BSSS (Before Starting Starting Strength)

20 September 2010

Cardio

Bike HIIT

4 minutes at 30%
4 minutes at 50%
4 minutes at 30%
And then 6 sets of the following
- 30 seconds at 90%
- 60 seconds at 10%
Ending with
5 minutes at 40%

Then I rode trails for about 20 minutes but it was at a super slow pace.

Nutrition

11:00 - Woke up
11:30 - 2 fried eggs and steamed broccoli
3:30 - Tuna burger (1 can of tuna, 1 egg, a bit of oats, and some olive oil, into a patty shape), with some sauteed mushrooms and onions, 1/2 raw red pepper
6:30 - 1 chicken breast, sateed with red pepper, zuchini, and a mushroom, 1 can of cherry coke lol
9:30 - The leftovers from that chicken and veggie dish, 1 small bowl of yogurt, 1 large slice of cheese.

Last edited:
Just realized that I haven't weighed in on your log yet! Pretty nice work- very well laid out!

It looks like you were able to successfully implement some body weight movements; as others have suggested, I'd also advise that you keep an eye out for heavy objects to lift!

Just realized that I haven't weighed in on your log yet! Pretty nice work- very well laid out!

It looks like you were able to successfully implement some body weight movements; as others have suggested, I'd also advise that you keep an eye out for heavy objects to lift!

Thanks! I am thinking of loading up a small suitcase to do zercher style deads and maybe an overhead press. But for now I think Ill just stick with bodyweight movements.

21 September 2010

Weight

79.1 kgs / 174 lbs

Cardio

Steady State Running

2.0 miles (of trails) in 15:40!!!! My best running time, maybe ever in my life lol. When I looked at my timer I couldn't really even believe it. I had a good start, but I really slowed in the middle, and I wasn't able to push myself at the end, but it ended up ok! My plan was to also run at a slower pace for 10 minutes after but I was so gassed I just walked for about 20 minutes.

GPP

20 Bodyweight squats (2 sets x 10 reps)
40 push ups (1 set x 15 reps, 2 sets x 10 reps, 1 set x 5 reps)
Ab work
- 45 crunches (3 sets x 15 reps)
- 10 reverse crunches (1 set x 10 reps) <- These were tough! My first time trying them.
- 10 bicycle crunches (1 set x 10 reps each side)
- 20 alternating toe touches (1 set x 20 reps each side)
20 lying lower back extensions (2 sets x 10 reps)
2 planks to failure (i use the term to failure lightly, I was so done at this point I held each for about 10 seconds)

Stretching

First I started with some bodyweight squats, maintaining strict form and at the bottom, stopping before my back started to round and just holding it there for a couple of seconds to work on the stretch. Then I did my lower body stretching routine (each stretch 2 sets x 30 seconds hold), but I did a couple extra sets on my hamstrings.

Nutrition

10:30 - Wake up
11:15 - 2 mile run and walking
12:00 - Stretching and GPP
1:00 - 1 large bowl of plain low fat yogurt mixed with regular peach yogurt (I know I went too long without eating after I woke up)
3:30 - Semi Cheat Meal. I cooked up 2 chicken breasts with leek, onion, zuchinni, white wine, and then a lot of cream. I ate half of it with about 1 cup of brown rice.
4:15 - The other half of that chicken from above and another cup of brown rice. This was easily three servings of food in total but I was just so hungry I crushed it all.
10:15 - 1 slice of whole wheat bread, 2 large slices of cheese and some olive oil

Today was definately a "cheat" day when it comes to carbs. I think my body was saying it was time to carb up, so hopefully I gave it what it needed for the next week or so.

Last edited:
22 September 2010

Taking the day off from everything workout related.

Nutrition

9:00 - woke up
11:00 - 2 eggs fried with some sauteed onions and zucchini
2:45 - 1 cup plain full fat yogurt, 1/2 cup peach yogurt, 1 fried egg
5:45 - 1 chicken breast, sauteed peppers, onions and broccoli with some pasta sauce and 1 slice of large cheese.
6:45 - 1 cup plain full fat yogurt with some honey.
8:30 - 1 large slice of cheese

Last edited:
Enjoy yourself- but stack that food and fuel up for a big day tomorrow!

BTW, what substance are you using to fry your eggs?

Enjoy yourself- but stack that food and fuel up for a big day tomorrow!

BTW, what substance are you using to fry your eggs?

Olive oil. I'm staying very low carb right now and I am pretty liberal with it.

23 September 2010

Cardio

Bike HIIT

4 minutes at 30%
4 minutes at 50%
4 minutes at 30%
Then 6 sets of;
- 60 seconds at 100%
- 90 seconds at 10%
Followed by
5 minutes at 50%

I think I did these right because I felt sick after, my wind was pretty good on all the working sets, I generally start to slow down after 30 seconds but I can usually push until the end. Last set I only was "on" for 40 seconds.

GPP

50 push ups (2 sets x 15 reps, 3 sets x 10 reps)
20 body weight squats (mostly concentrating on form and the stretch at the bottom)
Abs
- 20 reverse crunches (2 sets x 10 reps) <- these are great
- 35 crunches (1 set x 20 reps, 1 set x 15 reps)
- 20 alternating lower leg lifts (1 set x 20 reps each leg)
2 planks to failure

Stretching

I mostly concentrated on shins, quads, hams and groin. Static.

