bruce lee's workout

Status
Not open for further replies.
JamieO, you might be right about his weight for the movie, but in one of his books, I believe "The Tao of JKD" it clearly states his weights from before and after he started lifting. The book was also based before his movie career took off. So, his weight might have changed during that time.

Urban said:
ok... sooo... Bruce lee is dead. you guys know that right? happened like 30 years ago... time to start living in the now: modern training methods, modern techniques, modern MMA's, modern fighters. I really oughta just wasteland this shit. By today's standards, bruce lee's training doesn't seem that good, many stories about him read like anecdotal myths, lastly we will never know how he would do in MMA. Period. But, if you guys wanna jerk off thinking about bruce lee in mma (my guess is that rickson is involved in your fantasy somewhere) I would be more than happy to move this to a more encouraging environment (namely, the aformentioned wasteland).

Bruce Lee is Dead!!!?? Damn, I thought he retired after kicking Kareem's ass, isn't he selling real estate in Riverside now? :D

If he did all of that every week, then he was doing waaaaaay to much

Mav3rick said:
You think Bruce didn't do any cardio? He ran two miles a day rain or shine doing sprint intervals. On top of that he stationary biked a lot. If you think that doesn't cut it try making just about every single waking moment of your life dedicated to training.

He did no grappling??? If I remember correctly he did train with Gene Label (not sure on the spelling) and you obviously haven't seen Enter the Dragon. Watch the opening scene with Samo Hung.

The reason he started training so physically was because one of his early challenge matches ended up with him being a little winded. He was not happy with this and sought to develop the best stamina he could possibly develop.
2 milles i do 3 - 5 im non stop at the gym. Im young so im careful on my knees being that im 190. Lee was only 135 wow, he was great cant compare his style to mma. His style can kill you like kung fu. Mma has rules and you can pratice witch is why i quit kung fu.

LoL at comparing Lee to today's MMA fighters. He wouldn't make it.

But as a Martial Artist back then he was known to have tooled Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis when he sparred with them. He was in great cardiovascular shape and was very fast. His strength training was not good in compasrison with other routines. but you cannot deny that the man's explosive speed combined to create a very good non TMA striker.

I have a video of him doing heavy bag work. he was moving very fast and the bag was moving quite a bit. He had powerful punches because of his speed. but posting Bruce Lee's Joe Weider type routines here is a good way to get them torn to shreds. Those routines should NOT BE FOLLOWED BY ANYONE!

Forget the mystique surrounding him. Take him for what he did. he convinced people to abandon the styles concept and focus on combat as a whole. However, he was much more than an actor. He was known to spar with a number of champions( Norris, Lewis, Stone) back then and did very well despite being heavily outweighed. His trapping was excellent, probably the best at that time.

Madmick said:
My coach had the opportunity to train with Bruce Lee and he said he saw him hit the bag. He says he couldn't hit it worth shit. He said the guys in Thailand at the time would have destroyed Lee in a Thai fight.

I appreciate Lee for his philosophy and his work ethic, but really, this mystique bullshit has to end. Any top lightweight today would demolish him.

I have a video that shows a completely different story.

I also have a boxing coach that said his punching power was very good. he attended three of his seminars in the 70's and said that he had a very good right hand and left hook.

And who is comparing him to fighters today. Of course he would get killed, hell, Gene Lebell pinned him to the ground and he couldn't get up. What do you think Sherk would do to him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back