1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Bute VS Brinkley October 15 IN Montreal

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Team Dagger, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Team Dagger

Team Dagger Brown Belt

I guess it is slim pickings for Bute until the Super Six first round is over but this is still an exciting matchup and should be another packed house at the Bell Centre.

Boxing - Bute-Brinkley on Oct 15

2. XCuTioNeR

XCuTioNeR Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion

InterBox has announced that the IBF has approved the staging of an IBF mandatory title bout between top contender Jesse Brinkley (35-5, 22 KO) and IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (26-0, 21 KO). InterBox also reports that it has reached agreement with Let’s Get It On Promotions and Star Boxing for the services of Jesse Brinkley, and that the mandatory fight will take place on October 15th 2010 at the Montreal Bell Centre. The IBF awaits signed contracts from each camp.

Bute VS Brinkley October 15 IN Montreal I guess it is slim pickings for Bute until the Super Six first round is over but this is still an exciting matchup and should be another packed house at the Bell Centre. Boxing – Bute-Brinkley on Oct 15
    -----------------------------------------

Anyone think Jesse will make it past 5 rounds?

3. XCuTioNeR

XCuTioNeR Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion

Although Lucian Bute was not invited to participate in Showtime's six-man Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament, the super middleweight titleholder hasn't let it put a crimp in his schedule.

Bute (26-0, 21 KO) will make his sixth title defense against mandatory challenger Jesse Brinkley (35-5, 22 KOs) on Oct. 15 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Bute promoter InterBox announced Thursday.

"At this level, it is very dangerous to take any opponent lightly," said Bute, a native of Romania who now lives in Montreal, where he has become a major star. "Brinkley surprised many experts during his last bout. He fights very bravely in the ring and I expect him to be fully prepared and to give it his all in the Bell Centre ring."

Bute has fought 12 of his past 13 bouts at Bell Centre, including a dominant third-round knockout April 17 of Edison Miranda. That bout was televised on HBO, as was his previous bout, a fourth-round knockout of Librado Andrade in their rematch. However, the fight with Brinkley won't be on HBO and does not yet have an American television outlet.

Brinkley, of Las Vegas, gained fame as a participant in the first season of "The Contender" reality series in 2004. He has won nine fights in a row, including a surprisingly easy, lopsided unanimous decision victory against Curtis Stevens in a January title elimination bout that earned him the shot at Bute.

"I am beyond excited to fight Lucian Bute for his IBF super middleweight championship," Brinkley said. "This is something I have dreamed about my whole life, and I feel that it is long overdue. I know I'm going in as the underdog, but there is no doubt in my mind that I'm bringing that belt back with me to the United States."

Said Tommy Lane, Brinkley's promoter: "He has worked his butt off, and there is no one more deserving than Jesse. He is on a nine-fight winning streak, and with how focused and determined he is I think Bute will be Jesse's 10th victory in a row.

Bute is the popular favorite in this fight, but in boxing there is no better story than the underdog coming in and knocking off the champ, and I think we have a recipe for that."

The winner of Bute-Brinkley will have nine months to make a mandatory defense against the winner of the Sakio Bika-Jean Paul Mendy title eliminator. That fight was added Wednesday to the July 31 Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz II undercard in Las Vegas.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

4. eddymotto

eddymotto Red Belt

slim pickings indeed.

it is what it is. a keep busy fight until somebody interesting at 168 or 175 opens up

5. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Robert Stieglitz is really the only other guy not in the Super Six of any real note (due to his trinket) but other than that, yeah, it's pretty slim.

6. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

I love to watch Bute but this is a real stay busy and get an easy win fight for him. They must want to keep him undefeated til the Six is over. I wish Taylor would come out of Retirement and take on Bute.

7. canucklehead

canucklehead Orange Belt

I want to see more of Bute on HBO. shame they did not pick the fight up, the summer\fall schedule is lacking; but understandable they did not.

8. ThirdPartyView

Taylor would be an even worse pick than Miranda was, at this point - he's lost 4 of his last 5, 3 of them pretty badly. Honestly, he's probably pretty shot at this point and would be a 'gimme' opponent besides the chance of him landing a big shot (although his tendency to gas likely wouldn't help him).

9. TheRainSong

TheRainSong Purple Belt

I like Lucian, he's actually one of my favorite up and comers

10. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

I am not saying Taylor would win but maybe after the layoff he might back to his old self. If he could still move around the ring and use that jab of his, he could take some rds before Bute ko's him.

11. Gontran

Gontran Amateur Fighter

Yeah I agree. Taylor might be done, but it's mostly because he can't take a punch. His skills were actually pretty good in his last fights against AA and Froch and he'd probably give Bute a better fight than Miranda did.

As for Brinkley... it's the least interesting matchup Bute's had in a while.

12. ThirdPartyView

In any case, Taylor needs to be built up again to warrant another title shot - going 1-4 in your last 5 doesn't really spark any interest in the fight (although it'd be a nice name for Bute which I guess could be enough justification).

13. Fisticuffa

Fisticuffa Purple Belt

Did Taylor say anything about when he was gonna resume fighting again?

If he fights Bute i see it as a relatively easy win for Bute.

14. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

What a great opportunity for Brinkley.
    Bute is clearly the favorite but still, for Brinkley this has got to be the moment of his life.

15. prod2821

prod2821 Gold Belt

Taylor is damaged goods isn't he? If he were to fight Bute that would be criminal. Good fight though with Brinkley to keep Bute busy and active

16. ThirdPartyView

Are the Super Six guys locked in until the tournament ends by a non-compete clause (that is, they can't fight Bute after being eliminated in the round robin stage)? If so, I guess Bute should try to partially unify vs. Stieglitz if he beats Brinkley.

17. 5acrossYOeye

5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

zero interest in this

18. da_ghost

da_ghost Orange Belt

I am very disappointed in this fight. It seems once again that Bute's progress will be on hold.

I am expecting a quick KO from Bute.

19. Wolverine5150

Wolverine5150 Blue Belt

Bute by murder