Building a Gym

vision1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I asked some of these questions in the Gear Section but I think there's more home gym knowledge in F13.

1) The main piece missing in my gym right now is a squat rack. I've decided to go with a half rack. I have no problem putting the money into a decent rack but everything is sold out at the moment so I may fabricate my own. How important do you guys think powder coating would be? The quotes I've received to powder coat a rack are around $275cad. Is that worth it or could I just put on some coats of paint? Maybe make two pairs of J-hooks so I'm not moving them constantly and scraping up the tubing.

2) What's your favourite multi-purpose barbell for under $500? Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Bench, Cleans, Snatches. 300-400 would be ideal.

3) What's the ideal height for hanging a heavy bag? I have pretty tall ceilings and I'm not sure what's considered too high. I mean the height of the top of the chain, not the height of the bag.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I asked some of these questions in the Gear Section but I think there's more home gym knowledge in F13.

1) The main piece missing in my gym right now is a squat rack. I've decided to go with a half rack. I have no problem putting the money into a decent rack but everything is sold out at the moment so I may fabricate my own. How important do you guys think powder coating would be? The quotes I've received to powder coat a rack are around $275cad. Is that worth it or could I just put on some coats of paint? Maybe make two pairs of J-hooks so I'm not moving them constantly and scraping up the tubing.

2) What's your favourite multi-purpose barbell for under $500? Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Bench, Cleans, Snatches. 300-400 would be ideal.

3) What's the ideal height for hanging a heavy bag? I have pretty tall ceilings and I'm not sure what's considered too high. I mean the height of the top of the chain, not the height of the bag.

Thanks

I've had a Rogue Bar (now I think they have the 2.0 bar) for about 10 years, works great, when I am too lazy to unload my Ohio Power Bar I still use it for squats and deadlift.

I think you could get away with painting it. Something like implement paint that's used on farm equipment would probably be the most durable.....and would cost you 1/10th of what powder coating would. Bedliner may be another option if you don't mind the texture. Both are easy to find in black.

Hi Guys,

Thanks

IMO powder coating is a cosmetic benefit only but does look good. Unless you leave the rack outside in the rain, rust should not be an issue and even if it is, you can simply wipe down with WD-40. I would avoid paint unless you can do a professional quality job in a dust-free room. Otherwise it will look like shit and you'll just have paint flakes chipping off at any contact point. If you're welding standard black pipe, why not just leave unpainted?

I've been using a Rogue B&R bar for past 3 years for exactly the lifts you mention except snatches (would like to but shoulder flexibility still an issue). I like that it's grippy but not too abrasive. Only thing I did was put athletic tape over the knurling in the middle because that was scratching up my neck doing cleans, but other than that it's the perfect multi-purpose bar IMO and frankly better than anything I've used in commercial gyms.

I've seen heavy bags hung from 20' warehouse ceilings. It will swing a little more than you want but still very usable and does its job fine.

Last edited:
IMO powder coating is a cosmetic benefit only but does look good. Unless you leave the rack outside in the rain, rust should not be an issue and even if it is, you can simply wipe down with WD-40. I would avoid paint unless you can do a professional quality job in a dust-free room. Otherwise it will look like shit and you'll just have paint flakes chipping off at any contact point. If you're welding standard black pipe, why not just leave unpainted?

I've been using a Rogue B&R bar for past 3 years for exactly the lifts you mention except snatches (would like to but shoulder flexibility still an issue). I like that it's grippy but not too abrasive. Only thing I did was put athletic tape over the knurling in the middle because that was scratching up my neck doing cleans, but other than that it's the perfect multi-purpose bar IMO and frankly better than anything I've used in commercial gyms.

I've seen heavy bags hung from 20' warehouse ceilings. It will swing a little more than you want but still very usable and does its job fine.

Answered all my questions, thanks.
It gets quite humid in the summer and I know it will rust within days if not painted. I agree about the chips, see my experience above with fitness avenue (although I still may go that route because of $). Might test out that implement paint and see how durable it is.

In regards to the bar to mix powerlifting and weightlifting the Rogue Matt Chan bar is a pretty good multi-purpose bar that has a center knurling. If you can swing 2 bars and willing to spend the entire $500, then maybe the Fringe Wonder Bar for oly lifts (28mm, bearing) and wait until a Rogue OPB hits the boneyard. I honestly haven't checked Covid-19 era prices, but when I was looking in the past I believe the Wonder Bar was like $200, even less during a big sale.

In regards to the bar to mix powerlifting and weightlifting the Rogue Matt Chan bar is a pretty good multi-purpose bar that has a center knurling. If you can swing 2 bars and willing to spend the entire $500, then maybe the Fringe Wonder Bar for oly lifts (28mm, bearing) and wait until a Rogue OPB hits the boneyard. I honestly haven't checked Covid-19 era prices, but when I was looking in the past I believe the Wonder Bar was like $200, even less during a big sale.
I don't think I care enough to get a PL specific bar. I like some whip when I deadlift and I'm nowhere near good enough at benching or squatting for it to matter much.
I think the next bar I would get is a SS bar. I'm thinking about making a swiss bar too but no need until I have a rack.

I guess one of the big determiners of which bar I go with will be who has stock first.

I don't think I care enough to get a PL specific bar. I like some whip when I deadlift and I'm nowhere near good enough at benching or squatting for it to matter much.
I think the next bar I would get is a SS bar. I'm thinking about making a swiss bar too but no need until I have a rack.

