C.Beeby's MMA Log (MT/Wrestling/Luta Livre/Conditioning/Diet)

Recovery.

Plans for the future:
-Ice bruises
-Stretch daily
-Contrast showers daily
-Prehab MWF starting January 17th (when my training schedule picks up)
-GPP on mornings starting January 17th
-make sure I get good sleep with my new schedule
-use liniment before stretching (the only time I can get it off so as to not hurt teammates grappling without taking an extra shower)
-do 50/50 kicks on the bag MWF mornings and T/Th nights
-short prehab T/Th nights

1/12/11:

First day back, nice and light.

Grappling: 1 hour
Focusing on open guard and guard passes.

Thanks, ghostwipe.

1/12/11:

Wish my toe and ear would heal so I can get some top game going...

Grappling: 2 hours
Double leg from inside ties
High-C from collar tie
X-Guard sweep from sitting guard
Rolling: Worked mostly bottom open guard, a bit of passing and transitioning on top.

1/13/11:

Grappling:
Double leg from inside ties
Hi-C from collar tie to double
Seated guard to X-guard sweep
Rolling: Still no top, although my shin seems to be healed. Not the toe, though.

Last edited:
1/15/11:

50 kimura, guillotine, triangle, armbar, side to side jumping
Rolling: bit more top, toe feels okay. Worked taking the back when opponent turns away in side and mounted brabos. Not sticking to the plan but it is still difficult to pass with my toe.

1/17/11:

First day of my new schedule, quite excited for what the future holds.

AM
Rolling: Open guard and top control, still difficult to pass/base but it's getting better.

PM
Conditioning: 1 hour
Circuit and wrestling against the cage. Knew going in that my conditioning has declined and paced myself accordingly.

Muay Thai: 1 hour
1, rear foot jab to the head, cover, rear elbow, lead hook, rear kick, cover, uppercut elbow, rear elbow, lead kick x 2

Rolling: Open guard and passing as well as some control. Good submission chains from open guard.

1/18/11:

Started classes today and still maintained food intake, moral victory.

Talked to the boxing trainer of my friend's gym. It seems there won't be very much space for me to train there, but he helped reinforce the fact that I need to spar more.

Sparring: ~1 hour
Only worked with one guy. In the future I will work my angling more and getting in and out with him specifically, his style matches well for it.
Worked a bit of 2 to the body, 3 to the body, rear hook to the head into the plum.
Decent front kicks and lead uppercuts. Need to jab and cross more.

Taking the back is getting a bit better but still needs a lot of work from turtle. Worked open guard; spider guard to Braulio's reverse triangle set up as well as the shin on bicep and stomach sweep. Passing is getting a bit tighter.

1/19/11:

AM
Long warmup, I'm sore.
Rolling: Didn't give much effort and was quite tired. Open guard only.

No PM tonight, I have an introductory meeting for an online class I'm taking.

11/20/11:

Sparring:
Worked the jab, covering, countering and footwork the most. Sparring partner started throwing harder/more than I wanted to, so some takedowns as well. We normally do thai rules but we have an agreement that I'll take him down when he goes too hard.

Grappling:
Spinning armbar from KOB
Spinning defense from armbar
Spinning defense to near side armbar
Details: top leg first on near side armbar, scraping the head with the heel to hard pressure. Hold the leg the entire time and slide the KOB leg in slightly wider for more leverage bringing the knees together.
Rolling: watch the heelhook from shin across the stomach more, hands in on an armdrag to leg-locking arm once their knee comes up. More aggressive escaping the straight ankle lock to avoid opponent going belly down. Can't finish the triangle from upside down guard without escaping the body.

1/21/11:

AM
Jumping guard, standing backmount escape, spinning armbar from KOB, defense.
Rolling: coach wanted me to work half guard, and he's absolutely right.

PM
Coach was out, so this was self-motivated. 3 rounds of circuit with sprawl ball, sit up throw, sledgehammer tire, tire flipping, band throws, band pummeling, rows, pistols, 1 arm KB clean and lateral jumping

Sparring: 1 hour
4-5 rounds MT 3 rounds clinching. Class was focused on catching the kick, throwing it and kicking back.
Clinching with a wrestling background is fun.

Last edited:
1/24/11:

First day without head gear in a LONG time!!! Finally! It also didn't swell at all in the morning (a bit at night).

AM
My favorite MT instructor came over to work with us, could be potentially lucrative for me in the future.
Rolling: Passing feels tight, positions held well, sweep to sub combos and taking the back.

