Buatsi vs Dos Santos May 15th DAZN

The funny thing is on Sky Sports over here the commentator was talking about when Buatsi's camp would have him step up and just before the KO he said "when they pull the trigger", and then BOOM, I guess Buatsi pulled the trigger.

Overall i thought Buatsi looked good but it's hard to look too much into this fight as Dos Santos has a weird style and didn't want to fight. For sure though Buatsi needs to move his head or the top dogs will send him to the shadow realm.

Last edited:
Impossible to judge Buatsi until he fights someone who will fight back. Lots of good domestic match ups before anyone should be talking about World level.

Impossible to judge Buatsi until he fights someone who will fight back. Lots of good domestic match ups before anyone should be talking about World level.

Lyndon Arthur or Johnson, any of those would be good next. And a win puts the winner in the top 10 and close to a title shot. Even yarde is a good step up

Last edited:
Lyndon, Arthur or chambers, any of those would be good next. And a win puts the winner in the top 10 and close to a title shot. Even yarde is a good step up

It's just weird that Buatsi hasn't been tested by the top domestic guys and yet he's #7 in the WBO, #3 in the IBF, #6 in the WBC and #2 in the WBA.

I think He’s a really good fighter whos still improving. I think he can beat pretty much everyone other than bivol and beterbiev. He’s not ready for that yet though, he’s fought no one at world level. This fella was a padded can. I don’t think he showed him any respect
I’d like to see a fight against one of his domestic rivals next; Johnson, Arthur or Richards who are all good fighters. Then a world level opponent or even try to get a fight with joe smith. As dangerous as that fight is so soon, it’s easily his best chance at a world title. Especially before canelo moves up
Wouldn't mind him going against Pascal either.

Lyndon, Arthur or chambers, any of those would be good next. And a win puts the winner in the top 10 and close to a title shot. Even yarde is a good step up

It's just weird that Buatsi hasn't been tested by the top domestic guys and yet he's #7 in the WBO, #3 in the IBF, #6 in the WBC and #2 in the WBA.

Wouldn't mind him going against Pascal either.

I know Steve Bunce is a hype man, but to hear him say that an “on form” Buatsi beats Bivol is rediculous, even for him.

I know Steve Bunce is a hype man, but to hear him say that an “on form” Buatsi beats Bivol is rediculous, even for him.

Yeah that's a bit out there for sure, If i was Buatsi i'd be like "Dude can you not?"

I’d maybe risk him in with smith at the moment but bivol and beterbiev are a level above that. It would be throwing him to the lions to stick him in with bivol at this moment.

I’d maybe risk him in with smith at the moment but bivol and beterbiev are a level above that. It would be throwing him to the lions to stick him in with bivol at this moment.

I’d like to see him against Yarde as both guys need to see where they really are domestically before they move up.

I’d like to see him against Yarde as both guys need to see where they really are domestically before they move up.

I’m fairly confident that he beats all of them. I think yarde is likely to be the easier fight for him. Personally I’d rather see him in with Johnson or Arthur, and both these guys are coming off of wins

I’m fairly confident that he beats all of them. I think yarde is likely to be the easier fight for him. Personally I’d rather see him in with Johnson or Arthur, and both these guys are coming off of wins

You may well be right. We just need to see it. I mentioned Yarde as he looks very limited to me so should be easy work for Buatsi if he’s really that good.

Strange quotes from Hunter:

“I’d love to see him be a belt-holder for a bit“

“If he gets the right opponent, I’m confident he will beat him.”

I thought the exact same. Hunter doesn't seem impressed with Buatsi at all, then again they've only been training together for 2 months (i think) and there's always the possibility that's not what Hunter actually said or meant.

Either way it doesn't fill me with confidence when a boxer's coach gives the impression his boxer is limited.

I thought the exact same. Hunter doesn't seem impressed with Buatsi at all, then again they've only been training together for 2 months (i think) and there's always the possibility that's not what Hunter actually said or meant.

Either way it doesn't fill me with confidence when a boxer's coach gives the impression his boxer is limited.

I don’t get a good vibe from Hunter though - some of the stuff he’s been heard to say in the corners over the years (I think there was a thread on it here once) and a behind the scenes with Ward suggested to me at least that he is a coach who has been made by his fighters rather than the way around.

The body language between Hunter and Buatsi last night looked awful - Buatsi wasn’t looking him in the eye when he was talking to him, and Hunter seemed to be doing something very strange and drawn out when taping up Buatsi’s gloves.

He will absolutely destroy Yarde, no chance that fight happens anyway.

He will absolutely destroy Yarde, no chance that fight happens anyway.

I think he’d go at Yarde and make him uncomfortable from the off, but Yarde has got something to throw back which could make it interesting. I’d favour Buatsi, but could go either way on the night based on what I’ve seen of both guys.

I think he’d go at Yarde and make him uncomfortable from the off, but Yarde has got something to throw back which could make it interesting. I’d favour Buatsi, but could go either way on the night based on what I’ve seen of both guys.

Yeah fair enough mate and I do respect your opinion. Just seeing Yarde get beaten by a jab has really put me off him, he looked clueless.

Yeah fair enough mate and I do respect your opinion. Just seeing Yarde get beaten by a jab has really put me off him, he looked clueless.

I think Yarde is pretty useless, but he’s the kind of guy Buatsi needs to put away before people start fantasising about a Bivol or any other World level fight.

A heavyweight debut on the undercard for anyone interested who missed it.

Back