Bruised/Sprained Ribs from grappling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by PayPerView, Jan 28, 2006.

1. PayPerView

PayPerView Orange Belt

while working to pass my guard my sparring partner put all his weight on my left ribcage and i immediately felt the pain.

it does not hurt when i breathe so im thinking the ribs arent broken. However, it still hurts very badly when touched and i wanted to know if i should continue sparring or let it heal. I can deal with the pain but i don't want the healing time to get any longer than needed. I understand this isn't the same as a regular bruise.

right now im just putting ice on it and taking IB prufen. i plan on sparring again on monday. anyone think otherwise?

2. illmental

illmental Blue Belt

Yes thats a good idea to take time off, let the pain and the injury heal, because it might hurt later in the future if you dont heal it right now. Keep in mind that our health is the most important thing ever.

3. Flibb

Flibb Uwe Boll fan

One of my training partners got choked by that. His opponent was huge like 300 lbs.

4. triso

triso Green Belt

If someone is doing that to you, and the pain is becoming to intense open your guard and play there instead of closed.

5. Crooks

Crooks White Belt

this exact injury happened to my training partner. it happened when a larger guy landed hard on his rib cage and just chilled there practicing weight control. it bothered him until he took a few days off to let it heal, which fixed it right up. he didn't know what the problem was exactly becuase it didn't hurt when he breathed so the ribs we not broken, but our instructor told him it was most likley the muscles in between the ribs that were pulled.

6. Senterian

Senterian Orange Belt

that is an injury that doesnt heal without time... if you plan on rolling with it you are not going to heal up ever... i originally hurt mine wrestling when i was in high school 10 years ago and i was fine until i had a RNC on someone standing and he fell back with all his momentum and the exact same pain started for me... until i had a more serious injury that caused me to really take time off i suffered with alot of pain from it and my game suffered alot because i couldnt play my game the way i wanted to with the rib injury...

best to takea couple weeks at the least off and let it heal...

7. bammann45

bammann45 Yellow Belt

As others have said, take some time to heal up... one of my training partners had that injury -- turns out he had torn connective tissue around his ribs... so I would rest up for awhile -- say 2 weeks, if its still real bad, go to the doc.

8. Orphangrinder

Orphangrinder Yellow Belt

I had a guy stack me while I was kinda twisted to the side, and I felt/heard something tear in my ribs. It hurt when I moved, and I had to take about 2 weeks off before I could train, and took it easy for about another 2, but it healed okay on its own. Just give it some time, take it easy, and listen to your body.

9. johil d'o

johil d'o Thought Warrior

I got a similar injury recently while doing the clock choke around a guy's back. As I was straightening my arms and bringing my legs forward to sit out, I had a strong pain in the left center of my sternum/ribcage. Now it only hurts if I do like an ab crunch or clench my muscles in that area or if I push with hard pressure right over that spot under my left pec.

It's a concern to me. I guess i can't train for a bit. :(

10. Qweniden

Qweniden White Belt

Same thing happened to me. Someone sat on me trying to go for an arm bar and I heard two snapping sounds. Hurt like hell and I couldnt finish class. Then on sunday I picked soemthing heaving up and hurt it even more.

Take time off until it doesnt hurt anymoer. This is the second time I have had hurt ribs and it takes forever to heal.

11. Qweniden

Qweniden White Belt

Questions for experinced BBJ people: Doesnt the rib area get tougehr over time when you roll? It was depressing how easily mine got damaged.

12. Ghostrider

Ghostrider Orange Belt

No. IT doesn't get tougher. Nont that I am the most experienced. IMO you just learn to not stay still while on bottom because that is when you get caught with that. Easier said than done of course because it sucks when you are on the bottom and someone is using all his weight on your ribcage. Shrimping to get out and continuous movement to avoid getting caught.

13. kuroMaguro

kuroMaguro Green Belt

Had the same injury, from just about the same situation. Took 3 months to heal fully. Took off for 2 months, but didn't heal. Decided to just train top position and no guard and it went away.

14. The Jake

The Jake Evil Genius

Don't fuck around. Take time off. I just took a month off for bruised/fractured sternum. Ribs are a real bitch and if you make them worse you will really know pain and could be out for much longer. I've broken multiples ribs at least twice. Trust me on this.

- J.

15. VampireMonk

VampireMonk Black Belt

you always let it heal.

and sometimes it takes active healing to encourage it to heal if not it will
    just stay that way and adapt.

so do stretching exercises.

16. Ghostrider

Ghostrider Orange Belt

Sorry for the wordy post.

I shouldn't have posted about rib injuries.

Mine are very tender right now due to some drills I did while visiting another club (jujutsu and judo , not bjj club): Picking up an old punching bag and doing overhead presses, then carrying it over to the next guy and tossing it to him -in the chest mind you. This felt great at the time and I figured it was a great drill. My body says otherwise three days later. I think it is just the fact that I am not used to lifting weights because I was OK until the fourth set of ten. We followed that with strike drills and combinations for about thirty minutes. My shoulders were tired as can be.
    Now part two:

Last night I went to practice at a saulo ribeiro JJ affiliated club in virginia and the drills consisted of passing guard , mount and hten rolling for 2 minutes 30 seconds and then 4 minutes rolling with opponents. My training partner got his knee on my ribcage while passing guard and that really got my attention as I seriously thought of tapping right there as I could not breathe. IT was funny as I refused to tap or give up and my mind went into a semi-Panic mode (as in I can't breathe!!!). I rolled to the side which really didn't help me hold him in the guard position which was the drill. On the plus side, I did get to breathe a lot better. The next guy I rolled with just squeezed his legs on my ribs. He understood I had tender ribs and took it easier which was better for both of us becasue we focused more on other techniques. My experience was that it is easy to break down and lose your concentration if you roll while injured, it affects your stamina. I am in pretty good shape and felt as winded as when I ran a half marathon. Just to check if I am really that out of shape, I ran two miles ata a good pace (7 min miles - 14 minutes) of course that doesn't necessarily measure stamina as much as good cardio.
    I will probably follow the rest advice in case it is more than just sore muscles.

17. Short_Stack

Short_Stack Banned Banned

when i hurt mine it was durring a wrestling match and i took the guy down and he kept his legs curled and up and i droped him and his knee went right into my side. i could hardly wrestle after that it took me about 1 1/2 months before i could even wrestle with only feeling little pain and i was take 2000 milagrams of ib profen a day. so alot of pain killers :)

18. The Jake

The Jake Evil Genius

I could swim and still lift weights with bruised ribs although I had to change my routine heavily. Infact, swimming and running was about all I could do. If you have broken ribs you will really know about it and will have probs breathing.

- J.

19. blanko

blanko Guest

Dude i did the same thing. I made the mistake of putting my chest on his head while clock choking him about two years ago. You just need to take some time off.