Burpee's before/after stretching?

delfam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Should i stretch first, then do them, or can i do them as a warm up then stretch.

I think if you do burpees right and work them as part of your routine then they are intense...."not a warmup exercise." I would warm up, then do burpees and finish my workout with stretching with "warm" muscles. Stretching is part of the cooldown; or at least the lead in to it

I always use burpess as a warm up and feel great. I don't go at 100% effort but they are an awesome full body exercise. Just my opinion but I think burpees are fine for warming up.

I always use burpess as a warm up and feel great. I don't go at 100% effort but they are an awesome full body exercise. Just my opinion but I think burpees are fine for warming up.

Burpees are definitely fine for warming up if you ease up on the effort, I have no disagreement. It is just my opinion that burpees are a great "whole body" bodyweight exercise and should be utilized to its full worth as a core part of a workout routine rather than a warmup. I somehow see that as almost wasting the movement. Throw burpees into a Tabata interval or add weight to the burpee and now your talking work. But sure....you can use them as a warm up...why not...I have no problem with that. I would still save any serious stretching for the end of the training session. Maybe a little after you develop a little sweat and then the major portion for the end.

Burpees are definitely fine for warming up if you ease up on the effort, I have no disagreement. It is just my opinion that burpees are a great "whole body" bodyweight exercise and should be utilized to its full worth as a core part of a workout routine rather than a warmup. I somehow see that as almost wasting the movement. Throw burpees into a Tabata interval or add weight to the burpee and now your talking work. But sure....you can use them as a warm up...why not...I have no problem with that. I would still save any serious stretching for the end of the training session. Maybe a little after you develop a little sweat and then the major portion for the end.

I have used burpees as both a core part of my workout and in a warmup/cooldown. Unless I am doing the 100 burpee challenge, max burpees without stopping, or tabata burpees, every other option seems like a warm up/cool down. I have my stretching broke out into 5 sections. It works out perfect for 5 sets of 20 (warmup) or 5 sets of 15 (cooldown).
If I only did burpees very "intense", I wouldn't do burpees as often because it would take away from intensity of strength training, bag work, etc. I do that day. Sometimes they are good for quick GPP.

I've been doing burpees in my workouts for nearly 25 years. Used them as warm ups, during the core workout and sometimes at the end to exhaustion. One of my favorite exercises of all time. Key just to mix it up and keep things fresh.

I never really stretch before anything...it's been shown to make you weaker if you stretch before a workout...i usually warm up with light cardio or burpees..

In all actuality before and after. Always warm up properly, and always stretch and cool down properly, this will also help your recovery time.

Back