PM
Ground and pound; KOB, mount. Wrestling on the cage. Circuit. Wrestling on the cage. Circuit. Pullups to fail, hold on to bar 1 min. Wrestling on the cage.

12, rear elbow x2, parry, lead knee, rear elbow, rear kick, parry, lead kick, 2.

Rolling: Need to work on chaining escapes on bottom. Good open guard and passing.

Jacare came in to the gym, was cool watching him work with my coach and he will also be here later in the week as well. Maybe I'll get to roll with him. Seemed to be a very nice guy and I got some pictures.

Last edited:
1/25/11:

My right hand starts to drop in later rounds when I open up for the lead hook. Head movement, jabbing/foot jabbing and footwork moving in emphasized.

Jacare x 1

I asked my instructor if we could start doing takedowns on Tuesdays and Thursdays... he said yes and made me teach the class, so I didn't get to watch Jacare roll or spar with anyone... I shouldn't be bummed as it is normally my class to teach, but I can't help but feel like I missed out on a very rare opportunity.
Double leg, trip finish, traditional finish, pick up finish, sprawl.
Rolling: Open guard and guard retension on bottom, passing and transitions on top.

1/26/11:

AM
Still haven't gotten up for AM MT yet, but I've been waking up still tired so I should probably just sleep anyway.
Rolling: Feeling out of the groove, although my takedowns are alright, so I guess there's that.

PM
Around the world pullups, circuit, wrestling. Everyone was slow today so we switched to sprints, shuffling, sprawls, etc.

232, rear knee, step on knee, 3, rear hook, lead knee, step back on knee, 2 to the body, uppercut, rear hook.

Jacare x 1

This time I got to watch Jacare roll with some of my teammates and my coach. Beauty.
Rolling x 1 25 minute round.
Cross grab to defend leglockse, control the hips better during passes.

Last edited:
1/28/11:

Can't believe January is already almost over...

AM
Rolling: All bottom sweeps and open guard, considering soon I switch.

I have not been doing these, as I said I would:

-do 50/50 kicks on the bag MWF mornings and T/Th nights
-short prehab T/Th nights
-Prehab MWF starting January 17th (when my training schedule picks up)
-GPP on mornings starting January 17th

For February:

-Hotter/Colder contrast showers and more stretching
-Impliment post-workout kicking
-Start doing some prehab and GPP
-Closed guard passes on top with guys who are difficult to pass, pass to sub with guys who are difficult to sub.
-Working out of bad positions to guard submission/sweep combos on bottom with guys who have good bottom, working out of bad positions to submission combos/getting up with guys who have good top

Last edited:
1/31/11:

AM
Rolling: More passing from closed guard and more sweep/sub combos on bottom. Good holding position on top.

PM
Did footwork/overhead muscle endurance stuff on the ladder to warm up
50 foot clappers
Wrestling, circuit, wrestling, circuit, sprints and sprawls, wrestling.

23, cut off angle, lead hook x 2, lead knee, lead kick x 2, cut off angle, rear hook x 2, rear knee, rear kick

Rolling: Taking the back, passing from closed guard, sweep combos.

Last edited:
2/01/11:

No one to spar with... this is a far cry from days when we had a dozen fighters sweating at 4:30...

Taught double, finish, getting up off of the double (feeding the single), getting up to taking the back, getting up to jumping to the back (Andre Galvao-esque), getting up to jumping to the back to spiral ride to chair sit to back.
Teaching notes: TOO MANY TECHNIQUES.
Rolling notes: When one leg is pushed to the mat in BFG, flare the other one out more.

2/02/11:

AM
Taught open guard to DLR to back.
Rolling notes: Starting to feel more fluid through all these additional sessions.

50/50 kicks.
Stretching.

PM
Dragging serious ass on this.

Out of the groove. Jabbing and catch/check counters. Some crossing and hooks to the body.
Notes: Need more weight on the front foot, since I am southpaw I can do a tight inside check and catch for outside kicks.

More DLR stuff.
Rolling: As I am flattened out in butterfly, feet on the hips. More pressure with butterfly hooks. Work on shooting to the double when opponent backs up in butterfly.
EDIT: Got my first ever hip bump triangle!!! It was on a white belt, so what :)

Last edited:
2/03/11:

Seems my toe has been re-injured... Ice and anti-inflammatory meds tonight.

Sparring: 45 minutes
Focusing on being heavier on the front foot, checking inside, jabbing and uppercuts.

Takedowns x 30 minutes. More throw-by than usual.
Rolling: noted using feet on hips when getting flattened in butterfly.

Back