Buying my first gun(s)

I think the trigger is better than Glock’s. And it was unreliable for some because the military would use the shitty Checker mags.
I was just reading that the more recent reliability tests, the 92 and it’s variants have proven to be extremely reliable, so I’ll concede on that point. I know a lot of the bad reliability rap that they got were from guys in the military that were being handed beaten down poorly maintained service pistols, so not a totally fair judgement I suppose. The trigger is obviously subjective, but I think the DA pull is something like 16+ pounds?

I was just reading that the more recent reliability tests, the 92 and it’s variants have proven to be extremely reliable, so I’ll concede on that point. The trigger is obviously subjective, but I think the DA pull is something like 16+ pounds?
Oh okay I was talking about single action.

I love me some 1911s. They’re beautiful guns, and the feel in the hand is just superb to pretty much anything else, even 109 years later. A ton of history behind them obviously.

That being said, they’re just not reliable as a whole. I’d never tell someone to not buy one, but reliability shouldn’t be listed in the pro column for them either.

I certainly don't hate them, definitely fantastic shooters. In fact if quality 2011's were a bit cheaper and you didn't need $150 tuned magazines I'd own a couple. But reliability is not a strong suite. I feel you need to be lucky to get a reliable one.

I certainly don't hate them, definitely fantastic shooters. In fact if quality 2011's were a bit cheaper and you didn't need $150 tuned magazines I'd own a couple. But reliability is not a strong suite. I feel you need to be lucky to get a reliable one.
$150 mags? :eek:

So I should go out and buy a weapon that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and then need to take time to familiarize myself with it, rather than a weapon I can take down and put back together in my sleep? Keep in mind, I’m talking about buying my FIRST gun. Seems to make more sense to buy something I already know.

Good lord. You act like you need a degree in rocket science to work a pistol. If anything, knowing what you know about Beretta's makes you over qualified to run a Glock. Which is even simpler to break down and maintain with less parts. If this is gonna just be a bed side gun go ahead then, but I guarantee if you had bought it for CCP you'd switch out in a very short time. How do I know? I also tried conceal carrying a Beretta for a bit and ignored the advice I was given because, reasons.

If you're gonna get a Beretta, at least be smart and buy one that's decocker only with a rail for a weapon light.

qvo116-2.jpg

Agree to disagree on this one. Even at $550, look at the rest of the offerings on the market. The beretta 92 has a notoriously shitty trigger, it’s comparably very heavy, and it’s size is rather large compared to its capacity. And I’m sure there are plenty of reliable examples of them, but as a whole, they are not known as being exceptionally reliable firearms.

For the same price, or cheaper:
-Glock 17/19
- Smith M&P
-Springfield XD
-CZ P10 series
-Sig P320

I’m probably leaving a few out, and I’d even throw the Beretta Px4 on that list as well.

Again, not “hating” on it. Just pointing out it’s rather mediocre compared to the other guns in the market today at that price point.

I see in another response you walked back the reliability criticism. My experience has been zero malfunctions. As for the trigger, Beretta owners know to swap out the mainspring for some improvement. Also, your recommendations above are striker-fired. Some of us prefer hammer-fired.

I'll agree that it's larger in the grip than I would like and that's probably why mine hasn't been shot much. That and the CZ 75 exists. :)

Then I'm a lucky dude. These have all worked for me.
  • CZ 1911-A1
  • Randall
  • Guncrafter Industries
  • 2 Custom Caspians (only problem has been the lefty gun hitting me in the head with brass if limp-wristed)

Granted none of them have high round counts (except maybe the Randal which was purchased used). But I'd expect failures to appear early, during the break-in period. Of course 3 of the 5 are multi-thousand-dollar guns. and the CZ was made by Dan Wesson.

Good lord. You act like you need a degree in rocket science to work a pistol. If anything, knowing what you know about Beretta's makes you over qualified to run a Glock. Which is even simpler to break down and maintain with less parts. If this is gonna just be a bed side gun go ahead then, but I guarantee if you had bought it for CCP you'd switch out in a very short time. How do I know? I also tried conceal carrying a Beretta for a bit and ignored the advice I was given because, reasons.

If you're gonna get a Beretta, at least be smart and buy one that's decocker only with a rail for a weapon light.

qvo116-2.jpg
Nah, I already knew it’s not a good gun for concealed. Even the compact models aren’t very compact.

I see in another response you walked back the reliability criticism. My experience has been zero malfunctions. As for the trigger, Beretta owners know to swap out the mainspring for some improvement. Also, your recommendations above are striker-fired. Some of us prefer hammer-fired.

I'll agree that it's larger in the grip than I would like and that's probably why mine hasn't been shot much. That and the CZ 75 exists. :)
I would have said a Cz 75 or any of its variants, but tougher to find for $550. Although, even for hammer fired guns in that price range, I personally would prefer a CZ P-07 or P-09, a Sig SP2022, or an E series XD.

I would have said a Cz 75 or any of its variants, but tougher to find for $550. Although, even for hammer fired guns in that price range, I personally would prefer a CZ P-07 or P-09, a Sig SP2022, or an E series XD.

So you don't wanna buy my M9?

On topic, if your stuck on berretas, I'd suggest the apx. Nice gun and alot cheaper than a 92

My store just got several Wilson Combat Beretta 92G's and its hard as f-k to not blow my bonus on one right now. feels good man.

Returned to report on my purchase. I went with the new 92X. The thinner hand grips are perfect for my smallish hands. It fit right in and I realized I had been missing something these last 9 years since I separated. Also bought some hollow points for home defense and some rounds for the range (now I need to find a place to shoot). The shop didn’t have one with the g model de cocker only lever.
Stock photo:

92x-Cent01.jpg

Any recommendations on a light?

Back