Bulking while training Muay Thai 4 times a week?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by PirateYogi, May 22, 2014.

1. PirateYogi

PirateYogi White Belt

I am living in Thailand and have been training (Muay Thai) 6 days a week for the past couple months. I started a job that only allows me to train 4 days a week, but the training is pretty intense (usually 2.5 hrs) and I've been doing jump rope, swimming, and running as well every day (when I'm not too sore to stand up).

Can anyone give any advice about bulking (I am 150 pounds and 5ft 9inches), and I don't really have access to a gym but am looking for dumbbells here (I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere). I'd like to be 170 and strong, right now I'm 150 and weak/slow/lame.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

2. Boyk0

Boyk0 White Belt

how long have you been training?

if you train 6 days a week and you're still weak/slow/lame then either you're not training properly or not eating properly.

3. PirateYogi

PirateYogi White Belt

Boyk0

haha well I was exaggerating to emphasize my desire to be stronger. I would say my I'm pretty fast, can punch well, my kicking technique needs work (currently my feet still ache all the time) and my defense is shit.

I eat very healthy everyday and dont drink (because there is no good beer in thailand).

4. Baianada

Baianada Brown Belt

It's going to be very hard.

If you don't have access to a gym, do bodyweight exercises.

Eat like a madman.

5. Boyk0

Boyk0 White Belt

this. whatever you do if you're ingesting more calories than you're burning during training you'll be growing.

at this point I would recommend you keep an eating schedule for about 2 weeks if you're pretty consistent with your meals (if not - for about a month), calculate all the calories you take on a daily and then monthly basis and ajdust accordingly.

bodyweight exercises are your friend and there's always ghetto home-made heavy weights you can make yourself to help you.

6. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Brown Belt

Im sure youl get a lot of good tips on how to accomplish what you want to accomplish. Id like to just weigh in here and go in a different direction. Its going to be pretty challenging to gain 20 lbs of mostly muscle while also doing all that MT, swimming, running, jump rope, etc. The training is gona burn a TON of calories and is not conducive to muscle growth. But it will probably leave you looking like a lean, mean, brick shit house of a 150 pounder. Definitely keep your calories very high, and if your gona train MT 4x a week, maybe focus on 1 goal at a time. You cant spread yourself too thin. If you have 4 days a week to train, do your MT workouts until youve made some good progress. Than start training MT 3x a week and add 1 day for lifting. Do that for a few weeks than split it up 2 and 2, than 3 and 1 in favor of lifting. I believe this is called periodization. Oh and 1 way to make calisthenics more challenging and more likely to get you bigger n stronger, add a plyo element to push ups, pull ups, BW squats, glute ham raises, etc.

7. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Dude, if you're going to stick with Muay Thai, you DON'T need to bulk at your current height and weight. Just burn the fat first and see where you end up first.

8. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

I spent my whole earlier life trying to bulk up, now I spend my whole later life cutting weight.

9. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Why do you want to bulk up?

10. JohnSouth

JohnSouth Purple Belt

Do you really want to be fighting some 6'2 guy at 170?

I guess it depends where you are fighting, maybe in Thailand they are much shorter.

11. KennisTheMenace**

KennisTheMenace** Orange Belt

Like "dsdoubled" said you're not going to gain lean muscle (or fat) on that active schedule you have even if you did have a gym to go to afterwards. You'd have to eat a ton and workout a ton and there's just not enough hours in the day for the working man who is already 2.5 hrs. I also like the suggestion of body weight exercises as well.

12. PirateYogi

PirateYogi White Belt

Baianada: (and Boyk0), thank you, I appreciate it, I

13. CaptHANDSUP

CaptHANDSUP Blue Belt

Yea don't bulk up. I think its always a good idea to stay as long as possible. Unless you have serious strength deficiencies. Then do functional strength exercises like kettle bell which increase your strength more than they would make you big. Obviously don't do beach body exercises because they're the opposite (increase your size more than your strength so therefore P4P you are technically getting weaker rather than stronger).

Also strength mostly comes into play in MMA. It does in MT as well but no where near the level of MMA. You don't need strength as much if grappling isn't involved. Of course strength can also increase your punching power but so can things like speed, accuracy, technique, timing, etc. All things that can be done without making yourself weigh more and having to fight bigger guys.

Think about it this way. There is so many hours in a day you can train before there are diminishing returns and you end up pissing blood like JDS because he overtrained. You have to chose wisely what you dedicate your time to. The worlds best athletes don't train 12 hours a day because "the more you train the better it is".

14. Captain_Dammitt

Captain_Dammitt Brown Belt

What? When was this?

15. CaptHANDSUP

CaptHANDSUP Blue Belt

After the second Cain fight cap'n.

16. Captain_Dammitt

Captain_Dammitt Brown Belt

My fellow cap'n, wasn't JDS pissing blood due to that tremendous ass whooping he received from Cain?

17. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

This, how many super jacked Muay Thai fighters do you see? You will fight guys who are your weight class.

I want to be 200 pounds, and I've bulked up to the 190s before at 10%, but I have to give that shit up for boxing because I sure as fuck ain't made for fighting at 201. When you're done securing the fact that you're going to have great cardiovascular health for the rest of your life, and done with competitive MT... start lifting more and MTing less

18. number9dream

number9dream Blue Belt

Speaking of jacked nakmuay... how the fuck does buakaw have the physique that he has, without lifting and soo much cardio?

19. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Absurdly low body fat content plus the extensive power training that is de rigeur for Muay Thai. Striking isn't just cardio ya know.

20. number9dream

number9dream Blue Belt

Sure but he looks significantly more built than the vast vast majority of his fellow thaiboxers. Which you can easily explain by him being in a bigger weightclass than most, but he's more built than most kickboxers in his division too.

Crazy impressive physique I think, im quite jelly.