buying supplements from small and unknown companies

James37

White Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone see the senate hearing about the supplements (and contaminants found in those supplements)? Supposedly most of the (bad) tested products were from small, unknown companies and certainly not from large, established (or even small established) companies. Something to keep in mind...

What we should keep in mind is that our FDA doesn't regulate anything for us. That our Congress is worthless and caters to the rich/corporations.

Small supplement companies?? What about Tylenol? Sheesh..

The point of the findings is that given a choice between small and unknown vs. big and well established, generally speaking its safer to go with the well known brands. It makes sense too -- small and unknown brands risk nothing (brand name etc) by producing crap. Think about it. :)

I buy in a local, medium company. Prices are cheaper and they provide HPLC of their products if you ask for it.

go with a company that you trust and that you feel puts out good quality stuff. the big companies are huge, but that doesn't mean that they are better

See, there are two common misconceptions that I've seen/heard from small and unknown companies and their sales people. Sometimes these misconceptions are repeated by (overly trusting) consumers making the misconception somehow an accepted fact.

1) Buy our product. It's better because we don't advertise and you will not pay inflated prices because of that.

This is simply not true. Data does not support it. In the senate hearing small and unknown companies *consistently* produced supplements loaded with contaminants. *Consistently*.

2) There are only a few labs in the world that manufacture these things. You are buying essentially the same product but just packaged differently.

That's another one you should watch for. While its true that there are several well establishing and well known quality labs out there, there are maaaaany bad ones too.

My rule of thumb, and I might be wrong on this, is that chem from EU and specifically from Germany and Canada is regulated and is usually good. Another thing I watch for is how long the company has been in business. Some small and well established companies don't advertise as much simply because they have been around for 20+ years. They have good quality stuff and their advertising is done by the quality of product and word of mouth.

Last edited:
the big companies are huge, but that doesn't mean that they are better

Good point. Nothing is black and white. Case in point the Casein protein. Some large companies make it, but the stuff is garbage and nobody should gunk their system with it.

I usually ask experienced athletes what they take and go from there...

go with a company that you trust and that you feel puts out good quality stuff. the big companies are huge, but that doesn't mean that they are better

Excellent point. Wasn't long ago that Muscle Milk was shown to have above recommended levels of heavy metals and they're one of the biggest companies out there. In the supplement industry size doesn't necessarily equal quality. In my experience it usually means great advertising. See T-nation for details.

Back