Building a Gym

I'm thinking of making a swiss bar next but I've never used one and I'm not sure what specs are important.
Do you guys prefer the grips be straight (perpendicular to bar) or on a slight angle?

I've always liked angled grips. Feels like it puts my shoulders and wrists in a much more natural position.

Like. Platform came out great with the blocks to match. How did you end up moving it

Thanks. 8 dowels under the two sides and it moved quite easily. Also added 3 coats of a semi-gloss varnish. I didn’t sand between the coats so it’s pretty grippy.

Angled grip bars are a worth while investment if you're going to be doing any pressing. Yoke bar is a good investment for the lower body. Bumper plates are awesome if you can afford them. Just get a cage that can handle the weight without moving around too much and you're good to go. I got up to a PR 440lb bench with concrete weights and old brake rotors, and a janky bench last year while I was laid off during the covid. Nice equipment is nice but it won't help you get results. As long as it's safe you're good to go.

Most bags are hanged around 7 to 8ft. Anything more then that and the chain might be pretty long and the bag will swing a lot. Although you can anchor it to the floor with a band if your heavy bag has a loop at the bottom.
Ideal height for a heavybag will vary depending on your height, length of chain, how much do you want the bag to swing, what kind of a bag is it. Are you kicking or just punching? Make sure you're able to hang the bag unassisted. That way you can take it off and roll it around to prevent the bottom from being rock hard overtime.

Last edited:
Just got my bag hung yesterday. Ceilings are 12 feet but the bag is heavy and the spring I installed helps. Swings a very reasonable amount.

You suspended plywood out of a drop tile ceiling?
Ingenuity points.

If there was some huge brush guard like garage doors but you could bend it in a circle to fill the opening.

flexible-brush-seal-2.jpg

You suspended plywood out of a drop tile ceiling?
Ingenuity points.

If there was some huge brush guard like garage doors but you could bend it in a circle to fill the opening.

flexible-brush-seal-2.jpg
I should consider something like that, help with insulation.

For sure. That's a cyclone of attic air being pulled into the room. Not sure what you could put that would move with the bag.

For sure. That's a cyclone of attic air being pulled into the room. Not sure what you could put that would move with the bag.
Could just build a cone of foam all the way to the mount.
The room heats up to perfect workout temperature in 1 hour though so I'm not too concerned.

Could just build a cone of foam all the way to the mount.
The room heats up to perfect workout temperature in 1 hour though so I'm not too concerned.
Oh yea you not from the south. That would be 150 degrees air constantly invading room in summer.

What kinda of room you working with to set the floor up? That thing took too much space to justify getting it. Just got the Titan seated dip machine 2 months ago. So much better on my shoulders than dips off the bar. Can do burnouts and just move on the seat to hit muscles at 3 angles.
20x20. I have a notch this size across from my glute ham. Figure the arm can swing out over my deadlift area. I have an 8x6 area for that between my rack and the glute ham. Other side of the garage is where I do farmer carries and shit like this.

Back