Bruno: Bonecrusher Smith was the best puncher I ever faced

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In what world is Bonecrusher Smith a better puncher than Tyson and Lewis? All Smith did was stalling in that fight against Tyson. That's how much of a puncher he was... Talked a lot before the fight, did nothing of it in the ring. pussy.

Why do the boxers give such crazy answers in these Ring Magazine interviews?

Interesting that he feels Tyson (back then) was a better fighter overall than Lewis. I would not have expected that, although he was winning his fight against Lewis until the KO, so it makes sense from his perspective.

Last edited:
Everyone says the spinks fight was the clearest example of mike scaring an opponent

I call bullshit on that. The second Bruno fight, Frank is literally walking to the ring like he is about to face a firing squad. And as soon as Mike turned it on he crumbled

In what world is Bonecrusher Smith a better puncher than Tyson and Lewis? All he did was stalling in that fight against Tyson. That's how much of a puncher he was...

Why do the boxers give such crazy answers in these Ring Magazine interviews?

Interesting that he feels Tyson (back then) was a better fighter overall than Lewis. I would not have expected that, although he was winning his fight against Lewis until the KO, so it makes sense from his perspective.

Bonecrusher smith fckin smashed Bruno in 3-4 rounds. I’m not surprised he says that that

Yeah he was doing really well until the stoppage against Lewis, but it was fairly inevitable that he was getting stopped at some point.

I don’t think frank can make a solid judgement between Lewis and Tyson because he was clearly shit scared of mike, and didn’t believe he could win. And Tyson’s was a fcking horrible style for Bruno. Same with Joshua. These guys are perfect for Tyson back in the day. Lewis kept him away with his jab, superior boxing ability and physical size. I think prime Lewis vs prime mike ends the same as their fight. Bruno had nothing to keep Tyson off of him; power but slow feet and hands

Everyone says the spinks fight was the clearest example of mike scaring an opponent

I call bullshit on that. The second Bruno fight, Frank is literally walking to the ring like he is about to face a firing squad. And as soon as Mike turned it on he crumbled

Absolutely agree. He was beaten before he got to the ring. I remember my old boxing coach saying ‘this ain’t gonna last long, it looks like hes shit his pants in the dressing room’! You could see it in his face.

He wasn’t much better in the first fight

Bonecrusher smith fckin smashed Bruno in 3-4 rounds. I’m not surprised he says that that

Yeah he was doing really well until the stoppage against Lewis, but it was fairly inevitable that he was getting stopped at some point.

I don’t think frank can make a solid judgement between Lewis and Tyson because he was clearly shit scared of mike, and didn’t believe he could win. And Tyson’s was a fcking horrible style for Bruno. Same with Joshua. These guys are perfect for Tyson back in the day. Lewis kept him away with his jab, superior boxing ability and physical size. I think prime Lewis vs prime mike ends the same as their fight. Bruno had nothing to keep Tyson off of him; power but slow feet and hands

You mean because Bruno had a vulnerable chin? How was it inevitable? He kept outpointing Lewis. Prime for Prime, Tyson under Rooney was more consistent than Lewis. Lewis had a robbery against Mercer and was losing against Bruno. Tyson had none of that.

The second Bruno fight, Frank is literally walking to the ring like he is about to face a firing squad. And as soon as Mike turned it on he crumbled

How do you mean? Both fights were just slugg fests that he lost. I think Bruno was Tysons best wins by far. The only dangerous opponent he fought IMO. A guy who could box and had an ever higher KO ratio than Tyson

Tyson>>>Lewis when it comes to h2h prime vs prime.
2002 Tyson was not 1988 Tyson and no where fuckin near it.

Tyson>>>Lewis when it comes to h2h prime vs prime.
2002 Tyson was not 1988 Tyson and no where fuckin near it.

Both were very talented. Lewis weakness was his tentativeness, pawing with the jab. Coaches thought he was overthinking instead of just fighting.

Tyson didn't really have that many bad habits. He slowed down a bit when guys didn't go down but he kept his cool. And he won most rounds.

I think Tyson won something like 95% of his rounds with Rooney.

How do you mean? Both fights were just slugg fests that he lost. I think Bruno was Tysons best wins by far. The only dangerous opponent he fought IMO. A guy who could box and had an ever higher KO ratio than Tyson
<{walkerwhut}>

Really? Explain a little further

Best I faced: Frank Bruno, Ring Magazine

BEST OVERALL

Tyson: Tyson had it all; the hunger to win the belts, to fight, to move and determination to take anybody down that crossed him at his peak. He knew the quicker he could get rid of his opponent the less chance he would get caught and he was determined to get rid of his opponents quickly.

https://www.ringtv.com/520640-best-faced-frank-bruno/

You mean because Bruno had a vulnerable chin? How was it inevitable? He kept outpointing Lewis. Prime for Prime, Tyson under Rooney was more consistent than Lewis. Lewis had a robbery against Mercer and was losing against Bruno. Tyson had none of that.

Yeah he just got knocked clean out by buster douglas instead!

Lewis knocked Bruno out so it’s irrelevant, and what great fighter doesn’t have close decisions in their career? Lewis fought and beat better fighters than Tyson as well. The HW division wasn’t very good when Tyson was clearing up. it was much better by Lewis/Holyfield reign. I think Holyfield would still beat him prime for prime as well

If you followed and watched Bruno’s career, he has a pattern of getting beat when he runs out of steam against good fighters. It happened with Witherspoon, Lewis, and almost against McCall.

Last edited:

I love big frank but he just wasn’t that good imo. Lots of power, good jab, but slow and robotic. He’s a poor mans AJ imo. I think it is a good win on paper, but as the greatest pointed out, Bruno has lost both fights before he even got in the ring because he was scared, or didn’t have the belief that he would win. Watch his ring walk in the 2nd fight, when he was champion. He looks like he walking to the gallows dude

I love big frank but he just wasn’t that good imo. Lots of power, good jab, but slow and robotic. He’s a poor mans AJ imo. I think it is a good win on paper, but as the greatest pointed out, Bruno has lost both fights before he even got in the ring because he was scared, or didn’t have the belief that he would win. Watch his ring walk in the 2nd fight, when he was champion. He looks like he walking to the gallows dude

First fight he was certainly not scared. I don't perceived him to be slow and robotic when he outboxed Lewis. Not sure where you got that from. Tyson was impressed by his handspeed.

Yeah he just got knocked clean out by buster douglas instead!

That was not Tyson in his prime. He was already past his prime when he fought Bruno. Anybody who followed his career can see the deterioration.

Smith was a very hard puncher and very durable.

Tyson detractors like to act like he was a bum, but far from it. He smashed bruno and he smashed witherspoon.

That was not Tyson in his prime. He was already past his prime when he fought Bruno. Anybody who followed his career can see the deterioration.

Lol so you’re saying he was on the slide at 22 years old???
Partying and not training as hard does not mean he’s past his prime. Mike was bang in his prime from 86 till the Douglas fight. Lack of motivation and poor decisions outside the ring are choices he made.

Haha, so you’re saying he was on the slide at 22 years old???.

He became a bone headed slugger. He didn't have any timing or balance against Douglas either. Looked incredibly sluggish, like he had a hang-over. His fight IQ was lost after Rooney got fired, the morale was down, his corner kept changing.

Who is Frank to say who hit him harder...

<TheWire1>

Back