Building Strength/Maintaining Speed

Wand.Silva666

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, im a 17 year old wrestler and i wrestle in the 95kg weight class.I am currently 87 kg, as was the case when i wrestled in the provincial championships this year. I am faster than most of my opponents but obviously with a 8-10 kg weight difference between some of my opponents and me, they can be MUCH stronger. I would really appreciate any tips on gaining strength/size. thanks

Check out the FAQ at the top of the page and then maybe come back with specific questions.

you get strength if you train for strength.

you can also cultivate speed if you train for speed.

basically, pick a legit strength program from the FAQ and once you iron out the form of each lift, move the bar quickly (under control).

if you can move a heavy weight quickly, you are working strength and speed.

Bruce Lee lifted weights for mass/strength and his speed is legendary.

He said as long as you combine lifting with speed work (on seperate days) and stretching, you won't have any problems.

Another thing he did with weight lifting is he kept the same weight and amount of reps in his workout, but timed it so he could do it faster incresaing his speed.

Olympic lifting is always good for explosion and athleticism along with strength. Just focus on speed during all your lifts. Make sure all your lifting movements are quick.

He said as long as you combine lifting with speed work (on seperate days) and stretching, you won't have any problems.

Another thing he did with weight lifting is he kept the same weight and amount of reps in his workout, but timed it so he could do it faster incresaing his speed.

Bruce Lee worship club includes a healthy dose of denial.

:rolleyes:

OP, read the FAQ, good programs in there for increasing Strength and Power.

{[really, if you're going to answer questions, don't refer to Bruce Lee in here. He just doesn't carry the same mystique in here like in the Hvywts.]}

Well, to be specific, he lifted for function. When he originally began incorporating serious weight-lifting into his training, he put on 35 pounds of muscle (that's right: at one point, Bruce Lee was 165 pounds and was buff) and it slowed him down considerably, prompting him to switch up his style of training in order for it to compliment his martial arts training as opposed to simply training for size/strength.

His routine was a solid routine, though. The power lifters of today may look at it and scoff, but for a martial artist, especially in the 1960s/1970s, it was pretty revolutionary for him to be training the way he did.

Cleans 2X8
Squats 2X12
Pullovers 2X8
Bench 2X6
GM's 2X8
Curls 2X8

He also did an insane amount of grip training and paid lots of attention to building his ligaments and tendons as opposed to just getting as big as he possibly could.

Bruce Lee worship club includes a healthy dose of denial.

:rolleyes:

OP, read the FAQ, good programs in there for increasing Strength and Power.

{[really, if you're going to answer questions, don't refer to Bruce Lee in here. He just doesn't carry the same mystique in here like in the Hvywts.]}

Why at the very mention of Bruce Lee's name do you feel the need to lash out like this?

Why at the very mention of Bruce Lee's name do you feel the need to lash out like this?

Because he walked around mostly at 145 or so. He's hardly an example of Strength and Power. Because people revere him unnecessarily. BL worship is unreal in the other parts of Sherdog; his shit doesn't float in here.

Because he walked around mostly at 145 or so. He's hardly an example of Strength and Power.

Seeing how Bruce Lee was an early supporter of weight training for martial artists, I'd say he is a great example of strength and power.

Because people revere him unnecessarily. BL worship is unreal in the other parts of Sherdog; his shit doesn't float in here.

There may be some people who think the man was a super hero, but there's no need to insult everyone who has respect for one of the most influential men in martial arts history.

Seeing how Bruce Lee was an early supporter of weight training for martial artists, I'd say he is a great example of strength and power.

There may be some people who think the man was a super hero, but there's no need to insult everyone who has respect for one of the most influential men in martial arts history.

He was a joke. Now go defend BL in the Heavyweights, where you post most of the time.

as long as u lift the heavy weights quickly, youll be aigh

but yea, read the stickies/faq

He was a joke. Now go defend BL in the Heavyweights, where you post most of the time.

Blind hate is no better than blind love.

It's unfortunate you have so little respect for Bruce Lee, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and try changing your mind.

Blind hate is no better than blind love.

It's unfortunate you have so little respect for Bruce Lee, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and try changing your mind.

If all you're going to do is worship Bruce Lee, go back to Heavyweights and lord it over the white belts in there.

Go on now, GIT!!
wb2.jpg
dogrun.jpg

Personally I don't think Bruce Lee is a symbol of "strength and power" but he DID help popularize weightlifting and martial arts, so he deserves some credit for that.

Hunto, not everyone who respects Lee for what he was (no more, no less) is blindly worshippin' him thinkin' he could beat Fedor. Was his trainin' great by today's standards? No. Was it a step in the right direction compared to martial artists of his day who never cross-trained and never touched weights? Most heartily, yes. Was his liftin' good? No, but that's not what bayareaguy was sayin'.

So get the hell off your high horse and quit tryin' to read superhuman subtext into any mention of Bruce Lee's name.

High%20Horse.jpg

^^^ Hunto's Horse ^^^

Hunto, not everyone who respects Lee for what he was (no more, no less) is blindly worshippin' him thinkin' he could beat Fedor. Was his trainin' great by today's standards? No. Was it a step in the right direction compared to martial artists of his day who never cross-trained and never touched weights? Most heartily, yes. Was his liftin' good? No, but that's not what bayareaguy was sayin'.

So get the hell off your high horse and quit tryin' to read superhuman subtext into any mention of Bruce Lee's name.

High%20Horse.jpg

^^^ Hunto's Horse ^^^

Another BL worshipper huh?

Does BL stand for anything to do with Strength and Power, today, right now, at all?? NO.

A step in the right direction is Clevio Massimo, or Louis Cyr.

Nice try though.
3/10.

If all you're going to do is worship Bruce Lee, go back to Heavyweights and lord it over the white belts in there.

Go on now, GIT!!
wb2.jpg
dogrun.jpg

That goes fer you too John Lambert.

Back