News Burns vs Magny UFC 283 on January 21

Magny probably loses this. He has the vastly superior cardio and an edge in volume striking at range, but I suspect one of his lapses in distance management that he's shown against explosive punchers could likely lead to him getting hurt on the feet after peppering Gilbert with straight shots and kicks. That plus the constant threat of Durinho wrestling him will be bad news, especially since Magny has been taken down by other grapplers in the past and either held down or submitted. I would normally say that it would make him less likely to lean on his signature clinch for fear of giving the dangerous BJJ artist in Burns a way into grappling range... but Magny's shown he doesn't really care about that and will clinch anyway lol (for better or worse).

I could see a world where Magny wins this or even finishes Gilbert -- especially if Burns is starting to show his own age/wear & tear -- but I wouldn't rate the chances any higher than like 20% or so. Potentially a slightly different story if this was a Fight Night headliner. I'd still favor Burns, but Magny's chances would be significantly better.

I think burns will eat his legs up before scoring a club and sub.bad style match up for magny.his willingness to fight anyone has made me a fan but I think burns is too explosive and has the right skill set to get it done here

Good fight. I think Burns will dominate. Magny is a tough test for most guys and the height difference will be huge but I just think Burns is dangerous everywhere Magny is good

WTF? lmaooooooooo

Insane how Masvidal went from one of the most underrated fighters to one of the biggest frauds so quickly

I think burns will eat his legs up before scoring a club and sub.bad style match up for magny.his willingness to fight anyone has made me a fan but I think burns is too explosive and has the right skill set to get it done here

Good chance. Magny does well when he's the one who's able to pepper the other guy's legs at range amidst his body kicks and straight punches, but when other technical strikers start landing back with low kicks and/or power punches of their own his game sometimes falls apart. Mix that in with a potent offensive grappling threat and it's a dangerous fight for him hence why I favor Durinho. I think a world certainly exists where Magny is able to to stuff enough of the takedowns that matter while continuously landing flurries of intercepting straight punches (which Burns historically doesn't handle well) in order to get his respect or even hurt him especially as the fight goes late, but I consider that the less likely outcome all things considered.

Last edited:
Good fight. A lot on the line for both guys. Both these two have a good ground game. Feels like forever since Burns lost to Khamzat. Magny has fought 3 times this year. Burns only once. If Magny can gas burns, he could pull off some crazy stuff later in the fight.

I will root for Magny. He seems smarter and More active. Burns has not looked very impressive in awhile.

Too bad he didn't get the Jorge fight, he deserved a nice payday.

Why do people believe this?
Why would he get more money if he fought a popular fighter?
He has a contract, he gets the money written in that contract.

Lol..
So masvidal is hoping for title shot. But if Usman refuses rematch on UFC timeline then what?

Well, here's where we separate the men from the boys.
Gotta respect Magny and his willingness to fight anybody they put in front him.

Glad Magny got a big name and a rank fight.

Sad part, Burns going to tap him out in the 2nd.

This match kind of moves the division forward? WW has basically stalled in rankings. It's like the same guys accepting matches while others sit around.

Back