Building a ramp?

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
So kind of a weird question, but I know alot of you guys are really handy (I'm looking at you WOW) and was hoping to get your opinions on building a stair ramp.

My parents are getting up there in years, and I recently received news that my elderly aunt will no longer be allowed to live on her own (she is in her 80s). We are considering retrofitting my parents place to allow her to move in with them, but the house is about as far from elderly accessible as you can get. Four floors, sunken living room - there are basically steps everywhere.

We will probably get a lift for the main stair cases, but I was thinking of building a ramp for some of the smaller ones. I have no idea where to start of what to do - it seems like an easy enough concept, but I am not particularly handy. Does homedepot sell ramp kits? If I decide to hire somebody, what's an appropriate cost?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You'll need a decent amount of room to build a ramp that will be easy for an elderly person to walk/roll up. Most staircases are somewhere around a 30-35 degree angle, think about how far you'll have to move the ramp out to make it a 10 degree rise. I'm not sure how the house is designed, but in most cases there won't be much room to make a safe, low incline ramp.

Why not install these around the house. I'm only posting this gif because it cracked me up in P&M YLYL thread, but the suggestion is serious.

ZUGpTEg.gif

You'll need a decent amount of room to build a ramp that will be easy for an elderly person to walk/roll up. Most staircases are somewhere around a 30-35 degree angle, think about how far you'll have to move the ramp out to make it a 10 degree rise. I'm not sure how the house is designed, but in most cases there won't be much room to make a safe, low incline ramp.

Hmm, I did not think about this - this basically disqualifies the ramp idea, as the slope of the stairs would be too much for walkers/wheel chairs.

I am actually at a loss as to what to do. The stairways connecting the main floor levels will have the chair lift, but the smaller ones (the living room and the family room), have like four small steps. Too small for a lift and too steep/not enough space for a ramp.

I'm probably going to have to call one of those assisted living consultants and have them retrofit the house.... getting old is expensive.

Hmm, I did not think about this - this basically disqualifies the ramp idea, as the slope of the stairs would be too much for walkers/wheel chairs.

I am actually at a loss as to what to do
. The stairways connecting the main floor levels will have the chair lift, but the smaller ones (the living room and the family room), have like four small steps. Too small for a lift and too steep/not enough space for a ramp.

I'm probably going to have to call one of those assisted living consultants and have them retrofit the house.... getting old is expensive.

Quit being cheap and buy them a stairmaster...

Pointless necro. Ramps are just not that important.

It is for sure that an assisted living consultant will surely be helpful in adapting the change in needs and requirements, It is also very much beneficial for a person to keep maintained their homes that too in affordable nursing facilitated homes while having fully secured privacy environment.
Jonathan Carter - Infinity Long Term Care Consulting
First post on a brand new account and you bump a 4 year old thread....

<{fry}>

It's going to depend on if you're going for distance or height.
Then the speed and weight would be the next consideration for airtime.

Not entirely related but my Pops built me and my brother a 4ft halfpipe when we were kids. We helped of course. Then I found out I couldnt skateboard for shit but I could domsome pretty cool shit on roller blades. Haha

Good luck.

Where are you, I would be happy to help...

Semi-related, my grandfather's best friend died when he was 71 jumping a makeshift kid's ramp on a small bicycle...

at the top of the ramp dont make it immediatly transition to the porch or whatever. put a flat area on top so when they get up they arent going directly to a new surface and for gods sake connect the ramp somehow so it doesnt slip away.

Back