Bryan Barbarena's physique

I wasn't talking about elite weightlifting numbers... i was talking about needing a strength base. A lot of this stuff about Askren seems to revolve around his meh physique and stories that he struggled to bench his bw when he arrived at college.

If you think he doesn't lift regularly I dunno what to tell you.

Also yes, I have been lifting for 17 years and used to be a PT.
I didn't know about him struggling to bench his bodyweight @ college.....even then, I bet you he was stronger than most wrestlers at his college who can lift more than him.

He might lift regularly...I know GSP does.....But they aren't super strong at all....I remember GSP saying he can bench 225lbs or a little bit more and he was like "Im not that strong lifting and people are shocked at my numbers", and he isn't....but I guarantee you GSP is way stronger than many MMA fighter at his weight class that lifts more than him.

Don't really give a damn if you been lifting that long and are a PT........It's clear that lifting strength doesn't translate well to grappling strength like you claim...It's good in assisting but nothing drastic will change in terms of grappling/punching strength/power.

Definitely weird looking dude. Similar to that midget with the giant head and the tiny body with super narrow shoulders. I forgot his name.

But not that bad.

I didn't know about him struggling to bench his bodyweight @ college.....even then, I bet you he was stronger than most wrestlers at his college who can lift more than him.

He might lift regularly...I know GSP does.....But they aren't super strong at all....I remember GSP saying he can bench 225lbs or a little bit more and he was like "Im not that strong lifting and people are shocked at my numbers", and he isn't....but I guarantee you GSP is way stronger than many MMA fighter at his weight class that lifts more than him.

Don't really give a damn if you been lifting that long and are a PT........It's clear that lifting strength doesn't translate well to grappling strength like you claim...It's good in assisting but nothing drastic will change in terms of grappling/punching strength/power.

There is no wrestler of any note, anywhere, who doesn't squat and DL regularly.

I mean... seriously dude? There are a million college wrestling strength programs online... seems like they're all wasting their time trying to get these guys in the weight room.

There is no wrestler of any note, anywhere, who doesn't squat and DL regularly.

I mean... seriously dude? There are a million college wrestling strength programs online... seems like they're all wasting their time trying to get these guys in the weight room.
Again.... I never said they don't.

I said that if you have spectacular weight lifting numbers...You won't be stronger than Khabib even though Khabib lifts less.

Do you understand?

Again.... I never said they don't.

I said that if you have spectacular weight lifting numbers...You won't be stronger than Khabib even though Khabib lifts less.

Do you understand?

Well you seem to have some crazy idea of what is considered "spectacular". Like 0.000000000000000001% of the population can deadlift 600 lbs but you scoff at that so I guess you are right, you don't have to deadlift 1000+ to fight mma? Not sure what you were trying to prove.

Let’s just say he’s not turning me gay.

he's roy nelson just trimmed down a little. Is normal

Sure bro.

I bet u ben askren still is 500x stronger than you even though you bench, squat. And deadlift more than him.

images

I said it helps really really little....if u increase your deadlift/squats by 150lbs...you are not gonna get huge jump in grappling strength or punching strength.

images

Again, this guy probably has horrible gym numbers....he is still way stronger than you when it comes to MMA grappling strength.
That’s called technique dumbass, if everything else is equal and I lift to increase my strength that’s better than me not doing anything for strength. I don’t know why it’s so hard to believe that lifting weights gets you stronger(yes even for grappling) when I started bjj I was one of the shorter and smaller guys but I was overpowering people 20 lbs my size easily(btw before you say anything I’m talking strictly power and strength, not saying I’m a good grappler).

Back