1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

BSSS (Before Starting Starting Strength)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ChinBo37, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

I am looking to get back to lifting after half assedly training Muay Thai in the Netherlands this year. Right now Im living at a friends in Germany while I get a work visa sorted out and I have no gym, no access to a gym or weights or even an area to workout with home made weights. So Ive been running, biking, or walking twice a day, and I want to start adding in some body weight conditioning like regular pushups and stuff.

In a bout one month when I start my job I can join a gym and start Starting Strength.

Goals:

- Get my weight to about 76-77 kgs while continuing to cut fat though HIIT and long distance cardio.
    - Improve my cardio both though HIIT and long distance running and biking.
    - Improve my GPP
    - Continue to rehab my shoulder which needs constant work since a surgery 4 years ago.
    - Improve flexibility of both lower and upper body

About Me:

Height - 6'0" / 183?cm

Weight - approx 174 / 79 kgs

Thanks for reading and any feedback!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

5 September 2010

Running workout.

I ran 3 miles in 29:50.

This felt ok, my very first timed run ever was like 3 days ago and I did 3 miles in 34:00. (yes I am very slow). I want to try again in 2 days and try to break 29:00.

3. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

There's not really any need to get prepared to do Starting Strength. It's designed for novice lifters (and is what I use anytime I've had a long layoff from lifting).

That being said, the real world provides lots of opportunities to pick up heavy things that are not weights. I'm sure if you pay attention, you'll begin to find heavy things around you worth lifting.

Of things that might carry over directly to Starting Strength, you could be doing bodyweight squats and working out any flexibility issues that might prevent you from dropping to the bottom of the squat.

4. MatterOverMind

MatterOverMind Pulling for you

You wanted this in the training logs, no?

5. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

Oh sorry can a mod move this to training logs?

6. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

Thanks, I will work on this!

7. mrsneakyz28

mrsneakyz28 Green Belt

Slow push-ups, air squats, and pullups in a tree or something will help you alot.

8. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

9. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

6 September 2010

Short bike ride.

Im not sure how far I went, but i rode at a good pace for about 30 minutes.

10. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

8 September 2010

Weight

79.3 kgs / 174.5 lbs

I am 7.5 lbs off my goal!

Cardio

Another 3 mile run. This time was a bit slower at 31:10. I lost over a minute from my last run of 3 days ago. Kind of discouraging but I chugged like 1 liter of water before I ran cause i was feeling a bit dried out and I had a side cramp like the whole time I was running, so I think that contributed to that lost minute. I did feel like I was able to push myself well at the end so I think I can make a big breakthrough next time I try this 3 miles again, however for my next timed run I think I will do something a bit shorter like 2 miles.

GPP

I havent done any lifting or bodyweight exercises in so long so I did;

- 45 crunches (15 reps x 3 sets)
    - 30 pushups (10 reps x 3 sets)

11. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

10 September 2010

Weight

79.1 kgs / 174 lbs

Cardio

I decided I wanted to do some HIIT as the weight is coming off slower now. I hadn't done HIIT in a long time and my old routine was 90 secs on/90 secs off for 4 rounds with a 15 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. I researched and found lots of different programs so I did the following -

10 minute jog (probably about 30-40%)
    30 sec @ 100%
    90 sec walking
    repeat 4 times
    7 minute jog to cool down

Damn it was hard! The last set I probably only ran for 20 secs and my right quad feel really bad lol. Anyways I stretched it out and hopefully I can try again in a couple of days, but in the meantime I might go back to bike HIIT. Anyone have any good HIIT routines that worked for them as a beginner?

12. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

11 September 2010

Weight

79.4 kgs / 174.68 lbs

Damn! Cant figure this one out, I think weighing myself everyday is a bad idea. I have a feeling this figure was just an anomaly. I didnt eat that much yesterday.

Cardio

2 mile run - 18:10.

I felt pretty good here, my right quad is still a little sore from HIIT yesterday. This was a run that included trails, not just on the road. I was fucking seriously gassed after this one too. My cardio is still shit but I guess improving.

GPP

First I practiced some deep body weight squats, which were hampered by my quad. Then

- 30 pushups (3 sets x 10 reps)
    - 45 crunches (3 sets x 15 reps)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  13. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

13 September 2010

Weight

79.6 kgs / 175.12 lbs

Well my diet has been good, but I'm not seeming to lose weight. I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing, I don't really want to eat less as I feel I am eating a pretty small amount now.

Cardio

Bike HIIT

5 minutes at 30%
    5 minutes at 50-60%
    5 minutes at 30%
    and then 4 sets of
    - 90 seconds at 90-100%
    - 90 seconds at 10%
    5 minutes at 50-60%
    3 minutes at 20%

This felt pretty good, I ripped off some skin on my foot when I ran last time so looks like it will be bike cardio until the end of the week probably.

