Bruce Lee Versus Wong Jack Man in BIRTH OF THE DRAGON Trailer

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Bruce Lee Versus Wong Jack Man in BIRTH OF THE DRAGON Trailer

Birth-of-the-Dragon-091816-Dragonlord.jpg

The first trailer for the Bruce Lee-inspired martial arts movie Birth of the Dragon has hit the web. Described as an “affectionate nod to the classic Kung Fu films of the 1970s,” Birth of the Dragon dramatizes the true life 1964 fight between Kung Fu legend Bruce Lee (though he hadn’t reached his legendary status at the time) and Shaolin Master Wong Jack Man.

A hotly disputed showdown between two expert martial artists, two narratives of the fight have emerged over the decades — Bruce Lee’s version, who claimed he dominated the fight, ending it in three minutes, and Wong Jack Man’s contrasting account, which clocked the fight at over 20 minutes with no clear victor. Regardless of which version you believe, it was a seminal fight for Lee’s career, inspiring him to create his Jeet Kune Do technique.

The Adjustment Bureau director George Nolfi brings the much-debated showdown to the big screen with a script from Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen J. Rivele; the writing duo behind Ali, Nixon and Pawn Sacrifice. Phillip Ng, Xia Yu, Billy Magnussen and Simon Yin lead the cast. Birth of the Dragon debuted at Toronto International Film Festival and does not yet have a US release date.

‘Birth of the Dragon’ Trailer Finds Young Bruce Lee in the Fight of His Life

Last edited:
Bruce Lee Versus Wong Jack Man in BIRTH OF THE NATION Trailer

Birth-of-the-Dragon-091816-Dragonlord.jpg

The first trailer for the Bruce Lee-inspired martial arts movie Birth of the Dragon has hit the web. Described as an “affectionate nod to the classic Kung Fu films of the 1970s,” Birth of the Dragon dramatizes the true life 1964 fight between Kung Fu legend Bruce Lee (though he hadn’t reached his legendary status at the time) and Shaolin Master Wong Jack Man.

A hotly disputed showdown between two expert martial artists, two narratives of the fight have emerged over the decades — Bruce Lee’s version, who claimed he dominated the fight, ending it in three minutes, and Wong Jack Man’s contrasting account, which clocked the fight at over 20 minutes with no clear victor. Regardless of which version you believe, it was a seminal fight for Lee’s career, inspiring him to create his Jeet Kune Do technique.

The Adjustment Bureau director George Nolfi brings the much-debated showdown to the big screen with a script from Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen J. Rivele; the writing duo behind Ali, Nixon and Pawn Sacrifice. Phillip Ng, Xia Yu, Billy Magnussen and Simon Yin lead the cast. Birth of the Dragon debuted at Toronto International Film Festival and does not yet have a US release date.

‘Birth of the Dragon’ Trailer Finds Young Bruce Lee in the Fight of His Life

@Dragonlordxxxxx , Birth of a Nation ? I think you made mistake

*Sigh* Nothing makes a movie lose credibility faster than saying it's 'Inspired by actual events' especially when there's multiple accounts of the event.

And the guy actor that's playing Bruce Lee is... well... lets just say Jason Scott Lee set the standard for how closely Bruce Lee could be emulated. And Bruce Lee, in real life, was a force of nature.

hmm interesting

<mma4>

I'll take the "true events" with a grain of salt, but hey its a kung fu flick so I'll watch it.

this is way overselling bruce lee and wong jack man.

I don't like the choice for Bruce Lee, but this is a cool story that is immersed in myth and lore. I'll probably see it.

If the fights are good, and the acting is on point, I could live with the actor's lack of resemblance to Bruce.

i thought that fight was like 3 minutes long, a one sided beat down and over the privilege to teach the white man.

Looks extremely dumb. Also, Bruce Lee did not have that hairstyle at that time and I am sure Wong Jack Man didn't fight in an orange dress.
I imagine the real life fight looked extremely sloppy.

Didn't Wong Jack Man put a bunch of challenges to Bruce in the papers because Bruce kept telling people he won? And Bruce never fought him again.

Trailer had me interested until it descended into cliches, like Matrix techno music while Bruce Lee himself is fighting. It could work if the movie is a little more heartfelt than the trailer was.

Phillip Ng doesn't really look like Bruce Lee, but he had some of the mannerisms and speech patterns down pretty well in the trailer, and I'll take that over a doppelganger that doesn't behave like the character he's playing.

I can't tell if it's so overly clichéd in a good way or a bad way.

I felt like I wrote that in 10 minutes after being challenged to write a script for that story as fast as possible. No time to think, just frame it inside classic Hollywood shit. Make the lead the white guy they fight over. Bruce is young hotshot, WJM is old wise guy. Slow motion in the fight scenes. Add a love story for no reason.

I'm either gonna love it like mac'n'cheese or regret ingesting it like cheap tequila and a quesalupa.

as someone who grew up loving bruce lee....this looks so fucking fucked

Looks pretty wack movie wise, but the fight scenes look ok and the guy playing Bruce really nails some of Bruce's mannerisms

Back