CACC fighter Dennis "Superman" Halman's return to the UFC.

Title Fight Productions

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So wanted to make a thread regarding Dennis Halman's successful return to action in the UFC. If not for a last second (literally) left hook from John Howard than Dennis would be 2-0 in the UFC and knocked off two up and comers. Dennis dominated Howard for all 3 rounds and also Ben Saunders for 3 rounds using his newly focused on wrestling skills.

Dennis comes from similiar lineage as other great CACC MMA fighters Josh Barnett and the Shamrocks.

Lancashire Catch-Billy Riley-Karl Gotch- Fujiwara- Funaki-Hume- Hallman

He has recently coupled this great lineage with some new found wrestling coaching from Brad Swartz who has built a local North West wrestling dynasty by winning the masters world championships of wrestling 4 times i believe. he has 3 sons who all dominated the local high school wrestling scene and two of who are now members of the vaunted Boise State wrestling program that won Pac 10 Champions: 2000, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009.

I think its a rededication to wrestling that has made Dennis able to resurrect his career this late in the game.

Will be interesting to see who they match him up with next. Im personally thinking a match with Mike Swick would be good. Any other suggestions for a matchup at 170lbs?

Maybe a rematch with Matt Hughes since Hallman has choked Hughes out twice!!!!!!

Hallman vs Hughes has to happen, if Matt wins would be a great fight to retire on.

I might go as far as to say Hallman has better wrestling than Hughes does at this point.

Kinda bold statement but when was the last time Hughes really hit an impressive takedown in MMA?

I think its a rededication to wrestling that has made Dennis able to resurrect his career this late in the game.

Rededication...when did he stop?

Dennis is a very skilled submission grappler. Not the best genetics for fighting, what with his health issues and all, but he's been training so long that he has a lot of diverse skills on the ground.

I loved that sweep he his in the Saunders fight. You thought he as getting put on his back, and then boom he's on top.

Rededication...when did he stop?

Dennis is a very skilled submission grappler. Not the best genetics for fighting, what with his health issues and all, but he's been training so long that he has a lot of diverse skills on the ground.

I loved that sweep he his in the Saunders fight. You thought he as getting put on his back, and then boom he's on top.

He never stopped per say, but he hasn't been growing his skill set for awhile. Being the top dog at your gym just doesn't help you grow in skills imo. He "humbled" himself a bit and went into a new environment and and got on the mat with some kick ass guys to help up his game. That is what i meant. Swartz has seemed to build a new fire in Dennis's belly and i think its showing with some great dominant wrestling in his last two fights. He first went to Brad before his fight with Howard.

watch the serra fight. hordes of takedowns.

LOL, can you please define "hordes"?

Hughes got a trip from the clinch in round 1
a muscled Serra down once in round two also from the clinch
And had a nice driving takedown from the clinch in round 3.

I wouldn't say hordes at all.

My point is more that Hughes doesn't shoot from distance anymore and seem to need to be in the clinch to get a takedown. I see him reaching alot when standing. Of course he is still a great wrestler, but maybe a "different" wrestler now that he is older. No blast shots from Hughes anymore, wondering if his knees are somewhat shot.

I'm glad to see Dennis back in the big show and on the right track. He is a super nice guy. I think him and Hughes could have some drawbacks, though given Hughes' performance last night they might be lessened. Consider what everyone has been saying about Hughes being washed up and needing to retire. So if Dennis wins no big deal, if he loses, a "washed up" old timer beat him. Though I suppose they are probably in similar stages in their careers, Dennis seems to be more on the rise than the decline.

LOL, can you please define "hordes"?

Hughes got a trip from the clinch in round 1
a muscled Serra down once in round two also from the clinch
And had a nice driving takedown from the clinch in round 3.

I wouldn't say hordes at all.

