Economy CA Governor proposes 6 mos paid leave

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Your idea of an "awesome time" was a period where women and minorities were second class citizens. Arguably, the things that people most liked about the period were directly enabled by institutional and cultural racism and sexism. "I'd support helping them find a place in the world that they liked better" is logically impossible in this case. Imagine someone saying they want a world where slavery is legal, but people that don't want to be slaves are free to do they're own thing. How can both scenarios coexist?
You can easily argue we should just give everyone that lifestyle but idiots always jump to you’re saying we should make black people slaves. This is not an argument.

You can easily argue we should just give everyone that lifestyle but idiots always jump to you’re saying we should make black people slaves. This is not an argument.
The problem is that you think that the great lifestyle that white men had back in the 50's and that it was a time before the civil rights era are unrelated.

EDIT: Also an issue is that people underestimate the effect of Socialized programs to building the middle class.

The problem is that you think that the great lifestyle that white men had back in the 50's and that it was a time before the civil rights era are unrelated.

EDIT: Also an issue is that people underestimate the effect of Socialized programs to building the middle class.
So the only reason we went to the moon is because black people couldnt eat at the same counter?

People talking about this luring workers in tech. How is that working in Europe? They don't even have a tech industry. California leads the world without this shit already.

Figures, pretends to be about family values until it interferes with his free market radicalism. Fake family value conservatives like you are a real detriment to actual family values conservatives.

If some hick state like Tennessee did this Rip would be cheering about how they are supporting strong Christian family values.

So the only reason we went to the moon is because black people couldnt eat at the same counter?
Seriously? Even your strawman sucks.
Compare dates between the civil rights era and the moon landing. Which came first?

Seriously? Even your strawman sucks.
Compare dates between the civil rights era and the moon landing. Which came first?
End of Jim Crow was 4 years earlier basically. If all of that can be erased in four years why are we still talking about it

End of Jim Crow was 4 years earlier basically. If all of that can be erased in four years why are we still talking about it
EDIT
You made a flawed argument and and now you're trying to cover it with another one?

EDIT
You made a flawed argument and and now you're trying to cover it with another one?
Same decade. Are there lingering effects or no? I just chose the event closest to it. Also do you think that project started in the smae year or was there some lead up. I mean Kevin Costner did a movie about it

Same decade. Are there lingering effects or no? I just chose the event closest to it. Also do you think that project started in the smae year or was there some lead up. I mean Kevin Costner did a movie about it

What a red herring.
1. You try a strawman fallacy
2. I call out your strawman, and also point out it doesn't make sense because your time periods are incorrect
3. You try to deflect anyway and insist we talk about your derailment.

No thanks.

What a red herring.
1. You try a strawman fallacy
2. I call out your strawman, and also point out it doesn't make sense because your time periods are incorrect
3. You try to deflect anyway and insist we talk about your derailment.

No thanks.
The planning took place well before it ended and the point I’m rejecting is that slavery et al is the only the reason whites did any of this, which is bullshit

lol at people thinking this is some feminist scheme

The planning took place well before it ended and the point I’m rejecting is that slavery et al is the only the reason whites did any of this, which is bullshit
Again, your dates are wrong. The space race didn't start until the end of the 50's/early 60's.
And you're focusing on a very specific aspect of the culture, instead of broad economic and cultural trends that's the premise of the original disagreement. There's nothing to refute because you're premise is misleading. Bring it to the lounge if you want to continue the subject.

Again, your dates are wrong. The space race didn't start until the end of the 50's/early 60's.
And you're focusing on a very specific aspect of the culture, instead of broad economic and cultural trends that's the premise of the original disagreement. There's nothing to refute because you're premise is misleading. Bring it to the lounge if you want to continue the subject.
This was the exact post my first response was to. It’s why we’re talking now. Jim Crow ended in the 60s. So again, are we arguing that the only reason we went to the moon is because of racism in America? That’s quite a leap. In fact it’s one giant leap for mankind

Here’s the post

This was the exact post my first response was to. It’s why we’re talking now. Jim Crow ended in the 60s. So again, are we arguing that the only reason we went to the moon is because of racism in America? That’s quite a leap. In fact it’s one giant leap for mankind

Here’s the post
You took my comment about lifestyle and made it specific to the space race. That's the giant leap.
Take it to the lounge if you want to continue. I'm done with you here.

In Canada, women have 12 - 18 months off after giving birth, you get the same amount of benefits either way (55% of insurable earnings, but the max you can recieve is around $28,000 CAN). The employer needs to hold your position during that time, and the payment comes from the govt via Employment Insurance. Because the amount you recieve is 55% of avg weekly earnings over the past however many months, most families still have to budget for reduced incomes. When my wife took 14 months off with our son, that 28k didn't come close to replacing her income but it did help. Some employers will pay the difference between the EI and your salary for a few weeks as a benefit.

I think that the our system is pretty good, I would rather have my EI payments go to people starting new families than go to lazy bums.

People talking about this luring workers in tech. How is that working in Europe? They don't even have a tech industry. California leads the world without this shit already.

I wonder how those multi billion dollar tech companies attract all that top talent? Couldn’t have anything to do with offering more competitive packages, including benefits? Nah, that’s probably stupid, forget I said that. Oh wait:

https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16...-companies-google-hp-facebook-twitter-netflix

Of the many things we learned in our recent survey of new moms returning to their jobs in tech, we found that maternity benefits are actually pretty good at tech companies — especially big ones. That’s good news for a sector that consistently struggles to employ enough women.

https://www.wired.com/story/will-others-follow-microsoft-on-paid-parental-leave/

Microsoft requires that even their contractors (cafeteria workers, janitors, etc.) offer parental leave.

<TheWire1>

Back