GPP

- 20 BW Squats (2 sets x 10 reps)
    - 30 pushups (3 sets x 10 reps)
    - 1 plank to failure
    - 10 Lying on my stomach Lower back Extension (raising arms and legs off the ground (1 set x 10 reps)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  14. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

15 September 2010

Weight

79.0 kgs / 173.8 lbs

Sweet. Yesterday was 78.8 too. So the weight is still coming off just slowly and I can live with that. Honestly I dont want to lose any more weight but I do want to shed some fat off my midsection so I think this is the right pace.

Cardio

Bike Long Distance

10.2 miles in 1:03 minutes.

I am not sure exactly how far I went, this above was according to mapmyrun.com. About 1/2 was roads and 1/2 was trails, and it was windy as fuck so sometimes I felt like I was using all my effort to basically go in place. Anyways, was my first timed bike cardio of 10 miles so Ill have to do this again soon, but tomorrow will be HIIT.

GPP

- 40 push ups (2 sets x 15 reps, 1 set x 10 reps)
    - 40 crunches (2 sets x 15 reps, 1 set x 10 reps)
    - 20 alternating toe touches (1 set x 20 reps)
    - 1 plank to failure
    - 20 face down lower back extensions (2 set x 20 reps)

15. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

16 September 2010

Weight

79.2 kgs / 174.24 lbs

Cardio

Running HIIT

9 minutes at 30%
    4 sets of
    - 20 seconds sprinting
    - 90 seconds walking
    8 minutes at 30%

Wow I fucking suck at sprinting. I was trying to get 30 seconds sprinting but I seemed to gas out at 20 seconds every set. Next time I am going to switch to 8 sets of 10 seconds sprint and 20 seconds walk.

This diet I think is getting to me, I am about to eat a frozen pizza, I havent cheated on my non cheat day in over 1 month. Oh well, tomorrow will be bike HIIT.

16. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

18 September 2010

Weight

79.4 kg / 174.68

Cardio

Bike Long Distance

Today I did a bike ride of about 52 km / 32 miles. I'm not sure exactly. I did not do it non stop because I was combining it with some errands and my cheat meal :icon_chee

It was a combination of trails and road, about 1/3 trails and 2/3 road. I probably did about 4 hours of biking in about 5 hours. i did 1/2 without stopping, then i did probably 1/3 break and then 2/3 teh back half home.

I felt pretty good, I was able to push myself much harder than I did last time I tried this. I really need to do some GPP but my back is killing me. Tomorrow! Also I want to start to log my food intake, or at least what carbs I am eating, maybe someone can take a look at my diet to help me shed these last couple of pounds in my stomach.

17. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

19 September 2010

Cardio

My legs were pretty sore from that 50 km bike ride yesterday so today I just woke up, and went on a 1 hour walk at a medium pace.

GPP

After that I did

- 40 wide push ups (2 sets x 15 reps, 1 set x 10 reps)
    - 20 alternating oblique toe touches (1 set x 20 reps)
    - 20 lying lower back extensions (2 sets x 10 reps)
    - 2 planks to failure

Stretching

From now on if you don't see me log my stretching, it means I am not doing it!!! So get on me (not like anyone reads this hee).

Today I did my regular lower body static stretch routine. For each stretch I do 2 sets of about 30 seconds each.

Then after that I did a couple stretches which are squat specific. I am really trying to eliminate my rounding lower back at the bottom of my squat. I never realized I did it before but after reading some more about squatting I see its so bad now. So basically I am going to parallel keeping a tight lower back and then at parallel it start to round. So I did a couple of body weight squats, hanging out near parallel, trying to force my correct position, as well as some stretches at the bottom of my squat.

Nutrition

Ok I am going to start to log my food intake as well, maybe someone can look at this and help me shed the last couple of pounds off my stomach.

11:00 - Woke up

11:30 - 1 hour walk

12:45 - Ate 1 small bowl of 1.5% plain yogurt with a couple of spoons of regular fat/sugar peach yogurt mixed in.

1:00 - GPP and stretching

2:45 - 2 eggs scrambled with 1/2 piece of cheese and some sauteed onions and mushrooms

6:30 - I cooked 1 large chicken breast in olive oil, teriyaki, with 1 small onion. Also I steamed mushrooms, broccoli, and 1/2 red pepper. I ate about 3/4 of it to save the rest before bed.

9:15 - The rest of my chicken and steamed vegetables from above.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  18. Takezo

Takezo White Belt

Try some "bicycle" abs maybe? (Lay on back and alternate elbow to opposing knee in rapid succession) It is a good way to mix it up if you get bored crunching it out.

19. Takezo

Takezo White Belt

By the way, it's good to see you and Kmonk lifting and training.

20. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

Ya man, its been too long since we all worked out together. Now we are on different parts of the globe so we wil have to use Sherdog as our "Digital Fitness Fanatics"