Building Strength/Maintaining Speed

Because he walked around mostly at 145 or so. He's hardly an example of Strength and Power. Because people revere him unnecessarily. BL worship is unreal in the other parts of Sherdog; his shit doesn't float in here.

He was training in the 60's 70's. Give the guy a break. He was obviously dedicated for his knowledge base in S&P. He didn't have sherdogs S&P forums to call him a noob, and say his regime was worthless. How could he know.

A lot of the fighters you see work a lot of higher reps, and lower weight. Maybe it's not right but they're professionals in their own field.

A lot of the fighters you see work a lot of higher reps, and lower weight. Maybe it's not right but they're professionals in their own field.

For endurance, not raw power.

Bruce Lee lifted weights for mass/strength and his speed is legendary. He said as long as you combine lifting with speed work (on seperate days) and stretching, you won't have any problems.

I'd like to know what is wrong with this statement.

I'd like to know what is wrong with this statement.

The implication that you could do a BB workout and then stretch and that would be optimum for power?

And hunto is just mad that nobody thinks Chuck Norris is cool anymore.

What does it have to do with us in here?

The bold part of the statement is what every reasonable S&P person would answer to the OPs question, namely, lift, maintain speed and/or skill work and stretch.

The bold part of the statement is what every reasonable S&P person would answer to the OPs question, namely, lift, maintain speed and/or skill work and stretch.

Or more simply, to head off more idolizing of BL- the OP said he was already faster than his mates in wrestling. He asked how to get stronger. BL has shit to do with it.

The implication that you could do a BB workout and then stretch and that would be optimum for power?

Where the fuck did anybody say anything about bodybuilding. The quote said "lift weights".

lol you've been lurking, thinking of something to say..I'm the only one not mad, because I don't idolize BL. I don't have 'heroes' like that- I quit that shit when I was a kid.

What does it have to do with us in here?

Maybe the fact that the OP asked about gainin' strength while keepin' speed. Seein' as how both are important to fighters and this is an MMA forum, and not strictly a powerliftin'/olyliftin' forum, they might just go together.

Tak is getting mad and not making sense.

Yeah, I usually get mad when I see people who have been training with weights for a couple of months make it sound like they know it all with respect to S&P.

Maybe the fact that the OP asked about gainin' strength while keepin' speed. Seein' as how both are important to fighters and this is an MMA forum, and not strictly a powerliftin'/olyliftin' forum, they might just go together.

Please quote where the OP said 'Keeping speed'.

Hey, im a 17 year old wrestler and i wrestle in the 95kg weight class.I am currently 87 kg, as was the case when i wrestled in the provincial championships this year. I am faster than most of my opponents but obviously with a 8-10 kg weight difference between some of my opponents and me, they can be MUCH stronger. I would really appreciate any tips on gaining strength/size. thanks

He's already faster. Don't imply something that he didn't say. All he asked about was getting stronger, and all the BL lovers wander in.

You all looked at Randy Coutures' weight training circuit? It's like a 75 LB barbell used for military press, squats, upright rows, lunges, etc. You make your own judgements as to form, but the function portion seems to work just fine....
Video

Just wonderin' if you read the thread title, Hunto? It says "Building Strength/Maintaining Speed". Obviously the TS at least thought about speed (since he mentioned bein' fast in the body of the post) and wondered if he'd get slower or he wouldn'ta put that.

Just wonderin' if you read the thread title, Hunto? It says "Building Strength/Maintaining Speed". Obviously the TS at least thought about speed (since he mentioned bein' fast in the body of the post) and wondered if he'd get slower or he wouldn'ta put that.

Bwaaaa! You've read the original post 324975 times before finding that. LOL@you.

Not hardly. I glanced at your quote of the post and then up at the title bar.

To put this whole thing to rest:
Bruce Lee was not the best person to reference in regards to fighters or martial artists who lift(ed) weights. His trainin' was revolutionary in it's time, but (accordin' to Hunto) is just an archaic relic that can be forgotten and discarded because we've learned from it and moved on, just like we never use that silly invention called the wheel anymore.

Not hardly. I glanced at your quote of the post and then up at the title bar.

To put this whole thing to rest:
Bruce Lee was not the best person to reference in regards to fighters or martial artists who lift(ed) weights. His trainin' was revolutionary in it's time, but (accordin' to Hunto) is just an archaic relic that can be forgotten and discarded because we've learned from it and moved on, just like we never use that silly invention called the wheel anymore.

He was a twig, hardly a model of S&P when theres so many better examples out there.

You all looked at Randy Coutures' weight training circuit? It's like a 75 LB barbell used for military press, squats, upright rows, lunges, etc. You make your own judgements as to form, but the function portion seems to work just fine....
Video

Back