Burmese Boxing vs. Thai Boxing

I won all by KO. But one of them kinda flash KO'd me in the clinch with a elbow. I woke up when the next hit me. Did not go down.

Yeah.....them Burmese tuk tuk drivers.....;)

My main boxing/kickboxing coach in high school studied Bando. There is the vertical fist and an emphasis on head butts, but very similar to MT. I concentrated more on boxing when I trained with him though. I this country, they can start getting Kung fuish with some crazy moves in static training. Their animal styles are not to be taken as literally as kung Fu, btw. For example, I studied the Boar style which means that the style was aggressive and did a lot of head butts. We didn't try to exactly mimic a boar.

They get revived after a KO and can continue? how does that work how much time do you have after a ko? Any video on this?

They get revived after a KO and can continue? how does that work how much time do you have after a ko? Any video on this?
Don't know about revived, but from the vids I saw, they are definitely allowed a lot of time to get back up. Also, apparently you either win by KO or the fight is ruled a draw no matter what. It's like the toughness of Kyokushin combined with the strikes of Muay Thai, with added headbutts.

Crazy sport.

At the same time, it does seem like they let themselves fall a little more, because of the unlimited amount of knockdown rule.

Their corner can ask for a break any time. If their fighter gets ko'd they can call for a break and get their fighter ready to fight again. I can't remember how long the break is but I think it's something like 3 or 5 minutes. It depends on where the fight is organised, and sometimes they're allowed to call for more than 1 break in the fight which they usually use when their fighter is done and they need to sort him out so he can continue again.

Also they're not allowed to avoid the fight such as moving around the ring to escape their opponent or they automatically lose the fight. You have to keep fighting constantly.

There is no judges or decision. It's either one fighter can't continue and the other wins, or one fighter gives up which pretty much never happens, or one fighter gets disqualified after several warnings if he's avoiding the fight or resorting to clinging too much, which is also very rare... It's usually one of the fighters is finished or it's a draw.

There are tons of SE asian kickboxing sports. Pradal serey, lethwei, etc. Muay Thai just wasn't nearly wiped out (Pol Pot targeted and executed martial artists as part of his communist cleansing campaign) and, very importantly, it was also internationally promoted and marketed by the Thai government.

Don't know about revived, but from the vids I saw, they are definitely allowed a lot of time to get back up. Also, apparently you either win by KO or the fight is ruled a draw no matter what. It's like the toughness of Kyokushin combined with the strikes of Muay Thai, with added headbutts.

Crazy sport.

At the same time, it does seem like they let themselves fall a little more, because of the unlimited amount of knockdown rule.

This is so exploitable. beside scoring if the sport will at any time become bigger they need to do away with the unlimited knockdowns. i imagine what prevents obvious flops is their pride and whatever but at some point any sport becomes big enough that winning at any cost is what 99% of all fighters will do

Their corner can ask for a break any time. If their fighter gets ko'd they can call for a break and get their fighter ready to fight again. I can't remember how long the break is but I think it's something like 3 or 5 minutes. It depends on where the fight is organised, and sometimes they're allowed to call for more than 1 break in the fight which they usually use when their fighter is done and they need to sort him out so he can continue again.

Also they're not allowed to avoid the fight such as moving around the ring to escape their opponent or they automatically lose the fight. You have to keep fighting constantly.

There is no judges or decision. It's either one fighter can't continue and the other wins, or one fighter gives up which pretty much never happens, or one fighter gets disqualified after several warnings if he's avoiding the fight or resorting to clinging too much, which is also very rare... It's usually one of the fighters is finished or it's a draw.

I like watching Lethwei I like the style but I wish it would become a legit sport/style like MT or K-1 without these ridiculous rules

Sounds more like Muay Boran which also considers headbutts and therefore has different clinches than Muay Thai.

This is so exploitable. beside scoring if the sport will at any time become bigger they need to do away with the unlimited knockdowns. i imagine what prevents obvious flops is their pride and whatever but at some point any sport becomes big enough that winning at any cost is what 99% of all fighters will do

I like watching Lethwei I like the style but I wish it would become a legit sport/style like MT or K-1 without these ridiculous rules

They're actually trying to regulate it a bit more by introducing gloves for examples.

Also:
http://www.myanmar-diaries.com/myanmar-traditional-sport-lethwei/

"Good luck, don't die" - the sport.

Kind of what people used to want the UFC to be in the dark ages

Not sure gloves are the right thing though. No gloves are basically what sets it apart from MT. It should stay bareknuckle just introduce scoring and do away with breaks.

Traditional Lethwei won't disappear though, so we're good :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back