1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

but Costa has actually shown some good technical skills in Romero fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by AimedWithV, Oct 23, 2019.

1. AimedWithV

AimedWithV Wound in the Force

Besides being just "Strong brawler".

His wrestling, offensive and defensive, looked very good. Against Romero!

His striking near the fence did not look just like a brawl - he cut Romero and thrown strikes like many "trappers" do or did - Fedor, Mirco, Overeem....

I understand that his overall pace was also something Romero was not ready too, but that's not what made a close fight with Romero - and not what sat well in the judges' eyes.

I'm a fan of Adesanya and he should be favorite - but in no way Costa should be an easy fight for him, and I hope he doesn't see him as one.

2. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

Costa's striking defense is the issue here. He seems to get tagged a lot, which falls right into Israel's style. He also likes to strike and doesn't do much grappling which also suits Adesanya just fine...

cauti0n, Lindelof, yookfarb and 5 others like this.
  3. Oooxente

Oooxente Black Belt

The power of açaí compelled me to post.
    Anyone judging Costa just for his Açaíness and power are in for a bad surprise,thats includes Adesanya.
    But i know Adesanya is not stupid,just some of his fans are.
    If Izzy fights smart its his fight to lose.
    He is a superior striker with better reach,accuracy and experience.
    He should be the sure bet and im sure he will be come to fight day.

4. Oooxente

Oooxente Black Belt

True but idt Costa fought anyone like Izzy yet.
    I hope he and his team take the time and effort to make a strategy that doesn’t involve just head hunting for a fast KO it would be a silly plan against a fine counter striker like Adesanya.
    That costed Robbie his tittle.

5. DaviVasco

DaviVasco Green Belt

I really don't understand why people come running to discredit Costa's skills. I think that by now, specially after Romero fight, people would notice he is not just a "brawler". He has a granite chin, heavy and fast hands and showed incredible heart last fight against one of the toughest MOFO out there. Of course Israel can win that fight, but to be honest, Costa is the one of the highest chance for one punch knock out. I don't see Israel knocking Costa out with one punch like he did with Whittaker. Against Costa, you need a lot of volume to put him down. Anyway, I think this is an amazing fight and I think Costa will take this, because he will hurt Israel, sooner or later, and he will put him down like Gastelum almost did

6. AimedWithV

AimedWithV Wound in the Force

What's that blabbering? Height, chin position....

We're talking here about two living, moving, skilled fighters - not stationary robots

Bubba Kid likes this.
  7. jayo2k

jayo2k Brown Belt

Like what I though of Rob, I mean Romero could not put him away in 10 rounds, Israel did it twice in just two rounds...

Cpt Migraine and Ironnik94 like this.
  8. stacrafty

stacrafty White Belt

Joined April 2013???? how do you not know

lmao. Sherdogggers.

Heres a clue, how did Mark Hunt one of the best chins in all MMA get ko'd by Mevlin Manhoff
    Connor KO's Aldo
    Kimbo by Seth when hes walking backwards
    Izzy (TWICE!) vs Whitakker when Romero couldn't put him away over 10 rounds.

Power is nothing without precision, and Izzy is the most precise striker in the UFC right now, would absolutley drop Costa with one punch.

9. DaviVasco

DaviVasco Green Belt

maybe it is the same, maybe not, but remember, Costa is way younger than romero, and has fought way less.

Costa is a beast, people should respect his abilities.

10. Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy

I'm not sure if Costa has a single KO win, all of his stoppages are technical stoppages of him raining down strikes until the ref steps in and says it's enough, and it oftentimes looks wild and miscalculated. He's muscular, but he's nothing like e.g. Ngannou, Reyes, Santos in terms of one punch KO ability (at least per history).

Tomas, Ironnik94 and AimedWithV like this.
  11. SmoothPies

SmoothPies Yellow Belt

Why put the word "but" in the beginning of this title? Hahah
    Aside from that - I agree that Costa is very technically sound. It's easy to look at him and the way he fights and assume he's just swinging punches wildly, but he's putting together very nice combinations

Major_dixon_cider likes this.
  12. Franklin U.

Franklin U. Gold Belt

Right now- its pretty clear Costa one of top middles in world. For my money, him and izz are pretty close( as far as izz vs costa).I find that we're in a rare situation in the world of 185.UFC division has been somewhat diluted from the lack of contenders all the way back to Rockhold losing to Bisping.

theTKDguy likes this.
  13. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

Its not an easy fight but it is Isreal's to lose. his distance management, timing, speed and overall kickboxing ability is way above Costa. Rob Whittaker couldn't land on him so I think Costa will have even more trouble. I would also Favour Whittaker to beat Costa.

14. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

He threw some killer body shots.

theTKDguy likes this.
  15. Ironnik94

Ironnik94 Celery Belt

I agree with you, although i think that Reyes isn't even that powerful but extremely accurate (similar to Adesanya) - he's very, very good at finding the button.

Drugstore Cowboy likes this.
  16. theTKDguy

theTKDguy NO TAPE

Only adesanya fanboys disrespect the natty goat

17. Marco_mma

Marco_mma Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Costa is a bad matchup for adesanya, the skinny guy has to handle a lion, no little guys anymore

Ibm likes this.
  18. MuayThai101

MuayThai101 Purple Belt

I love his fighting style. His boxing is actually pretty damn good, why? He actually rips the body and doesn’t just head hunt like the majority of MMA fighters. He also has nasty body kicks that have a serious thud behind them which can really do serious damage like breaking an arm.

Dude is legit.

19. Ibm

Ibm Brown Belt

Costa probably walks around at like 250lb. I think he is going to be way too big and strong for Isreal.

Marco_mma likes this.
  20. Cpt Migraine

Cpt Migraine Purple Belt

Yup.. just like costa could absolutely kill adesanya.. costa is probably on a very short list on power for mw's with good but not spectacular technique.. good genes and acai..

Can't really say i'd be surprised no matter what outcome..