Buakaw vs. Petrosyan

DanielMMElkin

Green Belt
Reaction score
They fought years ago to a draw, but I think they've both stepped up their game, especially Petrsoyan. My question is, who would win a fight between the two? I think Buakaw would win Muay Thai rules but Petrsoyan would win K-1 rules...still they're both the best 70kg standup fighters in the world IMO.
Here's the video of their fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dlc2CKOoI

It's the only kickboxing match i really want to see, any other Petrosyan and Buakaw fight is pointless and predictable.

Can't freaking wait - these lighter guys are the future of muay Thai and international kickboxing - their technique level and athleticism is fairly similar to the the technique level and athleticism of the most successful pro boxers in the lighter weight classes. Same clearly cannot be said for HW MT strikers nowadays.

They fought years ago to a draw, but I think they've both stepped up their game, especially Petrsoyan. My question is, who would win a fight between the two? I think Buakaw would win Muay Thai rules but Petrsoyan would win K-1 rules...still they're both the best 70kg standup fighters in the world IMO.
Here's the video of their fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dlc2CKOoI

Petrosyan wins in both rules. Buakaw is not and has never been the best MT fighter, he never won a belt a lumpinee or Raja. It was only when he startd competing in K1 in Japan he became famous as he became the face of intertnational muay thai bringing his skills and showing the world about muay thai. He is the best international representative of muay thai but far from the best, there are many thais that would beat him if he gave them a chance to do so.

Buakaw won the first time and would win nowadays, real Muay Thai rules. Kickboxing maybe 60/40 for Petrosyan.

i think most everyone feels buakaw has declined in the past few years
based on his record and performance

but when he fought petrosyan, i felt he beat petrosyan in every aspect of the game.. petrosyan hardly landed or did anything in that fight
the draw should have been a clear decision W for buakaw

Petrosyan wins in both rules. Buakaw is not and has never been the best MT fighter, he never won a belt a lumpinee or Raja. It was only when he startd competing in K1 in Japan he became famous as he became the face of intertnational muay thai bringing his skills and showing the world about muay thai. He is the best international representative of muay thai but far from the best, there are many thais that would beat him if he gave them a chance to do so.
He was Thailand and Omnoi champ and ranked at #1 in lumpinee behind his champ stablemate namsaknoi. Certainly far more accomplished of a Nakmuay than Petrosyan...

Who are all the Thais that can beat Buakaw at 70kg? I used to hear Kem, but I just don't see it.

what are you talking about? he's been K-1 world max champion twice, omnoi stadium champion, MTA world champion, and many other titles, not to mention he's beat:
askerov (2x), piscitello, dida, black mamba, kraus (2x), sato (2x), souwer, etc. he's definitely among the best muay thai fighters ever

what are you talking about? he's been K-1 world max champion twice, omnoi stadium champion, MTA world champion, and many other titles, not to mention he's beat:
askerov (2x), piscitello, dida, black mamba, kraus (2x), sato (2x), souwer, etc. he's definitely among the best muay thai fighters ever

not to take away from his accomplishments but he beat them all under k1 rules. as a muay thai fighter he is NOT one of the best ever. wouldnt make top 100.

Last edited:
I will tell you guys a secret... 4-man tournament: Petrosyan, RVR, Ristie and....

Last edited:
Back