Buying a tiny gun, maybe Sig p238 380 acp

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hey all, looking for some advice here on anyone familiar with subcompacts. Stripper guns if you will. My only pistol is my conceal carry gun, ruger sr9c and I love it. Seems a great compromise of useful size (3.5" barrel, 9mm double stack 10 round carry mag and 17 round standard mag with extended) and able to carry 5 o'clock iwb.

New job I have I travel a bit, to some major cities, and keeping gun in safe under drivers seat seems a smart thing to do. But I don't want to have no gun in quick access safe at home for wife should God forbid she need it. Thinking the right angle to go would be one she's more comfortable with (doesn't like my 9, kicks too much. And she has tiny hands) because any gun is better than no gun even if 380 and I could have a smaller size cc weapon during summer months.

I've shot an lcp before and hated it. Gun was so light, it still kicked more than expected and now a smaller grip on it. One that has caught my eye has been a sig p238 as it's heavier for a 380 with its stainless steel rather than polymer, and still small framed for wife's hand. Seriously child sized hands. She wears a size 3 shoe. Ring size was 4, jeweler barely believed me when I was buying engagement ring. Thinking maybe this gun could be lesser recoil at 380? Also, not gonna lie, the baby 1911 look of it is really cool. But, definitely practicalness far above that for a gun to carry not just go to the range with.

So dual use gun. One she'd shoot (not conceal carry) on a once in a while occasion, as well as being an option for shorts and T shirt weather conceal carry where I worry about printing with sr9c.

Hey all, looking for some advice here on anyone familiar with subcompacts. Stripper guns if you will. My only pistol is my conceal carry gun, ruger sr9c and I love it. Seems a great compromise of useful size (3.5" barrel, 9mm double stack 10 round carry mag and 17 round standard mag with extended) and able to carry 5 o'clock iwb.

New job I have I travel a bit, to some major cities, and keeping gun in safe under drivers seat seems a smart thing to do. But I don't want to have no gun in quick access safe at home for wife should God forbid she need it. Thinking the right angle to go would be one she's more comfortable with (doesn't like my 9, kicks too much. And she has tiny hands) because any gun is better than no gun even if 380 and I could have a smaller size cc weapon during summer months.

I've shot an lcp before and hated it. Gun was so light, it still kicked more than expected and now a smaller grip on it. One that has caught my eye has been a sig p238 as it's heavier for a 380 with its stainless steel rather than polymer, and still small framed for wife's hand. Seriously child sized hands. She wears a size 3 shoe. Ring size was 4, jeweler barely believed me when I was buying engagement ring. Thinking maybe this gun could be lesser recoil at 380? Also, not gonna lie, the baby 1911 look of it is really cool. But, definitely practicalness far above that for a gun to carry not just go to the range with.

So dual use gun. One she'd shoot (not conceal carry) on a once in a while occasion, as well as being an option for shorts and T shirt weather conceal carry where I worry about printing with sr9c.

Do you think she will be comfortable carrying condition 1, hammer back, safety on?

Honestly I'd look at striker fired stuff personally.

Do you think she will be comfortable carrying condition 1, hammer back, safety on?

Honestly I'd look at striker fired stuff personally.

She's not interested in conceal carrying. If she ever used a gun in self defense, it'd be grabbing a gun out of the nightstand quick access safe in a break in attempt when I wasn't home. So it'd be fine condition 1 there.

I'm fine with it as the p238 has a manual safety you have to thumb down. My sr9c is striker fired but also has a safety in the same spot. So my draw wouldn't have changed with that extra step that's muscle memory to me now.

Isn't the P365 supposed to be the bee's knees right now?

Would prefer 380 in a gun this small, I think? I'm a couple weeks I'll check out a new gun store in town that's opening with a conected range and see what it costs to test shoot a few if they do that. So trying to get some preliminary research and thoughts from others.

Thabks for pointing out the hot gun at the moment, I've been out of the loop for a few years

Get her a Hi-point, she can hold it side ways and get a good 4 shots out of it before it jams or breaks.

If she doesn’t like the kick of a compact 9, she’s going to hate the kick of a tiny 380.

If she recoil sensitive, go the opposite direction. Get a full-size 9mm with a steel frame. The bigger and heavier the gun, the softer the recoil will be. Take a look at the CZ 75 or any of its variants.

If she doesn’t like the kick of a compact 9, she’s going to hate the kick of a tiny 380.

