Buying new smartphone, need advise!

huawei ascend mate

because bigger IS better.

huaweimate.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S4? its not even out yet, id go with Note 2

Reviews have been mostly favourable so far. It's supposedly better than most operating systems with the exception of iOS.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/video/m...rry-10-XZ4LCpIATLa8fJ711PB87A.html?cmpid=yhoo

And it has the best mobile browser too.

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/blackberry-best-mobile-browser-2012-11-09

it only took them what 6-7 years to realize they were using an outdated OS
lol jesus i hate BBs with a passion maybe this new phone wont suck as much as
the os 7 phones

it only took them what 6-7 years to realize they were using an outdated OS
lol jesus i hate BBs with a passion maybe this new phone wont suck as much as
the os 7 phones

Lol. It took a few years for them to realize that not everyone was in love with their keyboard.

Why the hate? Or is just cool to hate on Blackberry?

Samsung Galaxy S4? its not even out yet, id go with Note 2

I know that it's not our yet, I'm just thinking about which one to buy to replace the one I have.

I don't have any problem waiting 2 or 3 months before buying it.

How about the Nexus 4 TS?

If you can find it in stock.

1287666826226.png

Last edited:
Lol. It took a few years for them to realize that not everyone was in love with their keyboard.

Why the hate? Or is just cool to hate on Blackberry?

ive used BBs for a couple years at work and i have to say they cant compete
with android ios they have/had small screens, crappy touch screens, horrible
and slow browser

our it manager would brag about the security and bbm but how often do
average joe's phones get hacked and nobody i know has a bb

ive used BBs for a couple years at work and i have to say they cant compete
with android ios they have/had small screens, crappy touch screens, horrible
and slow browser

our it manager would brag about the security and bbm but how often do
average joe's phones get hacked and nobody i know has a bb

That's true but they were older models. It's a bit unfair to compare a phone that's threes years old to one that has just been released.

Security is going to become more important in the near future. People will be using their phones to do everything. They will replace credit cards and bank cards, and everyone's sensitive information will be on their phone.

From what I've been hearing ios isn't as secure as Apple led people to believe it was, and android is the most vulnerable os on the market. BB10 is pre certified by the US government for its security.

Is blackberry even going to make it out of 2013?

They won't run out of cash, but they might be sold after the launch. There is still demand in emerging markets and parts of Europe, and they still have 79 million subscribers.

Personally I'm thinking about grabbing the S4 but I'm worried about security so BB10 could be the way to go.

Dude, if you're not buying a new phone until April, when the S4 is slated to be released, then it's far too early to expect an informed response. There's no telling what will have actually dropped until then. This thread is pointlessly premature.

Are there any new, GOOD, phones that have come out that aren't touchscreens? I still have an old BlackBerry Bold from like 2009 or before, lmao. I think I might get a new phone, but I don't want to get a touchscreen.

They should launch with 70 000 apps. How many apps do people need? I read somewhere that most of the 700 000 apps that Apple has don't even get downloaded. Of the remaining apps that do get downloaded how many are fart buttons, solitaire games or links to websites?

Not that many apps are needed, it just depends on the person. When I bought a Nexus 7, I found that several apps I use often on iOS were not available in the Google Play store and that really made me change my mind, considering some of the alternatives were just not that good.

The smartphone industry is more like the car industry, there's lots of room for competition. Sales of 1.5 billion units are expected in 2016. There will be other competing operating systems in the near future. Samsung will try Tizen and other companies will follow. Android can't maintain over 70 percent of the market forever.

I think this is true in developing countries, but people don't seem to like to deal with multiple OS's. We saw it on desktops: 'Windows or Apple'? Then it was 'iOS or Android'? People get more and more locked into OS ecosystems, invest in apps, games, music and movies and the interconnectivity of devices. But who knows, sometimes companies falter (like RIM) and people jump ship for something else. Either way, the competition is a good thing.

Not that many apps are needed, it just depends on the person. When I bought a Nexus 7, I found that several apps I use often on iOS were not available in the Google Play store and that really made me change my mind, considering some of the alternatives were just not that good.

I think this is true in developing countries, but people don't seem to like to deal with multiple OS's. We saw it on desktops: 'Windows or Apple'? Then it was 'iOS or Android'? People get more and more locked into OS ecosystems, invest in apps, games, music and movies and the interconnectivity of devices. But who knows, sometimes companies falter (like RIM) and people jump ship for something else. Either way, the competition is a good thing.

Being locked into an ecosystem seems like a shitty way to keep a customer. I don't think that model can last. Sooner or later people are going to realize they are being penned in. Apps will end up being available across platforms, you can already download Android apps for Blackberry.

Microsoft isn't going anywhere. They will force their way into the market if they have to.
Samsung sells the most smartphones. They plan to ship half a billion next year. They can't stick with just Android because Google will be releasing its own phones.
Operating systems will become more common and other smartphone companies will find it cheaper to release their own operating system.

Are there any new, GOOD, phones that have come out that aren't touchscreens? I still have an old BlackBerry Bold from like 2009 or before, lmao. I think I might get a new phone, but I don't want to get a touchscreen.
Your best bet is- as it always was- Nokia.

Who knows when the S4 is coming out? Possibly as early as March or April. If you can wait that long, I'd hold off on buying the other phones. The rumors are an octacore processor, Android 5.0., 5" display.

It depends on what you want. If you invested a lot into the Google system, you may want to stick with Android. I have my music uploaded to Google Play, Google Voice is essential for me. I use Gmail. I also prefer Google maps to other mapping services. Google now on Jelly Bean is a great feature. There are apps that I like in which there are no equivalents on Windows. I think that there are 3rd party apps on Windows Mobile 8 for Google Play, Voice, and Maps, but don't know how they work. There is something about Google not supporting Microsoft exchange mail in the next month or two, so I don't know if that means that the native email app on Windows Mobile 8 will not be able to have gmail setup. You can root an Android, install custom ROMs, side load flash, etc.

The Nokia Lumia 920 is a solid phone. I played around with it at the AT&T store. I like it, but am not quite ready to make the switch to Windows phone yet. Maybe as it matures more.

I was thinking about holding off for an S4, but AT&T has S3's (refurbished) at $29 now, so I ordered one. I was ready to buy a Note 2. I figured that with the $270 I'm saving from not buying a Note 2, or probably estimated $170 for not buying a new S4 (I'm speculating that the S4 will come in at $199), I can buy a lot of goodies (like accessories or a Chromebook eventually). With the current capabilities and me not being a power user, the S3 is enough phone for me.

S4 all the way. I've been waiting for the last 6 months to upgrade when that thing goes on sale.

Back