Building a Gym

For fellow Canucks I'm really impressed with Uno Five Fitness.

Prices are very decent, they have some really unique equipment, everything is sourced domestically and they respond to emails fast.

Only problem for me is I live opposite side of the country so shipping costs more than the actual products making it hard to justify.

If I lived near the east coast I'd definitely give them a try.

Picked up a Synergee Games Barbell yesterday. Under $300 after tax and shipping.
I'm thinking about also picking up their Regional Bar (same bar) in hard chrome and their Rhino Bar (power lifting). Then I can try out all three and sell the two I want.

Still haven't made myself a rack but that's coming up shortly.

Anyone have any experience lifting in sub zero temperatures? That's what I'll be enduring in a couple months. Do barbells get extra stiff and are they at a higher risk of being damaged?

When I forget to set the timer on the heaters it could dip just below freezing, never noticed any difference or had damage. Do you have the ability to introduce a space heater?

When I forget to set the timer on the heaters it could dip just below freezing, never noticed any difference or had damage. Do you have the ability to introduce a space heater?
I have a space heater but the building is so big with 12' ceilings and poor insulation, I just don't see it being feasible to warm up. I can use the heater to stay warm between sets at least.

ASU, in your opinion, Identical bar except for finish, which would you prefer? All hard chrome or cerakote bar and black phosphate collars?

I have a space heater but the building is so big with 12' ceilings and poor insulation, I just don't see it being feasible to warm up. I can use the heater to stay warm between sets at least.

ASU, in your opinion, Identical bar except for finish, which would you prefer? All hard chrome or cerakote bar and black phosphate collars?
I know a guy with a gym which has really high ceilings, as a result he spent thousands on indoor heaters and it costs him a lot of money in winter. If you step on the mats without shoes your feet will go numb.

Gotcha, at least you have that heat source to help out. I think the cerakote is the way to go for training. Is there a noticeable difference in price? Not familiar with the brand.

Gotcha, at least you have that heat source to help out. I think the cerakote is the way to go for training. Is there a noticeable difference in price? Not familiar with the brand.
Exact same price. I went with the Cerakote.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Rogue squat stand.
Then build my own copy of their half-rack conversion kit.
$210 for shipping is a tough pill to swallow though but seems like the best option.

Does anyone know if Rogue Canada does anything for Black Friday? From what I remember they don't do the free shipping like Rogue USA

upload_2020-10-25_21-22-32.png

Picked up a Synergee Games Barbell yesterday. Under $300 after tax and shipping.
I'm thinking about also picking up their Regional Bar (same bar) in hard chrome and their Rhino Bar (power lifting). Then I can try out all three and sell the two I want.

Still haven't made myself a rack but that's coming up shortly.

Anyone have any experience lifting in sub zero temperatures? That's what I'll be enduring in a couple months. Do barbells get extra stiff and are they at a higher risk of being damaged?

I've lifted in very cold temps before. Nothing really special happened besides the bar being very fucking cold obviously. I'd also imagine it would be easier to get injured or pull/strain something in those temps.

Never really warmed up that hard, but luckily didn't get hurt. Just cold metal, it being cold, maybe feeling stiffer at first. Might be mental here too, but I feel like it's definitely harder to get a 1RM or a max set of 3-5 in ~freezing point or lower temps versus normal or warmer environments.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Rogue squat stand.
Then build my own copy of their half-rack conversion kit.
$210 for shipping is a tough pill to swallow though but seems like the best option.
Build your own from scratch.

I just got back from anchoring my sister's RML-490 rack. I know this is going to sound crazy, but it just seemed cheap/janky. I expected a $1000 rack to be A LOT more solid. And, it's not like it isn't going to serve her perfectly well, but my rack isn't even bolted down and it's more stable than hers.

Take the money you would have used to buy the squat stand and put it toward any additional tools you would need to make one. You'll end up with a better rack, some new tools, some money in your pocket, and the wonderful sense of satisfaction you'll get from building it with your own two hands.

Build your own from scratch.

I just got back from anchoring my sister's RML-490 rack. I know this is going to sound crazy, but it just seemed cheap/janky. I expected a $1000 rack to be A LOT more solid. And, it's not like it isn't going to serve her perfectly well, but my rack isn't even bolted down and it's more stable than hers.

Take the money you would have used to buy the squat stand and put it toward any additional tools you would need to make one. You'll end up with a better rack, some new tools, some money in your pocket, and the wonderful sense of satisfaction you'll get from building it with your own two hands.
That was my original plan but then I had the powder coating issue. I think regular paint will flake away too easy under the J-hooks.
And I dread drilling so many holes.

What was so junky and unstable about her rack? I figure the squat stands should be easy to beef up as needed.

I didn't say it was junky. I would just expect a $1000 rack with eight bolts anchoring it to the floor to be rock solid.

To me, $600 USD after shipping seems insane for a set of squat stands that you would still need to convert into a half rack. But you do you.

Well for that price I was expecting a top notch rack that didn't NEED the half rack addition.
But even so, that seems to be the market rate for even low end budget racks these days.
Maybe I could make weightlifting style squat stands, then the scraped paint wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Didn't know what janky was, assumed it was a typo

They make plate storage pins that go on the back of squat racks. It's not as convenient as a halfback, but you can store your 45s and weigh the rack down some.

aebdb338-f219-5029-9be8-e7f5b1f1a4da

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-squat-stand-base-storage-pair

I that your setup?
No. I almost got this, but I had extra money and splurged on the 490 full rack. I do think the squat stands give you the best bang for your buck and are most practical for most people, especially if you ever plan to move.

Yeah man, I've lifted in the snow etc. Never had any damage during, I bent a bar that I used previously in the cold, I think that was how heavy I went on it though not anything weather related.

Keep the bar inside before you use it and it'll be nice and toasty, or gloves, or a blowtorch to warm it up a bit. That's my advice!

Once i get warmed up I prefer it to the summer, just need that little bit more get up and go to get going.

I'm thinking of making a swiss bar next but I've never used one and I'm not sure what specs are important.
Do you guys prefer the grips be straight (perpendicular to bar) or on a slight angle?

Back