If she recoil sensitive, go the opposite direction. Get a full-size 9mm with a steel frame. The bigger and heavier the gun, the softer the recoil will be. Take a look at the CZ 75 or any of its variants.

Wise words, but hand size. She couldn't hold a friend's 1911 in 40. She seriously has laughably small hands (and feet. Finding shoes that don't have kids designs is a challenge)

Maybe I should look look again for a thin full sized steel 9. Are there any 4"+ barrel single stacks out there?

Isn't the P365 supposed to be the bee's knees right now?
I carry a p365 aiwb normally. Pretty awesome little gun.

For gym trips and what not when I want something really light I carry an lcpii.

In winter when concealing becomes so much easier I also sometimes carry a g19.

Wise words, but hand size. She couldn't hold a friend's 1911 in 40. She seriously has laughably small hands (and feet. Finding shoes that don't have kids designs is a challenge)

Maybe I should look look again for a thin full sized steel 9. Are there any 4"+ barrel single stacks out there?

Sig P6 or P225A1 is 3.6"

New from shot is the P210 carry

I know my M&P 9 pc with the "slim" grip/back strap is quite thin for a double stack.

You could try to rent this to try, there is also a optic ready version if that is of any interest to you.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-9-shield-m20-4-barrel

Using 147gr ammo will help with snap as well.

Last edited:
Maybe a G48 or a P365XL then for her tiny hands?

I just picked up a P320 XCompact. 3.6" barrel, 15rd standard magazine and will take the larger 17 and 21 ones. Another solid option to consider.

Or how about a Ruger SP101 in 357 or even better if you can find one in 32 mag.

I had one in 357, and loaded with 38s, because it’s a heavy gun, even with the snub nose it’s a soft shooter.

@HockeyBjj

After some artificially-induced deep thought, I figured that if in your position I'd consider getting two guns. Your purposes and physiques might be too dissimilar to meaningfully accommodate with one solution. I'd just buy whatever works best for her since you've already got a carry gun.

With that in mind, I'd consider a .22lr for her. Surely someone makes a youth-size. :D Of course people don't like the idea of a round that small, but in all practicality it's fine for home defense. Unless the home invader(s) is specifically after her, they'll run off as quick as they can as soon as they see a gun. And if she comes out firing, shot placement is going to matter most. So since there's about zero recoil, she can be confident in handling the weapon even if it's a little big for her. So yeah, whatever would be the highest capacity with total reliability would be worth a look I think.

Sounds like you should keep it simple and get a small frame 38special or even .32Mag.

No safety problems, small, reliable, easy to use and can be loaded with all manner of light loads to reduce recoil.
Lots of cheap used options available as well.

@HockeyBjj

After some artificially-induced deep thought, I figured that if in your position I'd consider getting two guns. Your purposes and physiques might be too dissimilar to meaningfully accommodate with one solution. I'd just buy whatever works best for her since you've already got a carry gun.

With that in mind, I'd consider a .22lr for her. Surely someone makes a youth-size. :D Of course people don't like the idea of a round that small, but in all practicality it's fine for home defense. Unless the home invader(s) is specifically after her, they'll run off as quick as they can as soon as they see a gun. And if she comes out firing, shot placement is going to matter most. So since there's about zero recoil, she can be confident in handling the weapon even if it's a little big for her. So yeah, whatever would be the highest capacity with total reliability would be worth a look I think.
That was my thoughts as well. There are some hot 22LR rounds on the market which should be more than enough to stop a threat, but shot placement is key as always. I would recommend taking her to the gun store and let her find a gun that she is comfortable with handling and shooting then get one for yourself. Try to find a gun store that also has rental pistols if you can so that she can feel the recoil on the different guns before purchasing.

Have you though about a pistol caliber carbine for your wife? It'll have barely any recoil and she'll be able to hold it. It won't fit in a night stand, but putting one in a hideaway gun shelf in the bedroom would work just fine. Just something to think about.

I hated the LCP when I shot it. Thing is garbage, no sights and horrible trigger.

Never been a fan of .380.

Have a lot of coworkers who use the 365 as an off duty gun.

I hated the LCP when I shot it. Thing is garbage, no sights and horrible trigger.

Never been a fan of .380.

Have a lot of coworkers who use the 365 as an off duty gun.
Lcpii improved a good amount on the trigger when compared to the lcp. I carry one with my gym equipment....normal cc is a p365 or lcrx.

Back