Building My Own Squat Rack (With Pictures)

100_0077.jpg

I approve this message - now you just need the T-shirt to go with it :D

My OCD says that you should have counter sunk the V-plates before using those screws, but it's just a style point.

*twitches*

Agreed. As a fellow head case, that would drive me crazy, as well.

Looks good man. I hope you get plenty of use out of it. Squats are a real man's exercise. Anyone can do curls, but squats take heart.

But....you might shear the heads off those screws...*twitch, twitch*...when you place a heavy bar in the cradles.*twitch*

But....you might shear the heads off those screws...*twitch, twitch*...when you place a heavy bar in the cradles.*twitch*

We put some rubber in the groove, but it was some crappy rubber and one of the screws already poked through with 240 up on the rack. I'm thinking about cutting up and old hose and putting it in there. It seems like it would be pretty thick rubber, and I already have some of it.

thanks for all of the pictures! mine is half built .. finishing tomorrow because it got dark. The only difference between the two is that on the bench end of mine, the railing is raised up a bit more because the squat portion was too low.

I'll post some pics when it is completed.
Thanks again

Nice rack! Long after your done lifting weights, you will remember you and your dad hanging out, building stuff!

It would be pretty easy to add onto the front of the rack and make safety pins for squats and bench press. I train alone, so an important part of a rack for me is catching a missed lift. You could simply extend the base forward and add another upright about 2 feet in front, and drill one inch holes at the right height for squats and bench press safety catches, and get some cold rolled steel stock for the safety bars. Can you see what I'm describing?

thanks for all of the pictures! mine is half built .. finishing tomorrow because it got dark. The only difference between the two is that on the bench end of mine, the railing is raised up a bit more because the squat portion was too low.

I'll post some pics when it is completed.
Thanks again

Definitely put up your pictures, either in this thread or your own. I'd love to see what you've done.

It would be pretty easy to add onto the front of the rack and make safety pins for squats and bench press. I train alone, so an important part of a rack for me is catching a missed lift. You could simply extend the base forward and add another upright about 2 feet in front, and drill one inch holes at the right height for squats and bench press safety catches, and get some cold rolled steel stock for the safety bars. Can you see what I'm describing?

Yeah I get what you're saying. We've actually just built smaller sawhorses to complement the rack, to use for squat safety and bench safety when I'm alone. I believe they came out to be about 35" high or so, but I've been drinking and I don't remember the exact height of the things. They do their job, though. I'll get some pictures up eventually.

Thanks guys. It's been a while since I've seen this thread, but as an update I'll just throw it out there that the rack is still in good condition and doing its job.

Back