Buying Winning boxing gears from Koubudo Rakuten

One time I emailed Kazumichi for 2 weeks straight. I call him up and manage to catch him. He asks me if I'm the one sending those emails. I'm think to myself 'what the f*ck??!'. If he saw the email why the hell didn't he just respond??!!

Japanese customer service = passive aggressiveness to a rofl-copter level
Even at our most polite, Americans come off as too direct and confrontational. Japanese hate direct confrontation.

Crap, living in Japan for 4 years, I saw that that's pretty much how most people are. If they don't like you, they won't tell you to your face; they'll just kick over your trash can every day and have their dog poo in your driveway.

It's never happened to me, but I saw a lot of it.

crazy megahorse, but at least now I know it's not just me. What's strange is that I had an incredibly easy and problem free transaction with the americaya shop in the past with some bag gloves etc, but now that I want to place a few custom orders nothing lol. I'll keep all of what's been said in mind and give koubudo a try, since at this point it seems i've been blackballed for trying to send them my money lol.

crazy megahorse, but at least now I know it's not just me. What's strange is that I had an incredibly easy and problem free transaction with the americaya shop in the past with some bag gloves etc, but now that I want to place a few custom orders nothing lol. I'll keep all of what's been said in mind and give koubudo a try, since at this point it seems i've been blackballed for trying to send them my money lol.

Yea, just play it cool and be super respectful. Sometimes you just can't win.

I waited about 10-11 months for a custom groin guard and gloves from Mitani at America-ya. I had to send an email basically begging him to respond and just let me know if he had the gear or if I should do a credit card reversal - he got back to me the next day. He said the items were misplaced in his warehouse. I received the items and thanked him profusely for accommodating me, but now he refuses to answer any email I send him.

So basically I was black listed for his own mistake, but maybe my handling of the situation?? Idk what I did wrong man lol. It's like mind blowing to me. I showed the emails to Taskmaster99 and he couldn't believe WTF he was seeing lol.

Yea, just play it cool and be super respectful. Sometimes you just can't win.

I waited about 10-11 months for a custom groin guard and gloves from Mitani at America-ya. I had to send an email basically begging him to respond and just let me know if he had the gear or if I should do a credit card reversal - he got back to me the next day. He said the items were misplaced in his warehouse. I received the items and thanked him profusely for accommodating me, but now he refuses to answer any email I send him.

So basically I was black listed for his own mistake, but maybe my handling of the situation?? Idk what I did wrong man lol. It's like mind blowing to me. I showed the emails to Taskmaster99 and he couldn't believe WTF he was seeing lol.

I almost forgot about that story. By the way MEGA.....that email you had me send.......no response....lmao!!!!! He said screw you Americans!!!!

lmao! ordered from koubudo, and that same night got a reply confirming my custom order. So much easier and no drama thankfully. From here on out I may just have a Japanese dude that's one of my students write my emails for me to these sellers just so there's a smaller risk ok sounding like an asshole american lol.

I almost forgot about that story. By the way MEGA.....that email you had me send.......no response....lmao!!!!! He said screw you Americans!!!!

You didn't include our brony cosplay pics, did you? I TOLD YOU TO INCLUDE THE BRONY PICS

I ordered a pair of winning gloves and a head gear in May from Koubudo.

Initially I was told that my order wasn't in stock and would take til mid june to arrive to their stores. Which I agreed to before giving payment. It's now almost July and they have not replied to 2 emails in the last 2 weeks asking for an update on the status of my order. I don't care if it takes longer but I'd like a reply.

Anyone else experience a long delay without response???I just want to know when I can expect the goods? Or if I should contact pay pal and try to recoup my money?

Never ordered from koubudo but mitani is famous or infamous for playing dead for months at a time. So im sure its more of the same but keep emailing to have a track record just incase something does go wrong

33afj4l.jpg

Despite long time reader of this forum, this is a my first post.
I would like to start this thread with first saying "Thanks to all of you guys who share your experience with other forum members"
I got a tons of information from this forum.
If I have any boxing gear question this is my go to forum to find out answers.

I searched and I don't see many experience with Koubudo Rakuten. (I think i saw one or two). I decide to share my buying experience with 'infamous' Koubudo from Rakuten website.

Read and heard about 'famous' America Ya is the cheapest and best way to purchase the winning gears. However, when I am ready to pull the trigger, they didn't have the color I want in stock. Which is Black 10oz Winning gloves lace up aka MS-300. (Now they do)

For your reference

America Ya's website in Rakuten
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/boxing/

Koubudo's website in Rakuten
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/koubudo/

I didn't want to wait for 10 oz black ti come in stock. Who know how long it is going to take. I've been waiting for this moment long time and lack of patience lead me to buy my winning glove from somewhere else. Which is Koubudo. From my research, Price of Winning gloves in America Ya and Koubudo are very close each other may be one or two dollar difference. However, There are pros and cons from each seller.

America Ya

Pro:
1. Well known seller, good reputation seller.
2. Kind enough to write gift on description section on the EMS label to avoid custom charge
3. Do speak english

Con: 1. Add 10% international handling charge.
2. Takes little bit more time then Koubduo to get reply mail 48 hrs to 72 hrs.

Koubudo
Pro:
1.There are no stupid 10% international handling fee
2. They answered my question within 24 hrs. Send an e mail at night (eastern time). Next morning there is a reply e mail on my inbox.

Con:
1. This is fact from my experience--> Koubudo write detailed description of what we purchased plus whatever amount we paid. According to other forum member because of detailed description of purchase, we do get charged for custom ( This is what I read somewhere on the forum)
2. This is from my experience -->They don't speak english!!!! I believe they are using google translator to read your email and reply. Make sure you use simple sentence to ask or communicate with them.
More complicated sentence you use, you will more likely get complicated rather hard to understand reply mail you will get. Most of time, you can figure it out what they meant. (Don't have to be frustrated) It is understandable with little bit of effort.

