building a cage

bglax7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
k guys im not sure if thise is the right board to be putting this up on but the guys and myself that i train with out of my home town are looking to get a cage for our gym. ive looked on the net a little and besides combat sports i really cant find any rings to purchase and havent had much luck on finding info on building one... now i know i can throw one together but i want to know if any of you have built ur own or know a place that builds them cheaper than buying them from combat sports

I can't see it being overly difficult, might be expensive though. chain link and something along the lines of football goalpost pads?

It's more complex than you might think. You need a good base/floor and then anchor hte post for the cage to it.

ya i knew it was more difficult than puttin together a glorified dog kennel thats why im askin yall....
hope to get some more replies, thanks guys

Combat Sports International sells some cages for a fair price...look into one of those..make-it-yourself cages are dangerous and can cost more than a manufactured one

Okay, I know you said cage but it has elements of the same as a boxing ring. Here's a link to a "How to build a boxing ring" http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/ring.htm. That should help you on the canvas and padding ideas.

I'll assume since you asked about a cage you want a UFC style cage. For the frame you'll need an octogon plan, the only one I could find online is a gazebo plan http://www.4gazebos.com/freeplans.htm. It's very important in an octogon that you spread the weight properly, so build it as a pie rather than a square. As you expand add cross beams every 18". Then be sure to put down a couple layers of flooring before you put down your foam. For the posts look into heavy commercial posts with strong anchors to the frame. You'll want lag nuts or huge I bolts to hold those in as that's the weakest part of the octogon. The rest is chain link fencing, hopefully someone at the gym knows how to do that.

Good luck!

We just bought a cage for the school and I really do not know where we bought it but was shipped to us 2 weeks ago. This is a floor model. The problem with it, it was not crated. The steel beams were on a pallat and the panels were not put in crates. This caused damage to the fencing itself. The other problem is when the fencing comes down there is not enough fence to wrap around the bottom part of the bar which makes sharp points of the fence to stick straight down and could cause serious injuries to the foot. It looks good but we can not use it the way it is at the present time.

The reason I am telling you this is. If you buy one, ask a lot of questions like, how is it shipped. Get pictures of the cage itself, like close ups of top and bottoms and not just an overall picture.

Make a plan on paper, find some construction worker, welder, ironworker etc. All you need is imagination.

HomeDepot!!!...

I would call Combat-sports...and ask them for a copy of the directions how to assemble their cages....and go from there.

anvar said:
HomeDepot!!!...

I would call Combat-sports...and ask them for a copy of the directions how to assemble their cages....and go from there.
I don't know how willing they would be to give up their plan, considering they want to sell you theirs, not let you build one with their plan.

F-ck the cage.
Just train old school vale tudo style.
You wanna spend some cash...get some nicer mats.

dude if someone puts in a chain link wrong then you are talking serious titches

HeadHunter said:
I don't know how willing they would be to give up their plan, considering they want to sell you theirs, not let you build one with their plan.

just tell them you bought one of theres off craiglist/ebay and you need new directions

I have trained at a few places that just build a corner of a cage.
Build 3 links of fence and put i link on one wall, 1 diagnol across the corner, than the other link on the other wall.. Wouldnt be hard to attach. Get some foam, and vinyl and cover the posts. find some rubber coated fencing.

dog812 said:
I have trained at a few places that just build a corner of a cage.
Build 3 links of fence and put i link on one wall, 1 diagnol across the corner, than the other link on the other wall.. Wouldnt be hard to attach. Get some foam, and vinyl and cover the posts. find some rubber coated fencing.

Thats similar to what we did at our school. We have an area of the mat that ends up being like 7' x 7' or so. Its kind of back in the corner next to the changing room. Well they construced a 3 side cage in that area. Its basic, but its neat.

If you do build your own cage, make sure you post a pic so we can check it out.

You're not going to save much money when all is said an done over the prices that combat Sports sells them for.

at my current gym the guys built a samll cage (same size as the european vale tudo cage), it works fine, sont know how they built it or what it costed but its nice as hell

Back