1. Guest, The MS Paint Shoop Thread v5 is up! Red Block» | Blue Block»
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Build the wall.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by kenetics, Aug 24, 2018.

1. kenetics Silver Belt

You think this is the only tunnel? There are thousands everywhere and much deeper. SMH on the dummies who want to waste tax payer money on it lol.

2. uppercutbus Silver Belt

the wall just got 10 feet deeper.

3. Not A Theist Banned Banned

Before this thread devolves into the piece of burning garbage the OP probably wants it to, does anyone have any data on the effects of border barriers on immigration in other parts of the world? Would be nice to frame this discussion in terms of data rather than the torrent of talking points we're about to have in here.

4. b-hop Green Belt

Don´t worry TS, its gonna to be built.
    [​IMG]

5. Tropodan Silver Belt

I'm hoping that any wall would be accompanied by heavy drone and siezmic surveillance otherwise I agree, it would be pretty much useless against the cartels. It would be more effective against poorer more desperate people without connections.

6. TheGreatA Silver Belt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_West_Bank_barrier#Effectiveness

7. Factory Black Belt

TS is a noob, he knows nothing

8. Not A Theist Banned Banned

Thank you Great A.

Reading through that, it does very strongly suggest that a wall is effective at stopping certain types of activity. This makes me wonder a few things.

For the people who are against the wall, why do you think that the wall will prove ineffective, whereas it seems like the Israeli wall is proving effective? Is the effectiveness skewed/false in some way, or is there some other mitigating factor?

For the people who are for the wall, do you think the fact that Israel faces a different type of problem, in comparison to the U.S., might change the effectiveness of the barrier? Could the small scale and relatively tight population, paired with an extremely active Israeli military make the wall effective in a way that a very long U.S. border wall won't be? Could it defending against illegal immigrants wanting to vanish into the population versus terrorists wanting to hurt people change the effectiveness of said wall?

In short - why do you think a wall will work, or won't work, given that Israel's wall seems to stop certain type of activity?

9. MayhemMonkey Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?

you all know what this means

[​IMG]
    they're real!

10. curryjunkie mixed marital arts...

11. FrontNakedChoke ____________________

Drugs and illegals enter the country in more ways than one, so we should just not try to stop it at all.

Sound logic.

12. OverCoronavirus Pressure Mayberry = War Room, WR = OT. Shit. Banned

5/7/89 Grateful Dead show, Frost amphitheatre
    Donald Trump lies more times every day than illegal immigrants cross the border

13. TheGreatA Silver Belt

Israel's scenario is different, but it does prove that a wall serves to hinder hostile/criminal activity around the border. And if nothing else, the wall sends an imposing message against any criminal tress-passer.

I mean, after all, there's a reason why private property is often surrounded by a cage. Not because people can't climb over the cage, but because it is physical proof that they aren't allowed to tress-pass at a whim.

To many illegal immigrants, considering America's loose enforcement of the border in many parts, as well as its "sanctuary city" policies, the immigrants are being sent a message that it is perfectly okay to bypass legal processes through illegal methods. It is like a child stealing candy from a store, knowing that there aren't any repercussions. But if America sent a stronger message against illegal immigration, I'm pretty sure that a much larger number of people would be inclined to choose the legal way instead.

A wall certainly sends a very strong message against anyone thinking that they're committing a morally or logically justified act by tress-passing. By the time you're climbing that wall, you will know that you're a law-breaker, who's not merely crossing a "mental" barrier, but a physical one.

14. kenetics Silver Belt

Tunnels go way deeper than 10 feet.

15. kenetics Silver Belt

All his allies are flipping on trump. Soon he will be charged and impeached lol.

16. Not A Theist Banned Banned

Good post. I look at it a bit like a weak bike lock... A dedicated thief is going to be able to get through the lock but even a weak lock will keep honest people honest, when temptation to steal an unlocked bike might make them do things they otherwise wouldn't. That being said, I think an intensive cost/benefit analysis would be helpful, but next to impossible in the politically charged zone around this particular issue. I'm afraid most people, on both sides of the issue, are more interested in presenting silly memes and "gotcha!" talking points than hashing out the actual benefit or detriment of a wall.

The biggest disappointment of a wall, for me, is that I haven't seen signs that it is being paired with notable reform of legal immigration. As I've said elsewhere, the mantra I often hear is "I'm all for legal immigration, but against illegal! I'd even be happy accepting more legal immigrants!" but I haven't seen this administration looking to reform legal immigration - perhaps I've missed it? A bi-partisan effort to positively reform legal immigration to cede to the wishes of one side, in a bill that funded the wall to cede to the wishes of the other, seems like a good solution. Instead people are busy talking about tunnels and and drones and making Mexico pay for it...

Anyway, I'm off. Thanks for you insights today GreatA.

17. TheGreatA Silver Belt

I agree that there are a lot of important points, regarding this matter, being drowned out by the "orc crowds" shrieking out their slogans and talking points.

One can only hope that, at some point, the American political conversations can evolve past the point that they are currently in. Right now, the debate appears to have stagnated to focus on a few superficial issues.

I don't really have any "skin in the game" when it comes to America in particular, but sadly a lot of the talking points in our domestic politics are borrowed from America. Thus I've made it my focus to understand where all of this polarized and "intellectually castrated" influence, into our politics, is coming from.

18. b-hop Green Belt

Hear that since day one. Trump is not leaving, he is gonna win the second election, gonna build the Wall, and we gonna have atleast more 6, 7 years of greatness in jobs, in economics, in trade, everything, and a world pax-americana.

19. FIMN Black Belt

Hasn't there been ample time for this admin to do a cost/benefit analysis for this wall yet?

20. M3t4tr0n Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Itt trumpcucks use the same boring memes jokes and talking points they have been using since Drump started running