Nutrition

9:00 - woke up
9:30 - 1 cup plain full fat yogurt, 1 large slice of cheese
12:00 - 3 egg omlette with lots of mushrooms and a bit of zucchini and 1 large slice of cheese
3:00 - Bike HIIT
4:30 - 1 chicken breast and some sauteed peppers, broccoli, mushrooms and leek with a bit of teriyaki sauce
7:30 - The leftover vegetables from above, and 1 can of tuna mixed with 1 egg and olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of oats and pan fried like a hamburger. Also I was still hungry so I ate 1 cup of full fat yogurt.

Well my weight has basically been the same, so I think I am going to eat a bit more than I have been, so I substituted full fat plain yogurt, and I think in the mornings Ill eat 3 eggs instead of 2, but no drastic changes.

Last edited:
Is there a reason your daily schedule starts so late in the day (9 AM, 11 AM)?

I've lived vampire hours before, but I've always felt healthiest when I'm awake for as much of daylight as I can be.

There really is no reason except that I cant seem to get up in the morning lol. But you are right, thanks for calling me out, Ill will get up earlier.

Last edited:
It's september 24th now.

Yes it is.

24 September 2010

Cardio

Was a shit day. I was going to do a 45 minute run, not for any distance or time, and I got about 10 mintues out (about the furthest point from my home in the whole run), and it started pouring. I ran for a bit until my sweatshirt was soaked and then I sought refuge under a tree. It never stopped but when it got lighter I headed home, total running time 25 mintutes, split about in half.

GPP

As I have been practicing my form on body weight squats, I have noticed some of my support muscles seems weak and tight. So today I did a quick workout on my hip flexors and extensors.

Then I finished with 2 sets of straight arm planks, hold 1 minute, 30 seconds rest.

Stretching

Today I was working on the asian squat, trying to force my heels down and keep my back striaght, holding it for about 40 seconds for 3 sets.

Nutrition

10:00 - Woke up (fuck right after I said I would get up early. I did have a solid 8 hours of sleep though).
11:00 - 3 egg omlette with mushrooms and zucchini, 1 apple
2:45 - 1 cup plain full fat yogurt with 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt
5:45 - 1 tuna burger with sauteed onions and mushrooms, 1 slice whole wheat bread, 1 large slice of cheese, 1 plain full fat yougurt
8:45 - 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 slice of large cheese

It looks like a lot of dairy. I guess it is, its funny I cut out milk and Ive been making up for it i guess.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I didnt do shit really. Woke up, busted out 50 pushups, and then basically had to do work all day and also ate a cheat meal and baked cookies lol.

26 September 2010

Cardio

Steady State Jogging.

I ran for 30 minutes, was a pretty leisurely pace. I need to step it up a bit next time.

GPP

20 bodyweight squats, concentrating on form and the stretch at the bottom.
2 straight arm planks, 1 minute each, 30 seconds rest in between
Various hip extensor and hip flexor exercises

Stretching

Some static stretching of my calves and the front of my shins. Then 3 sets of asian squats, holding at the bottom, working on straightening out my lower back and stretchign my groin. I held each for about 45 seconds.

Nutrition

10:00 - woke up
10:30 - plain low fat yogurt mixed with regular strawberry yogurt
11:15 - 30 minute run
12:00 - GPP and stretching
1:00 - 3 eggs, steamed broccoli, 2 cups of whole milk, 3 cookies
4:30 - Hamburger with no bun, 1 slice large cheese
9:00 - Ground beef, pasta sauce, sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, cream

Last edited:
27 September 2010

Weight

80.1 kgs / 176 lbs

Cardio

Bike HIIT

4 minutes at 30%
4 minutes at 50%
4 minutes at 30%
Then 5 sets of;
- 60 seconds at 100%
- 90 seconds at 10%
Followed by
5 minutes at 50%

I did not seem as strong in these as last time. I think honestly my hip extensors are super sore from working them out yesterday and that affected me a bit.

Nutrition

10:00 - wake up
10:30 - HIIT
11:30 - 3 egg omelette with zucchini and mushroom, 2 cookies (I almost finished these cookes I baked lol)
5:30 - Some ground beef, pasta sauce, zucchini and mushroom, 1 large slice of cheese, cream

Not sure what happened to my nutrition today, i guess i missed some meals. Right now I am not sure about my goals. Need to rethink them a bit.

Is there a reason your daily schedule starts so late in the day (9 AM, 11 AM)?

I've lived vampire hours before, but I've always felt healthiest when I'm awake for as much of daylight as I can be.

lol I can't remember the last time I was up before 1pm.

Man I am up with the sun. It's so bloody hot I've got to get outa bed or I'll fry like an egg.

Since you are doing body weight do you think you might add some explosive jump squats and clap push-ups to get more power? Also are you doing any burn out sessions on your push-up max? What is your push-up max if you drop down right when you are done reading this and pump them out till your elbows shake and you hear your heart beating in your skull?
Do it.

Hey- I want to hear your push-up results based on Takezo's challenge! What's the scoop, homie?

Back