bruising from bjj

FStep

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i'm fairly new to bjj (couple weeks in) did standup for years so i'm used to contact sports etc but for some reason my biceps are getting bruised up like crazy every time i roll i don't mind a few bruises but its making it harder to apply pressure, etc with some moves. i also notice that no one in my class really has that except me (everyone i train with has been doing bjj well over 6 months) ... so i'm guessing this is just because i'm not used to the environment which is fine and all but how long does it take usually before the constant bruising stops?

wear a rash guard so the skin won't get pinched between your gi when they grab it

i get bruises all over my calves and shins and around my shoulders/arms from pinching

Hmm, maybe I will try a rash guard then. I look like a damn leopard I get so many bruises.

everyone gets bruises, if your goin at it hard

I've been doing submission wrestling for a little over 3 weeks (off the past week with bad bruised ribs) but I get lots of little bruises on my biceps as well. I wear a short sleeve rash guard so it doesn't stop the bicep bruises.

My shoulders take a damn beating, after every class I have red burn marks on them.

i wear a gi and i have bruises on my legs, arms, shoulders....... just part of the game.. Its a combat sport. .. be thankful bruises is all you get.

infamous mattyd said:
wear a rash guard so the skin won't get pinched between your gi when they grab it
i don't wear a gi ... so would rashguards be the way to go here (i assume you need long sleeve ones)

FStep said:
i'm fairly new to bjj (couple weeks in) did standup for years so i'm used to contact sports etc but for some reason my biceps are getting bruised up like crazy every time i roll i don't mind a few bruises but its making it harder to apply pressure, etc with some moves. i also notice that no one in my class really has that except me (everyone i train with has been doing bjj well over 6 months) ... so i'm guessing this is just because i'm not used to the environment which is fine and all but how long does it take usually before the constant bruising stops?

After about three months or so you'll find yourself getting less bruises unless the guys have killer grips. I personally get red marks from gi burns and crossfaces a lot more than I get bruises, which is even less fun.

If the worse you ever get from BJJ/judo/Grappling is bruises you should coun't yourself extremely lucky. Every couple of weeks this thread pops up, has everyone noticed this yet? Maybe the mod can put it on the F.A.Q.

man i just made this same post, not too long ago.. now i'm starting not to mind my brusing.. kinda like a badge of pride.. i was getting them cause i was too damn soft... lately i;ve been toning myself,and the brusing has gone WAY WAY down since my body got harder

Superbeast said:
After about three months or so you'll find yourself getting less bruises unless the guys have killer grips. I personally get red marks from gi burns and crossfaces a lot more than I get bruises, which is even less fun.

Now that you mention it, i've been doing BJJ for about 3 1/2 months and the bruising has pretty much stopped. I occasionally get them, but my arms were covered in them when I first started.

takes time for the body to adjust, in the meantime ice and arnica should help them fade quicker.

When I first started my girlfriend freaked cus you have so many they don't even look like brusise, they look like some funky diesease

I get the same thing. They aren't really bruises though. They don't hurt at all. I think they are just busted blood vessels. They go away in about two or three days, but if you train more than that they never seem to go away.

lonewolf_454 said:
takes time for the body to adjust, in the meantime ice and arnica should help them fade quicker.

When I first started my girlfriend freaked cus you have so many they don't even look like brusise, they look like some funky diesease

Lol I've heard complaints. Girls don't seem to be impressed, more grossed out. It looks like you caught some yucky illness.

yup, it's a fact. girls no like grappling. bruises, cauli ear, and don't ever let them watch a vid of sub-wrestling, they'll be thinkin' you're ghey. At least with the gi, you're wearing a "karate outfit" as my girl likes to say.

Your body (i don't know how) will stop getting bruised in a few months litle by litle you will see less bruises in your body until they are almost gone or dificult to happen... screw the rash guard let your body breathe. Use rash guard only no-gi.

Back