Burning out on stamina or nutrition?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by tuaymhai893, Jul 26, 2016.

1. tuaymhai893

tuaymhai893 White Belt

So my question is fairly simple. Can you tell the difference if you just aren't eating enough or if your stamina is just burning out? I know they tie into each other but are there any noticeable traits that one might just know during training that your either just gassed out or you just didn't eat enough?

Southland likes this.
  2. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

When I did fat dieting (starvation calories), I felt drunk and un-coordinated post-training, that was a sign that it was nutrition based. I basically walked upstairs at home to the shower, and felt like I took down a 200ml bottle of vodka. Training wasn't even that hard, it was padwork, and a 4-5km run prior to that.

When I don't eat enough I can somewhat tell. When I was cutting a couple of years ago and my metab wasn't great as it is today, I normally had around 70-100g carbs pre-workout. One day, I got hungry and ate most of my food at breakfast, and all I had to go on as a pre-workout meal (ate 4pm, trained at 6pm) was a low calorie brownie. 90 calories, 5g fat, 20g carbs, whatever for protein. I felt it during training.

Stamina is tied to breathing, if you're exerting and not breathing in anything, you'll gas. You can get nervous, and your breathing can become irregular (including hyperventilating) So its not 100% dependent on your nutrition. But there are some signs. Mine are the ones I listed above.

tuaymhai893 likes this.
  3. tuaymhai893

tuaymhai893 White Belt

Thanks for the info man, that actually makes a lot of sense. I've never really been to big into watching nutrition, just eat what I think is healthy.

But upping my training lately I have trouble telling if I'm just burned out on stamina or if I just need to eat more.

Any other input would be great to hear though.

4. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

If you're feeling worn out, dred training, want to just rest or skip the gym, then you might be overtrained. Take the week off, and come back to your regular routine, and rebuild from there.
    I'm guessing you don't count calories or at the very least not very thorough. Its possible that you might not be eating enough either. What's a typical day for you in terms of meals?