Burpee Conditioning

Yeah, Burpees are excellent, right now I add them at the end of my GC. I do three to five sets of burpees, depending on if my teacher comes or not because I do this training before a class.

But, right now I'm screwed a good 4 weeks into this routine because I sprained my ankle doing GC, where I sprint it's not long enough so my buddy and I have to sprint out, turn around, and sprint back and on the turn around I hopped up to turn so I could explode back the other direction and POP, sprained that bastard.

That stinks. I know how you feel, though. I hurt my back last week and have had to put most of my training on hiatus. I hate it. But, better to take the time to heal than end up getting more permanently hurt.

neosamurai1979 said:
How many burpees do you guys do in a set? And how many sets do you do?

I do timed sets of 30 seconds- a minute, per. 30 seconds rest between sets.

It's weird burpees are one of those exercises that I'll leave out of my training for months at a time, then will suddenly be inspired to add and will do loads for a short while then they disapear again. Never was sure why, must try to keep them this time because I always find they massively help my fitness and they really seem to help my takedowns and defence.

Try this ladder:

1 burpee, 2 jumping jacks
2 burpees, 4 jumping jacks
3 burpees, 6 jumping jacks
4 burpees, 8 jumping jacks
5 burpees, 10 jumping jacks
6 burpees, 12 jumping jacks
7 burpees, 14 jumping jacks

Sprint 50 yards, jog back

Repeat x5 (no rest between any reps or sets; the jog back is your active rest)

You'll wish you were dead. I've been doing that at least once per week for 6 months now, and it doesn't seem to get any easier.

I did burpees this morning after my GC...I was dying...great workout...my rest periods were like 45 sec...but I was able to complete the whole routine (5 sets of 10 reps).

I did a burpee routine this morning:
10 burpees/1 min shadowboxing X2
1 minute rest
4 sets
Not a bad workout. By the end, my arms were tired a heck.

i jump rope in between sets of burpees to relax a little but keep the heart rate up

I did Tabata/guerilla burpees for the first time today. They took a lot out of me, but were in the end manageable. I think I felt more winded after doing sprints, but I feel it more in my legs after the burpees.

My hip flexors were already kind of sore going into them today (extra-long missionary session last night), they are really killing me right now.

Urban said:
My favorite burpee drill (and I've listed it here before) is doing a pyramid of 10 burpees with 50 jump rope turns for rests. So 1 burpee, 50 rope turns, 2 burpees, 50 rope turns, 3 burpees, etc. Up to 10 then back down. no rest. to be honest I can't remember if I did a ladder or a pyramid. well in any event I remember it kicked the shit out of me.

lol what do you mean no rest?! you have 50 rope turns after 1 burpee. then 50 rope turns after 2 burpees. and so on.. lol

Yeah, 40 is a lot. I have yet to just go and do as many as I could, but I don't even know if I could do that many. Are those 40 of the burpees with pushups in the down position?

Guys, do you do your burpees in a matted area or just the concrete floor? Just wondering if it's dangerous to do it on a concrete floor over the long run?

Back