a few amature leagues. Those 2 weren't in the same universe as far as skill. But there are tons of mismatches in amateur and even small pro leagues.

There are quite a few amature leagues. Those 2 weren't in the same universe as far as skill. But there are tons of mismatches in amateur and even small pro leagues.

Yeah in upstate new york, some amateur cards get run and fights are pretty similar to this. One guy who trains out of a gym and another guy who trains out of his basement.

Are those type of leagues common? It seems like you would get awful mismatches.

You do, for sure. I attended an amateur event last year as my bro-in-law was fighting and there were over 90-fights in just one day. One x 5-minute round and no head shots. I saw quite a few fights where people were getting rag-dolled by competitors who had obviously received significantly more/better training...

Those first fights have got to be the worst. Who knows if you're going to get paired with the next Jon Jones and get absolutely annihilated. At least after a few fights you get an impression of your skill and your proposed opponent's skill level.

I wouldn't expect such tenderness and compassion in Prison City Fight League.

Good guy Filipino fighter. Isn't the Philippines routinely considered one of the friendliest countries?

Why? If my opponent isn't going to submit or quit I'd have zero problem beating him to death if that's what it took to win.

He could have fought defensively and taken a UD. Also, he could have taken the guy down and submitted him.

couldnt he just lay and pray to a decision win?

Well the guy was still standing and mostly coming forward so he must not have been hurting him too bad.

Huge mismatch in skill, but instead of tapping out why didn't he just take the guy down and work a submission or something?

That's one of the greatest occurances in this sport. Much respect for Mike Pantangco!

He could have fought defensively and taken a UD. Also, he could have taken the guy down and submitted him.

This is a much better option than tapping out

and what if he got injured some how in doing so? freak accident... be it foot work, offensive strike, fighting defensive... or what ever.

if he already made up in his mind that this is a obvious mismatch...and no point going further...AND they are not even going to get paid, or their professional record be affected? then yeah man, why risk it.

Back