News Burns vs Magny UFC 283 on January 21

It's the kinda bounce back fight Burns needs, getting knocked out by Usman's jab and then having a war with Khamzat is tough, the guy is getting old at 36 too. Too bad he didn't get the Jorge fight, he deserved a nice payday.

I think Burns takes this but we begin to see him slide off soon.

images
"Sad" - Jorge Masvidal (probably)
giphy.gif

Attachments

• upload_2022-11-22_16-14-41.jpeg
    upload_2022-11-22_16-14-41.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 3
Burns doesn't have much time left, he needs to make a run ASAP and fight top contenders, not gatekeepers. Why tf didn't they do Burns vs Belal, it's an awesome stylistic matchup. And Belal's name is bigger than Magny's at this point

Burns doesn't have much time left, he needs to make a run ASAP and fight top contenders, not gatekeepers. Why tf didn't they do Burns vs Belal, it's an awesome stylistic matchup. And Belal's name is bigger than Magny's at this point

Belal deserves a title shot at this point, after winning 8 straight and beating back to back top 10 guys....He shouldn't be fighting old man Burns on a losing streak, does nothing for him. Belal vs Colby, Khamzat or maybe Shavkat (after he beats Neal) makes sense. Belal might just sit out until after Ramadan.

Happy that Magny got the step up but I don't see him being able to do much to Gilbert.

Magny probably loses this. He has the vastly superior cardio and an edge in volume striking at range, but I suspect one of his lapses in distance management that he's shown against explosive punchers could likely lead to him getting hurt on the feet after peppering Gilbert with straight shots and kicks. That plus the constant threat of Durinho wrestling him will be bad news, especially since Magny has been taken down by other grapplers in the past and either held down or submitted. I would normally say that it would make him less likely to lean on his signature clinch for fear of giving the dangerous BJJ artist in Burns a way into grappling range... but Magny's shown he doesn't really care about that and will clinch anyway lol (for better or worse).

I could see a world where Magny wins this or even finishes Gilbert -- especially if Burns is starting to show his own age/wear & tear -- but I wouldn't rate the chances any higher than like 20% or so. Potentially a slightly different story if this was a Fight Night headliner. I'd still favor Burns, but Magny's chances would be significantly better.

This is the type of fight that Magny loses.

Absolutely. It's a damn goid fight but Burns will Absolutely maul him. 2nd round submission, maybe 1st. Magny can't handle these top control BJJ artists. Arm triangle probably.

Belal deserves a title shot at this point, after winning 8 straight and beating back to back top 10 guys....He shouldn't be fighting old man Burns on a losing streak, does nothing for him. Belal vs Colby, Khamzat or maybe Shavkat (after he beats Neal) makes sense. Belal might just sit out until after Ramadan.

Belal vs Khamzat for the next shot is my pick.

Good on Magny for getting a big step up, but I’m surprised that no one higher ranked took that fight. Well, no to surprising because lots of the welterweights like to sit around

Back