Buying a gun in Canada

Big Nic

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never owned a gun in my life, but I'd like to buy some sort of gun just to use at a range, blow off some steam, that sort of thing. Not for self-defense/hunting purposes.

Anyways, I was just wondering what the process was like in Canada (specifically Alberta)? Do you need a license? How long does it take to get one? I don't have a criminal record or anything like that.

Also, how much money would I be looking at to buy a decent gun? Are there recommendations you guys could make for what to buy and where to buy it (I live in Edmonton)? Keep in mind that I know pretty much nothing about guns or gun laws. Thanks in advance.

gotta get your FAC, which will allow you to own long guns, getting a handgun permit is a lot trickier and has a veritable encyclopedia of restrictions and provisions.

gotta get your FAC, which will allow you to own long guns, getting a handgun permit is a lot trickier and has a veritable encyclopedia of restrictions and provisions.

Do you know any websites that would have the sort of information that I'm looking for? I tried searching for them, but I'm getting alot of news articles that aren't really what I want...

This will answer all your questions...http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp

Its not that hard to get an unrestricted firearms liscence. Im 21 and got mine, i have a few rifles and shotguns such as a Remington 870 and i "grandfathered" an illegaly short Winchester Defender 12 gauge but since its grandfathered its legally registered. As far as ranges i dont know any but im from Toronto, i just bring em up to my buddies cottage and set up targets, its an awesome way of as you said blowing off steam. Restricted firearms such as pistols are harder to get you need ur PAL/FAC, which requires a firearms training course and a restricted fire arms training course and you'll undergo pretty deep background checks, i've heard even the area you live in is checked.
You'll also be placed on a waiting list for your restricted firearms liscence, its a real bitch. But who needs pistols in Canada? You cant use any firearm for self defense. IMO firing a loudass pump shotgun and blowing shit away is alot more fun then putting 9mm's into a target, so its probobly better and easier for you to just obtain in unrestricted firearms liscence/PAL and take it up to a friends cottage.

This will answer all your questions...http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp

Its not that hard to get an unrestricted firearms liscence. Im 21 and got mine, i have a few rifles and shotguns such as a Remington 870 and i "grandfathered" an illegaly short Winchester Defender 12 gauge but since its grandfathered its legally registered. As far as ranges i dont know any but im from Toronto, i just bring em up to my buddies cottage and set up targets, its an awesome way of as you said blowing off steam. Restricted firearms such as pistols are harder to get you need ur PAL/FAC, which requires a firearms training course and a restricted fire arms training course and you'll undergo pretty deep background checks, i've heard even the area you live in is checked.
You'll also be placed on a waiting list for your restricted firearms liscence, its a real bitch. But who needs pistols in Canada? You cant use any firearm for self defense. IMO firing a loudass pump shotgun and blowing shit away is alot more fun then putting 9mm's into a target, so its probobly better and easier for you to just obtain in unrestricted firearms liscence/PAL and take it up to a friends cottage.

The link is exactly what I was looking for, and thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to look at rifles and shotguns instead.

The link is exactly what I was looking for, and thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to look at rifles and shotguns instead.
Anything for a fellow OT brethren.

Keep in mind that I know pretty much nothing about guns or gun laws. Thanks in advance.

I've always lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania (go Penguins!!!), and Virginia, but if i could offer any advice it would be learn what you're doing. Take a class or, at a minimum, find a mentor that is a knowledgeable firearms expert.

You serious??? If you had a home invasion or some life-threatening event you couldn't use your firearm for self-defense?
No in Canada you can't. Its a well known fact and thats why handguns are all but illegal unless ur a cop, armoured guard (and their guns are really crap, looks like ww2 revolvers.) Or a member of a gun club and it that case ur gun is to be locked up at the club.

I actually have a story of having someone break into my house, i go 2 my vault grab my Defender throw 3 shells into it chase the person down my stairs, at which point i hear the intruder say "I have a gun and i ll shoot." So i pump my shotgun and look downstairs, the guy took off and jumped through my back screen door. I called the cops, when they arrived i asked if i had blown the guy away, the cop told me id be charged. Luckily i didnt, and thats a true story.

I've always lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania (go Penguins!!!), and Virginia, but if i could offer any advice it would be learn what you're doing. Take a class or, at a minimum, find a mentor that is a knowledgeable firearms expert.

I'll definitely take a class or talk to somebody. I wasn't just going to buy a gun and go wild with it or anything.

No in Canada you can't. Its a well known fact and thats why handguns are all but illegal unless ur a cop, armoured guard (and their guns are really crap, looks like ww2 revolvers.) Or a member of a gun club and it that case ur gun is to be locked up at the club.

I actually have a story of having someone break into my house, i go 2 my vault grab my Defender throw 3 shells into it chase the person down my stairs, at which point i hear the intruder say "I have a gun and i ll shoot." So i pump my shotgun and look downstairs, the guy took off and jumped through my back screen door. I called the cops, when they arrived i asked if i had blown the guy away, the cop told me id be charged. Luckily i didnt, and thats a true story.

I love visiting Canada every chance I get. I know the culture is just a little different than the U.S. and the gun laws are more strict than I would personally like to live under. However, legality of handguns aside, even if you can't carry or anything like that, the idea that you cannot defend yourself within your own household is judicial insanity. Dear God, you guys have got to campaign to get that revised. :icon_surp

Hitler had similar laws.

it is a terrible law, but I'm not a Canada basher by any means. For some reason, Canada had a reactionary crackdown on their firearms about 20 years ago or so, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, Canada has far less gun crime than the U.S. But there was a time not that long ago when Canada actually had less gun restrictions than the U.S. and the statistics were pretty much identical then too. Gun access is 1 factor out of probably at least a dozen that influence a crime rate.

I'll definitely take a class or talk to somebody. I wasn't just going to buy a gun and go wild with it or anything.
You need to take a firearms safety course to get ur license...its mandatory. they are about 4bills. Pretty bad eh?

I'm the type of man that wouldn't harm a mouse, but if I catch somebody breakin' in my house, I got a 12 gauge shot gun waitin' on the other side.

I'm the type of man that wouldn't harm a mouse, but if I catch somebody breakin' in my house, I got a 12 gauge shot gun waitin' on the other side.

Yep, same here. I don't want to hurt anyone, but the .357 Smith & Wesson will do what it must if need be.

Glad I live in Pennsylvania. We can open carry our handguns if we feel like it.

Back