Buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff?

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else buying stuff you don't need? Seems like I've run out of things to want, so I've been buying random stuff or researching what to buy. Every weekend, I feel like I have to go out and look for something to spend money on. Not good for the wallet..

Whenever I have a day off from work I almost always go out and get stuff, I just can't stay home and sit still. This ranges from grocery shopping when my fridge is mostly full to buying tools that I may or may not need. Bought a pair of $200 sunglasses last week while I already have 2 pair of oakleys that are still in ok shape, I ended up returning them though

Anyone else buying stuff you don't need? Seems like I've run out of things to want, so I've been buying random stuff or researching what to buy. Every weekend, I feel like I have to go out and look for something to spend money on. Not good for the wallet..

I have the same problem,buying things i dont need.Checking things out constantly,ordering stuff online.We might be manic dude.If you notice it's a compulsive thing.

Steam games here too. And books on the kindle. Almost bought a tablet the other day but someone called me on the phone and saved me.
Most of the time I get stuff into some online shopping cart and I look at it, shake my head and close the browser tab though.

But yeah. Closing in on 300 games on steam now. Fucking sales.

"The things you own, end up owning you."

A few hundred years ago.We had to go hunting just for a meal.Now we sit and order stuff all day.It's good but sad at the same time.

Books on kindle are my weakness. I tend to read 2 books a week. Before I use to buy like 8 books on kindle then read 2, then want new ones.

Now I only allow myself 3 books a month to download.

I think this is a issue when your bored and when you have cash. During my broke days I couldnt go out and buy so i would browse online a lot. When I starting making money from my business I ended up clicking buy on those previous browsing items. Often times I remind myself remember when you were broke you didnt buy that because you didnt need it, well dont buy it cause you dont need it.

Books on kindle are my weakness. I tend to read 2 books a week. Before I use to buy like 8 books on kindle then read 2, then want new ones.

I think this is a issue when your bored and when you have cash. During my broke days I couldnt go out and buy so i would browse online a lot. When I starting making money from my business I ended up clicking buy on those previous browsing items. Often times I remind myself remember when you were broke you didnt buy that because you didnt need it, well dont buy it cause you dont need it.

I have a policy that I don't buy a new book until I finish the one I'm currently reading.

The books I want probably aren't going anywhere so there's no rush, I figure.

I feel you though TS. I just bought a $200 watch and now I'm wondering what the hell is wrong with me.

My big dumb thing recently has been buying books I already own in hardcover or paperback on the kindle. Even stuff I know I probably won't read again, at least not any time soon.

I head to Walgreens at least once a week to buy a whole lot of useless nothings
imo it's the best place to go to buy that kinda of stuff

I went through a stage like that after high school. Relatively good paying job with almost no expenses. Yeah i musta spent thousands on useless crap

I'm the opposite...can't remember the last thing I really bought for myself. Every purchase is something for the house (decorative or repair/maintenance-ish), something for kids, or a necessity like pants. As far as just buying random shit, pretty much never. I actually can't bring myself to buy stuff that's spur of the moment. Nearly everything I buy is fairly well thought out and planned ahead of time. Even at the grocery store, I'll go in with a list and won't buy a single thing that's not on the list. This isn't necessarily a frugal thing either as I do spend a good amount of money...it's just that I think I've been through the buyers remorse one too many times years ago and now I know to do a little research and get stuff I actually need/want rather than seeing something that looks cool and just buying it.

I was like it in the UK but moving twice in 18 months was a bitch so I've reined it in quite a bit now.

World of Warcraft, I feel like you buy stuff just to kill people.

Bear traps

Evil dogs that kill people

Guns, many guns

Barbed wire for your fortress/home.

lol/jk

-- I personally don't buy stuff just to buy stuff. I spend a ton of money on eating out and not cooking and then I buy things I really want, and thats how I spend my money.

"The things you own, end up owning you."

This.

I used to buy a shitload of comic collectables including action figures, statues about 5 years ago. I moved and realized most of the shit I bought were just there. Luckily for me, statues tend to hold up in value so I just sold it to a good friend for a small profit. Action figures, I lost money on for the most part.

I also bought DVD's every week that I don't even watch once a year. Now my rule is to only buy movies that I'll watch at least once a year. DVD's are shitty in the secondary market. I should just give them to goodwill instead of selling on ebay, shit is not worth it.

I'm addicted to surfing Amazon and looking at positive reviews. I have a whole bunch of things I don't need in my Wish List. I don't buy a whole lot because I'm poor, though.

Been holding myself back. Recently I have been contemplating picking up The Dresden Files in hardcover, I love that series.

Amazon wise...I am addicted to sending samples of books to my kindle. If I don't like it I don't buy it.

I impulse buy out in the real world all the time. "Hey, this blu-ray looks cool," and then I never watch it...

This.

I used to buy a shitload of comic collectables including action figures, statues about 5 years ago. I moved and realized most of the shit I bought were just there. Luckily for me, statues tend to hold up in value so I just sold it to a good friend for a small profit. Action figures, I lost money on for the most part.

I also bought DVD's every week that I don't even watch once a year. Now my rule is to only buy movies that I'll watch at least once a year. DVD's are shitty in the secondary market. I should just give them to goodwill instead of selling on ebay, shit is not worth it.

I tried to use Amazon's DVD buy back program. You enter in the UPC codes of movies and their condition. When all is said and done they give you a giftcard for all of the movies you send them. 2 hours and and 50 movies later I think my grand total was roughly $15 due to a mojority of them were worth < $1 or they had such a large stock they wern't even taking them. I ended up just giving them to my mom who sends stuff like that back to the Philipines.

Back