Buying gi from a different school

gtsbjj12**

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently came upon a Shoyoroll Fifty/50 gi for sale. The gi is incredible looking and I want to buy it. However, since it is a Fifty/50 gi and I am training at Gracie Tampa, I feel as if it might be inappropriate to wear during gi class. Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks.

if i were in your shoes i'd probably just put my own school patches (or any patch really) over the 50/50 patches. i'd personally feel weird wearing a gi from a school i'd never trained at (or had no connection to otherwise), but that's just me. if you feel comfortable just saying "hey i love the gi, who care's where it's from" then i'd say go for it man! they're really nice ...

yeah, that's what I was thinking. if I can get the Gracie Tampa patches, that might just be my best bet. it's difficult because the gi looks to be of very high quality and it is probably one of the best looking gis I've come across. I know no one in my gym would have a problem with it, but of course the instructors are a whole different matter.

I would get one and then put a patch of your school on it. that simple

the fifty/50 gi's are embroidered, not patched. and how did you come about one for sale other than ebay?

Just ask your instructor.
They won't get mad at you for asking.
They will either not care, tell you to put your patches on it, or tell you to spend more time training and not worry about your Gi.

the fifty/50 gi's are embroidered, not patched. and how did you come about one for sale other than ebay?

hm, do you think I could still patch over the fifty/50 logos though? it's actually the one on eBay. I wish I could find one other then eBay haha.

Ouch that's a lot of money to dish out for a gi that is not from your academy.

The gi is super understated, so really, who cares if it isn't from your school? The logos are barely even visible. People wear gis with Lovato, Glover, Marcelo etc name written on them. People like to whine just to hear themselves talk, so because they think the gis look good and they cant get them, they harp on others who want one. Who cares. If you like it, you like it. No one else is wearing it.

hm, do you think I could still patch over the fifty/50 logos though? it's actually the one on eBay. I wish I could find one other then eBay haha.

you could, but it would be stupid to do so. the gi's are one of a kind, everyone should be working to show support for each other, regardless of affiliation. I have made some of the best friends in the world because of our mutual love for BJJ. There are plenty of people out there who roll with different academy gi's, its not strange to see a gracie barra gi at a brasa club, or an alliance patch at a lloyd irvin school. people change locations and gyms all the time, and some people dont have the resources to keep funding new training gear everytime they move. rock the gi the way it was made, and when everyone asks you about it, tell them the truth. you like it because its a hot gi, not many people outside the academy (if any other than the 2 on ebay, and the guy from jersey) are going to have them, and you like the way it was designed. simple as that.

re-patching it would be like buying a ford, and putting chevy bowties over the ovals because your family works for chevrolet.

The gi is super understated, so really, who cares if it isn't from your school? The logos are barely even visible. People wear gis with Lovato, Glover, Marcelo etc name written on them. People like to whine just to hear themselves talk, so because they think the gis look good and they cant get them, they harp on others who want one. Who cares. If you like it, you like it. No one else is wearing it.

Well said Kenny!! I love my 50/50 gi, like you mentioned its a very subtle themed gi and I'm sure no one at my academy will mind one bit. Was definitely worth the drive just to have a unique/rare gi:D

TS asked for opinions and if someone personally wouldn't rock another school's gi I'm not sure how that qualifies as "whining just to hear themselves talk." :icon_conf (BTW, I've owned 3 SYRs and currently own 1.)

TS asked for opinions and if someone personally wouldn't rock another school's gi I'm not sure how that qualifies as "whining just to hear themselves talk." :icon_conf (BTW, I've owned 3 SYRs and currently own 1.)

i was referring to the other threads where some people were a little overly negative/mocking

I have see a few people wearing GB gis at the school where I train (not a GB school) and as fare as I know that has not been a problem

Rob Kahn's a cool guy, I don't think he would be too torn apart about his student getting a gi from another place.

Ask your instructor. It really doesn't matter how other people or other gyms feel about it. When it comes down to it, its your instructor's gym. Out of respect, unless he/she says its okay, I wouldnt rock one. At my gym and the gyms that are close by, its pretty territorial. I would NEVER go into class wearing another gym's logo unless i got the OK. I do see other students wearing other school's patches, but that is only because they transfered over.

Back