Buddhism discussion

Bumping this for a question.

1) How do you deal with people that are negative? I don't hate the person and feel sorry for him. But whatever I do, whether it's giving him a gift or taking him to an event, he'll turn it around and make it negative. Not towards me but just life in general. It upsets me because I want the person to change but regardless of what I do, the person is always negative.

Any idea/links to this question is appreciated. Thanks!

Wow, old thread.

I started with mindful meditation, then fell in love with Alan Watts, tried Zen, tried Seon, read a ton about Buddhism and Hinduism and Taoism and reevaluated my view on Christianity and other religions.

Just started listening to a podcast on Secular Buddhism and I like it. I still listen to Zencast with Gil Fronsdal too. Plus got into Stoicism recently. I take whatever I like from religions and philosophies and adapt where possible but I do gravitate to Buddhism the most. It's not unlike MMA - take what works for you, discard the rest.

Sweet, a white belt bumping an 8 year old thread for no reason

If you ask a Catholic, Buddhism is the same as atheism.

buddhism is not that far off from atheism though. also which catholic would you be asking because you might obviously get many different answers out of nearly a billion people dont you think?

Last edited:
Always thought it was cringe how Westerners love to ascribe to Buddhism to make themselves seem more interesting , yet engage hedonistic copulation every weekend.

A lot of the ideologies that buddhists practice are similar to christianity, but thats not "cool" to practice.

buddhism is not that far off from atheism though. also which catholic would you be asking because you might obviously get many different answers out of a nearly a billion people dont you think?
atheism is obsolete. The general consensus in the scientific community these days is that there is evidence of intelligent design.

atheism is obsolete. The general consensus in the scientific community these days is that there is evidence of intelligent design.

The fact that most self proclaimed atheists have just replaced {insert religion} with the church of greed, the church of fame or the church of intersectionality, shows that whether you believe in a higher power or not, humanity needs something to worship or it falls to nihilism.

don't tell lies about consensus.
Im not. entertaining simulation hypothesis has become common practice.

advocates Include:

• Steven Hawking

• Nick Bolstrom

• Tom Campbell

• Brian Cox

• James Gates

• Max Tegmark
  • Sean Carrol

Last edited:
Im not. entertaining simulation hypothesis has become common practice.

advocates Include:

• Steven Hawking

• Nick Bolstrom

• Tom Campbell

• Brian Cox

• James Gates

• Max Tegmark
  • Sean Carrol

i am deeply aware of the changes going on with this topic in the scientific community. you said consensus though and that is not true. more people are open to this possibility now though.

i am deeply aware of the changes going on with this topic in the scientific community. you said consensus though and that is not true. more people are open to this possibility now though.
It's more likely than randomness.
The Infinite monkey theorem has been debunked

My problem with Buddhism is how rigid it is. If you are a true follower of Buddha then you are expected to comply to the following:

Eating only between noon and sundown
No sex (or masturbation)
No drugs or alcohol
No lying
No dancing
No music
No jewelery

Those are just a few of the rules. No music? Seriously? There are some nice ideas in Buddhism such as no lying, no stealing and no killing of any creature but to me these are just common sense.

A rational minded person shouldn't need a rule book to live their lives. Take from every religion and philosophy what applies to your life and moral creed.
That’s only if you want to become a monk.

It's more likely than randomness.
The Infinite monkey theorem has been debunked

a few years back a guy posted a thread on here about the multiverse theory. it was a group of quantum physicists asking other physicists to stop making things up to try and explain away the evidence that points towards a creator. multiverse theory is one of the things they say was fabricated to explain away the mathematics that point to design and they were asking other physicists to stop trying to sell this fiction to the public.

a few years back a guy posted a thread on here about the multiverse theory. it was a group of quantum physicists asking other physicists to stop making things up to try and explain away the evidence that points towards a creator. multiverse theory is one of the things they say were fabricated to explain away that mathematics that point to design and they were asking other physicists to stop trying to sell this fiction to the public.
Im not really a supporter of the Many Worlds Interpretation. I look Quantum superposition like this:

Imagine you're playing a game with different Endings.
Each ending exists, within the game's data, but only one ending renders once a decision is made by the player. I think 'people are misinterpreting the "Multiverse" as realities that exist simultaneously on a different "World line." I think it's more likely that a near-infinite amount of possibilities exist, data wise, but as soon as one is chosen, that is the only one that matters, with no way of ever accessing the other possibilities again.

I don't believe that there are other realities that exist with. parallel versions of ourselves. But I do believe that the "data" exists

My most rudimentary "explanation" of the subject

Last edited:
Im not really a supporter of the multiverse theory. I look Quantum superposition like this:
Imagine youre playing a game with different Endings.
Each ending exists, within the game's data, but only one renders once a decision is made by the player.

My most rudimentary "explanation" of the subject

the thing about the multiverse "theory" is that not only is it not a theory its barely a hypothesis. its the equivalent of a bunch of dudes drinking beer one night just spit balling ways to make their enemies ideas look bad.

the thing about the multiverse "theory" is that not only is it not a theory its barely a hypothesis. its the equivalent of a bunch of dudes drinking beer one night just spit balling ways to make their enemies ideas look bad.
Meant to say "Many Worlds Interpretation'

There are levels to how deep you wanna go. Just as there are levels to how christianity works. Some people follow the bible like it says, others just believe in God in silent. And everything in between.

I guess i am a buddhist in msny ways. I grew up with kung fu and muay thai as something very important to me.

I believe in karma and qi (chi).. but not the magical versions.

And i dont believe in rebirth.

Back