Thought about it few sec and I would assumed that either paying extra 10% international handling charge or paying custom fee would be similar. (Honestly, I don't know how much custom will charge. I just assumed that no more than 15%)

May 21, 2014
I placed order of Winning boxing glove Black 10 oz --> JPY 20196
Winning Vantage expansion type (VL-B) --> JPY 1200
Glove Name Processing -->JPY 1
Ask them how to add screen print via e mail. They told me to buy glove name processing which is 1 yen but it will be deducted when they charge you. However, Embroidery they will charge you 4320 yen
Here is the link they sent me
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/koubudo/item/10002429/***
After you choose all the option. (Color, letter, screen print or embroidery), you have to sent them an email.
FYI their term for screen print is Name Processing. When I communicate with Koubudo, Koubudo used the term Name Processing instead of Screen Print. I used the both just in case if there are any confusion.

This is how I wrote on an e mail

Subject: Winning Boxing Glove Name Processing
Order number : Your order number
I bought winning gloves, and name processing,
I want my screen print to be
I want my Winning Glove name processing

Color: White
Letter body : 7. Chinese characters
Processing methods : Print
Left Glove —> Whatever you want to write
Right Glove —> Whatever you want to write

May 29, 2014 Koubudo sent me shipping and tracking Information

May 31, 2014 Delivered.
Total item amount: 21492 yen
Shipping to New York via Japan EMS: 2400 yen
Total payment: 23892 yen = $240.93
b7l24k.jpg

I did not get charged for custom.
I don't have the site address but I read on the government internet web page if you import product from the foreign under 200 dollars you will not get charged from custom.
Here is three possibility I didn't have to pay custom
My total amount was closed to $200
Any of my item is not over $200
Maybe I am lucky. lol

152p3t0.jpg

Didn't want to ask for people to lace my glove every time I need to use. So I bought hickies.
Feel bit loose compare to the lace.
FYI I have relatively small hands and thin forearm.
But gloves doesn't come off or move around though. Just have bit of space between forearm and wrist support section of gloves. When lace up the glove there are no space at all.
Will try regular elastic lace next few days,

Thank you for reading my post :)
Hey there, Do you know what Text Font they used on Your glove? Thank you!

Hii,
I want to ask if someone who order from koubudo must pay handling fee too like from america ya?

Btw in my opinion, don't email them directly, just order from them through rakuten. Hope it will be useful. Thank you

Hii,
I want to ask if someone who order from koubudo must pay handling fee too like from america ya?

Btw in my opinion, don't email them directly, just order from them through rakuten. Hope it will be useful. Thank you

I've ordered from them yesterday.

Yes there is a shipping fee.

After ordering, wait for them to send you an email that lets you know if your order is in stock.

If yes, they will include the shipping cost then ask if you want to confirm the order.

What did you order?

I ordered (Koubudo) Winning 10oz AM-10 Red amateur competition gloves. Shipping costs around $29.

Hii,

I ordered from Koubudo many times.
It did not write down the details of $ ordered.
So Do Not need to worry about custom fee.

It charged you the listed item price + Shipping Fee - international(Depends how heavy ur items)
Once they noticed you the shipping day, you will received it in 3 days by EMS shipping.

Just placed two orders, one for Koboudo and one for America YA. I used this easter coupon at checkout:

LOC5-TONE-M8AB-LDM5

It got me 2000 yen off my orders for $90 or more. The coupon should've expired by now, but I placed my order two days ago, and received the confirmation from both shops that it worked. I entered today again, and it looks as though the coupon will work even now. It's about $18 off of an order of $90 or more, which is pretty great. Just thought I'd give a heads up, pretty sweet as I never thought I'd get a discount on winning gear :)

i dont really like the official bigger sticker on the glove anyways my gf wants to buy me a pair of winning gloves i wana get a 14-16 oz pair i guess for sparring wheres the cheapest place to get them i was thinking amazon i didnt really like the japanese sites posted here

also i like the way the lace up gloves look are they better than the hook and loop in your opinion i have never tried on a pair

Last edited:
i dont really like the official bigger sticker on the glove anyways my gf wants to buy me a pair of winning gloves i wana get a 14-16 oz pair i guess for sparring wheres the cheapest place to get them i was thinking amazon i didnt really like the japanese sites posted here

also i like the way the lace up gloves look are they better than the hook and loop in your opinion i have never tried on a pair
You should use punctuation marks more often.

Rakuten is usually a lot cheaper than Amazon or eBay. If you buy off Amazon you're still ordering from Japan a lot of times. I once bought Winning gloves from Amazon and a rib protector from Rakuten at around the same time. The gloves took about four times as long to arrive than the rib protector.

I always get laceup but it's a matter of preference.

Just placed two orders, one for Koboudo and one for America YA. I used this easter coupon at checkout:

LOC5-TONE-M8AB-LDM5

It got me 2000 yen off my orders for $90 or more. The coupon should've expired by now, but I placed my order two days ago, and received the confirmation from both shops that it worked. I entered today again, and it looks as though the coupon will work even now. It's about $18 off of an order of $90 or more, which is pretty great. Just thought I'd give a heads up, pretty sweet as I never thought I'd get a discount on winning gear :)

Nice!

What did you order?

Anyone with experience with the amateur gloves have any guestimations on how long they think it'll last on the heavy bag?

Last edited:
I ordered a pair of bag mitts with the old label, always wanted a pair. Plus they were right around $90 bucks. The coupon essentially gives you free shipping which is nice.

This is a Rakuten coupon code. I've been getting their email newsletters ever since ordering from their site for the first time. The option is during the checkout phase.

Back