Buying my first gi

dr.feelgood

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying my first gi. Price range I'm thinking $120 max, preferably more around $100. I was going to go with a Gameness Pearl White Single Weave Gi, but Budovideos is the only place I can find selling it any they don't have any A2's. I was looking at some Badboy and Fuji's too, but I'm not sure what I should go with. I just need something decent that will last, and preferably dry quickly.
Any suggestions?

Provided you don't have an extreme body type that would leave you genuinely uncomfortable in it, I think the choice of a first gi always begins and ends with the Fuji single weave.

I think it will depend on your size and body shape. As different gi's may fit different body types better. I have just bought my first gi and got back from my first class using it. I went with a keiko raca limited as they are said to be better for lanky types.

I seriously think a fushida mantis is becoming the gi I recommend to a beginner its 95 bucks and its fitted for you ...you cant go wrong .

Padilla and Sons... their sizing chart is pretty dead on. Got one for my first Gi a few weeks back. Looking at Fushida Mantis for my next one...

Padilla and Sons... their sizing chart is pretty dead on. Got one for my first Gi a few weeks back. Looking at Fushida Mantis for my next one...

P&S is a great starter gi. But depending on your body size Fuji might be the way to go.

And why not get a Komodo?

I can't believe I didn't see the Fuji single weave when looking through their gi's haha. Thanks for the suggestions guys, that's probably what I'm going with.

P&S is a great starter gi. But depending on your body size Fuji might be the way to go.

And why not get a Komodo?

Looking to get a Mantis since I have the P&S gold weave. Gets a little hot rolling in goldweave with the humid hawaii weather (probably due more to be being out of shape... lol). Wanted to get a lighter weight gi for those warmer nights.

^ check out the atama mundial pants for 24 bucks with the discount also, the pants are so thin and light weight!!!!!

Looking to get a Mantis since I have the P&S gold weave. Gets a little hot rolling in goldweave with the humid hawaii weather (probably due more to be being out of shape... lol). Wanted to get a lighter weight gi for those warmer nights.

I was actually down in hawaii visiting family and had the chance to train there. i don't know how people are able to train in that climate.. I felt like a fish out of water. I guess the mantis will work out then. all i know is i love my komodo :D

I was actually down in hawaii visiting family and had the chance to train there. i don't know how people are able to train in that climate.. I felt like a fish out of water. I guess the mantis will work out then. all i know is i love my komodo :D

what would you say the komodo is like weight wise ? or what the gi top compares to ? I have heard so many people say its heavy and some people say its light while other say the mantis is like a shoyoroll batch 6 but a little more heavier ( which sounds perfect to me)
I am getting a fushida as my next gi but Iam not sure what model to get what would say about the komodo ?

I can't believe I didn't see the Fuji single weave when looking through their gi's haha. Thanks for the suggestions guys, that's probably what I'm going with.

fuji has two other different gi's out now the light weight looks pretty good i want to see a review on it the company is vague with there gi's .

By chance, do you know how the weight of the komodo compares to the P&S gold weave? My P&S is rock solid and looks like it will last a long time. I really like the feel of their gold weave... although I would like the option of rolling in something a little lighter on the warm humid nights...

^ check out the atama mundial pants for 24 bucks with the discount also, the pants are so thin and light weight!!!!!

I bought a couple the other week. There was a 15% coupon floating around at the time, not sure if it's still applicable, but still a killer deal on ripstop pants... I got to use one the other night... first time using ripstop pants, and they felt great.

what would you say the komodo is like weight wise ? or what the gi top compares to ? I have heard so many people say its heavy and some people say its light while other say the mantis is like a shoyoroll batch 6 but a little more heavier ( which sounds perfect to me)
I am getting a fushida as my next gi but Iam not sure what model to get what would say about the komodo ?

By chance, do you know how the weight of the komodo compares to the P&S gold weave? My P&S is rock solid and looks like it will last a long time. I really like the feel of their gold weave... although I would like the option of rolling in something a little lighter on the warm humid nights...

I don't have a P&S Gold Weave, but I do have the Light Weave and the Single. I also have an Atama Single. I'd say the Komodo is almost the same weight as the rest of my gi's. Just a little bit heavier (not enough to be noticeable). In terms of thickness between the Atama single and the Komodo, the Komodo is about 1.5x thicker which I think is a good compromise between weight and thickness.

My main concern was that the Mantis would be too thin and light like a Vulkan so I decided on the Komodo. As far as I know, the weight difference between the Mantis and Komodo isn't that much anyways. hope that helped.

which gi for a 5'8"(170cm) 176lb(80kg)
I have a Century size 4(I don't think it is the same as the A# sizing of most gi's??) at the moment(Came free when I joined up)
but the pants are too long and the jacket is too small especially around the middle(I have a lil bit of a belly and take a a bit smaller than a Large in Venum fight shorts

I am looking at either a Koral MKM or classic or a keiko raca or a vulkan
I am in QLD Australia
I think I would be an A2 but being short in the legs and not slim around the middle makes it hard
I do aim to lose some of the weight

For the pricing, quality and customer service you can't beat P&S.

Back