Building a Home Gym

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by vision1, May 6, 2020.

1. vision1 Purple Belt

Hi Guys,

I'm sure I could find these answers if I did an adequate search but figured this is easier

I've been making myself a home gym during the pandemic. So far it's only strength equipment but I have space to start filling it with boxing equipment. I've got plenty of space and I can build a rack or reinforce the ceiling as needed to hang bags. Here are my questions:

1) If you were building a home gym, in what order would you buy bags? I'm thinking standard heavy bag, then double-end bag, then maybe different style of heavy bag / water bag / slip bag. Speed bags seem to be pretty popular but I'd put them no higher than #4 on my list

2) Assuming I get a heavy bag first, what size? I never knew how heavy the ones at my gym were. I would guess between 100-200 lbs would be ideal for someone my size (215)

3) What are some of the top manufacturers for reasonably priced heavy bags? Obviously durability is much less important for a home gym with less frequency of use. I'm in Canada if that makes a difference. I also have access to rags and old clothing so could buy unfilled.

4) For a double-end-bag, the upper mount needs to be equal distant to the bag as the floor, correct? I have high ceilings which is my concern.

Thanks

2. Hotdog666 Blue Belt

Id get the heavy bag first and build everything around that, placement wise.
    100lbs -150lbs should be fine. I guess it depends on what your use will be. Power shots? or kinda working around the as it sways and swings. How high will it be mounted? Kinda has to do with how much it moves.

The double end bag needs to be same distance. Just measure the distance from floor to ceiling, and I divided by 30% and cut the bungie cord to that measurement twice. It ended up working perfect.

3. vision1 Purple Belt

Thanks, good to know. I'll have to build a structure to mount the top at a lower height.

I'd like my heavy bag to be able to take power shots without swinging out of control. Not sure how high I'll be mounting yet. What's ideal?

4. Hotdog666 Blue Belt

Usually the lower the bag, the less swing. Of course it depends on how heavy the bag is. Mount with a heavy spring so the spring sucks up most of the movement.

5. AdamJameson White Belt

Good luck to you. I am also working on my own home gym, now I am choosing the equipment...

6. Robocok Black Belt

I've heard good things about outslayer heavy bags.

7. BADBOYKILLA Green Belt

cobra bag , end to end

8. vision1 Purple Belt

Will do.
    Right now it's just weights. Axle, Bench, Dumbells, T-Handle, Farmers Handles, Sled

9. vision1 Purple Belt

What does "end-to-end" mean?
    I assume cobra bag is like what Ryan Garcia uses? Might be a good idea, easier to setup than a double-end bag but I've never used one.

10. Fahcough Silver Belt

Can't like older post but this. They have excellent quality and warranty. Spend a few extra bucks and be set for years. Fully customized.

Robocok likes this.