Butterfly hook/leg weave question

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
So sometimes when I’m in half guard and they pass my bottom leg, my butterfly hook on my left leg will always save me and recover guard for me. But on my right leg it just ends up getting leg weaved instead.

I know it’s kind of a hard question to answer, but can anyone guess what I’m doing wrong?

So sometimes when I’m in half guard and they pass my bottom leg, my butterfly hook on my left leg will always save me and recover guard for me. But on my right leg it just ends up getting leg weaved instead.

I know it’s kind of a hard question to answer, but can anyone guess what I’m doing wrong?

Half butterfly is what most top leg lockers use today to get to ash, half butterfly is just a z guard with the foot in the middle, which turns it into half butterfly, it’s quite simple, do not let him smash your butterfly, and why are they passing your hg? They position is a killer these days, try to get your opponent to pressure into your butterfly, this will get weight, with one arm undertook the far leg and with the other Arm push him away, you should be able to pass your bottom leg to his hips, if so, your in ashi, you can sweep or attack from there...

My general belief for half butterfly is that you must emphasize bringing your hips under your opponent. Lachlan Giles shows this perfectly at 2:00 - 2:30 of this video. You need to disconnect the hips to insert the butterfly hook, but once you have it inserted, you need to re-close the space.

Somewhat counter intuitively, you also do not want to stay on your side. You want to go flat, and bring your hips under your opponent. Then you can recover full butterfly as master Giles demonstrates. This should shut down the leg weave as well.

Half butterfly is what most top leg lockers use today to get to ash, half butterfly is just a z guard with the foot in the middle, which turns it into half butterfly, it’s quite simple, do not let him smash your butterfly, and why are they passing your hg? They position is a killer these days, try to get your opponent to pressure into your butterfly, this will get weight, with one arm undertook the far leg and with the other Arm push him away, you should be able to pass your bottom leg to his hips, if so, your in ashi, you can sweep or attack from there...
Thanks. What kind of sweep do you recommend? Switching to full x?

My general belief for half butterfly is that you must emphasize bringing your hips under your opponent. Lachlan Giles shows this perfectly at 2:00 - 2:30 of this video. You need to disconnect the hips to insert the butterfly hook, but once you have it inserted, you need to re-close the space.

Somewhat counter intuitively, you also do not want to stay on your side. You want to go flat, and bring your hips under your opponent. Then you can recover full butterfly as master Giles demonstrates. This should shut down the leg weave as well.

I just watched the video. (The whole thing is pretty good) I didn’t know it was preferable to be flat on your back instead of on your side when using half butterfly. I think my leg is so far away from my body that it gets smashed. Thanks for the post

Thanks. What kind of sweep do you recommend? Switching to full x?

Nop, try to go to ashi on your right side, its kind of hard to explain... Every time you are in hg with a half butterfly in (and you are not being control on the upper body) let’s say you are on hg with half butterfly, your on your side framing well, so the person on top tries to weave your butterfly, don’t get smashed, in you are on your right side, undertook the far leg, your left arm frames on his left armpit, push him to the side to get his weight off the ground, as soon as you take his weight off, you can lift him (with your right arm) and get to ashi... it’s kind of hard to explain... Craig Jones does it a lot from z guard, the same but with a butterfly hook, The version with a butterfly hook is way easier and you don’t require both arms...

Nop, try to go to ashi on your right side, its kind of hard to explain... Every time you are in hg with a half butterfly in (and you are not being control on the upper body) let’s say you are on hg with half butterfly, your on your side framing well, so the person on top tries to weave your butterfly, don’t get smashed, in you are on your right side, undertook the far leg, your left arm frames on his left armpit, push him to the side to get his weight off the ground, as soon as you take his weight off, you can lift him (with your right arm) and get to ashi... it’s kind of hard to explain... Craig Jones does it a lot from z guard, the same but with a butterfly hook, The version with a butterfly hook is way easier and you don’t require both arms...
No I understand how to get to ashi, that’s single leg x right? But what do from there to sweep lol.
I’m not very good at finishing the heel hook

No I understand how to get to ashi, that’s single leg x right? But what do from there to sweep lol

oh, sorry, depends, I’m a leg locker, and I don’t do gi no more, depending what I’m doing, Most of the times I attack the legs, to sweep from ashi from that position, technical stand up sweep (have no idea how to call it) post with your free hand and do a technical stand up...

oh, sorry, depends, I’m a leg locker, and I don’t do gi no more, depending what I’m doing, Most of the times I attack the legs, to sweep from ashi from that position, technical stand up sweep (have no idea how to call it) post with your free hand and do a technical stand up...
Thanks for the advice. I do mma so I only train no gi anyways haha

Thanks for the advice. I do mma so I only train no gi anyways haha
for mma theirs lots of cool nifty sweep options from that position tbh most guys sweep themselves from the heel hook position trying to turn out i like to use the positions to sweep guys and come up fast before hey get a chance to scramble

Thanks dude. Those are really nice and decently simple to execute as well
No worries, once you've played with them for a bit and have them down there's lots of fancier stuff to branch off in to ;-)

Back