My point is more that Hughes doesn't shoot from distance anymore and seem to need to be in the clinch to get a takedown. I see him reaching alot when standing. Of course he is still a great wrestler, but maybe a "different" wrestler now that he is older. No blast shots from Hughes anymore, wondering if his knees are somewhat shot.

He's had a ton of fights. Like with any contact sport he is out of his prime at this point. I am surprised he can survive the training, let alone the fights.

Hallman vs Hughes has to happen, if Matt wins would be a great fight to retire on.

Great idea, I think it would be an interesting fight. Dennis beat Saunders and was very impressive against Howard. Plus, Hughes is coming off wins over Serra, Renzo, and Almeida.

Saying Hallman is a better wrestler than Hughes is ridiculous.

Also, hasnt Hallman been training/fighting since the 90's? Now hes a CACC guy all of a sudden?

WTH man.

Saying Hallman is a better wrestler than Hughes is ridiculous.

Also, hasnt Hallman been training/fighting since the 90's? Now hes a CACC guy all of a sudden?

WTH man.

Yeah its a bit of a bold statement for sure. I just don't think Hughes MMA takedowns have been the same lately. I see him grabbing and reaching for the clinch instead of shoot blast single and doubles. Dennis's takedowns and control have look real good as of late.

And how is it all of a sudden? He was trained by Matt Hume along side Josh Barnett. How the hell isn't he a catch guy?

Its so funny how some BJJ guys get so butt hurt at the mere mention of CACC even when it isn't in regards to BJJ.

Please tell me what Hallman's grappling is categorized as? I mean i gave his lineage........

Hallman beat hughes once in like 18 seconds and another time in around a minute. One by GUillotine and one by triangled that Hughes tried to slam out of. Hughes claims Hallman was stronger than him and must have been on Roids due to Halmman having Backne.

Not sure what his style is but found some old interviews stating he has trained at/with the following:
AMC, Victory Athletics, Monson, Benji Radach. He was a state wrestling champ in Washington and his current Myspace advertises "Victory Athletics" as Kickboxing- US MMA- Wrestling.

MySpace - Dennis Hallman - 34 - Male - Olympia, Washington - myspace.com/victoryathletics

Not sure if that means anything but like all fighters I am SURE he is crosstrained,

Hughes vs. Hallman III will be pretty epic, regardless of what Matt might say, he will be eager to put a beating on Dennis.

Yeah its a bit of a bold statement for sure. I just don't think Hughes MMA takedowns have been the same lately. I see him grabbing and reaching for the clinch instead of shoot blast single and doubles. Dennis's takedowns and control have look real good as of late.

And how is it all of a sudden? He was trained by Matt Hume along side Josh Barnett. How the hell isn't he a catch guy?

Its so funny how some BJJ guys get so butt hurt at the mere mention of CACC even when it isn't in regards to BJJ.

Please tell me what Hallman's grappling is categorized as? I mean i gave his lineage........

why would a bjj guy get butt hurt over saying someone has better TDs than matt hughes?

Howard is not anything more than a gatekeeper and he beat hallman.

maybe hallman will go to SF and maybe get on the challengers prelims.

since he is training with barnett, do you think he is on the same "vitamins" as barnett?

why would a bjj guy get butt hurt over saying someone has better TDs than matt hughes?

My point exactly!:icon_chee

Howard is not anything more than a gatekeeper and he beat hallman.

He may be that now, but when Hallman fought him he was an exciting up and comer who people were watching, and Hallman handled him for 14 minutes and 55 seconds of there fight. Then he went on to beat Saunders who is another mid level up and comer.

since he is training with barnett, do you think he is on the same "vitamins" as barnett?

He already had a recent run in Strikeforce before the UFC and he did get popped for the "vitamins", but i don't think he is on them now, i think that his new wrestling coach has him on some legal and legit supplements.

Im not trying to turn this into an arguement thread, but the mere mention of "CACC" GASP!:eek: seems to get alot of people on here defensive.:icon_sad:

Back