I guess one of the big determiners of which bar I go with will be who has stock first.
In that case any multi-purpose bar would be good enough, which would likely be 28.5mm ideally with a center knurling. You have to pay premium for SS, but worth it for the low maintenance. I remember a while back I saw the Rogue SS Pyrros Bar in the boneyard for like $350 or something. Can't remember exactly. 28mm needle bearing WL bar with aggressive knurling and center knurling. Definitely made for WL, but also likely good enough for PL movements..

In that case any multi-purpose bar would be good enough, which would likely be 28.5mm ideally with a center knurling. You have to pay premium for SS, but worth it for the low maintenance. I remember a while back I saw the Rogue SS Pyrros Bar in the boneyard for like $350 or something. Can't remember exactly. 28mm needle bearing WL bar with aggressive knurling and center knurling. Definitely made for WL, but also likely good enough for PL movements..
I meant a safety squat bar
assuming you thought stainless

Answered all my questions, thanks.
It gets quite humid in the summer and I know it will rust within days if not painted. I agree about the chips, see my experience above with fitness avenue (although I still may go that route because of $). Might test out that implement paint and see how durable it is.

Honestly don't think rust should be an issue if you keep it inside. When my brother and I were teenagers one of our dad's friends welded us an improvised cross cable frame (because accessory lifts, bro) out of 2" black pipe as a favor. Turned out the design was shit so all it was good for was pull-ups but that thing sat in our backyard under a covered patio for 15 years, getting splashed with drizzle when it rained, and the only rust that developed was along the welded joints where the finish was gone and of course where it was pitted. If you just put a light coat of WD-40 on it, I don't think it would rust for many years if ever.

As per above, the Rogue B&R bar I have is fucking awesome. Ohio Bar also gets raves from buddies but I really don't think you can go wrong with Rogue. When I was setting up my basement squat rack, budget was a factor but IMO you get what you pay for @ < USD 300. Standard chrome bars obviously work fine too but they feel so cheap and slippery to me now in comparison.

Last edited:
Honestly don't think rust should be an issue if you keep it inside. When my brother and I were teenagers one of our dad's friends welded us an improvised cross cable frame (because accessory lifts, bro) out of 2" black pipe as a favor. Turned out the design was shit so all it was good for was pull-ups but that thing sat in our backyard under a covered patio for 15 years, getting splashed with drizzle when it rained, and the only rust that developed was along the welded joints where the finish was gone and of course where it was pitted. If you just put a light coat of WD-40 on it, I don't think it would rust for many years if ever.
The T-handle I made last week began to show signs of rust within 2-3 days. I ended up cleaning the rust and painting it. Oil would fix that on a rack but I hate getting my hands oily.

Found these on Fitness Avenue:
https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/cr002

I can get a set of J-hooks, set of safety spotters, Crossmember Pullup bar, and two 8 foot uprights for $330 CAD.
Build a few pieces on top of that to make it a proper half rack. Everything in stock.
They also have a safety squat bar in stock for $130 CAD

I think that's probably the way to go. Can't beat that price.

I meant a safety squat bar
assuming you thought stainless
Yes I meant stainless, lol. SSB is a good choice as well. I got the Titan SSB v2 on black friday for like $175. I don't use it that often, but it's nice to have that option and it can be used for a variety of movements/variations.

Thoughts on this half rack design? See any issues?

Pieces in black are purchased, blue I would need to make. I haven't shown J-hooks but I would buy those as well (included in price). Total is $330 CAD + 60 shipping
Or I could add the (4) side cross-members and (1) rear cross-member for a total of $540 CAD + 90 shipping. They would have holes at 2" increments
I would also add pegs on the rear verticals for loading plates but haven't shown that on my picture.

upload_2020-5-19_15-24-57.png

Design idea coming from:
https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equipment/power-racks/pr-5000-series/hr-5000-half-rack
https://www.roguecanada.ca/infinity-hr2-half-rack-conversion-kit

Thoughts on this half rack design? See any issues?

Pieces in black are purchased, blue I would need to make. I haven't shown J-hooks but I would buy those as well (included in price). Total is $330 CAD + 60 shipping
Or I could add the (4) side cross-members and (1) rear cross-member for a total of $540 CAD + 90 shipping. They would have holes at 2" increments
I would also add pegs on the rear verticals for loading plates but haven't shown that on my picture.

View attachment 770008

Design idea coming from:
https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equipment/power-racks/pr-5000-series/hr-5000-half-rack
https://www.roguecanada.ca/infinity-hr2-half-rack-conversion-kit

Looks good to me, did you use the fitnessavenue rig uprights? Because seeing this I might just do the same.

Looks good to me, did you use the fitnessavenue rig uprights? Because seeing this I might just do the same.
Yup
3 x 3, 11 gauge, 8 feet tall, drilled and powder coated for $90
No way I could make those myself for less.

https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/amstaff-fitness-commercial-monster-power-rack-2-0

This is a Canadian company, good rack for the price.

As for the bar...Synergee has some great bars for the price tag. Not Rogue, but apparently good enough.

Hey bud, thanks for the find - that website has some good prices and on products that arent easy to find nowdays, even after considering shipping costs.

I made an order then got concerned after reading some bad reviews about products not being received (I know they could just be from unreasonable customers).

Have you ordered from them recently (since the pandemic) and received your products?

Back