Bruce Buffer Needs To Keep His Mitts Off The Fighters Pre-Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe....I don't have a dog in that fight. I don't really like or dislike Buffer; he just is what he is.

But "what he is" is a sideshow attraction that's part of the bigger show in his own right. People complaining about him "making it about him" are missing the point that when he's announcing, he's putting on a paid performance...in that moment, it actually is about him. By design.

If you want it all to be about the fighters, and wish he were more background, ok, cool...I can roll with that attitude. But that's clearly not what the people putting on the show want...he's just doing his job.
He doesn't need to make contact with the fighters tho. That is my issue.

NcbHIyU.gif

Pretty sure fist bumps are okay. If he tries the Diego finger butt shuffle on the combatants, then yeah, the UFC will have to reign him in.

The whole viewing experience of being a UFC fan is awful. You have to listen to the least funny man who ever lived, Joe Rogan. The most over the top fight announcer in Bruce Buffer.

Just overall it's an embarrassing product ti admit you are a fan of. I specifically avoid watching UFC fights around my Mrs because she absolutely slaughters me.
Omg yes! Its so weird because some MMA fans think, this is the norm and want it to stay like that. However i have spoken to so many outsiders who think it looks super unprofessional and carries the flair of drunk middle aged and topless dudes fistbumping each other. Not an atheltic profession with some integrity to its product.

Except he's literally "part of the show". He gets paid to create staging, mood, and hype.

He's an actor....and the UFC wants him to be one.

Exactly and a good one. He makes it alive.

It was funny with Jordan Wright because Jordan look like a toddler being so uncoordinated when he tried to touch fist with Buffer..... I thought...oh this can't be good he is too uncoordinated to throw a punch. He won but not sure how long that will last.

Omg yes! Its so weird because some MMA fans think, this is the norm and want it to stay like that. However i have spoken to so many outsiders who think it looks super unprofessional and carries the flair of drunk middle aged and topless dudes fistbumping each other. Not an atheltic profession with some integrity to its product.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with adding some spectacle to it...essentially every pro sport does it (watch an NFL broadcast sometime and really pay attention to how much pageantry they put into it), and it's really part of the DNA of combat sports in particular.

I mean, Don King didn't wear his hair like that to project dignity and integrity.

I get not wanting to be associated with pro wrestling, for the obvious reasons, but let's not get too stuck up just because we're worried about how the Sportsball crowd might sneer at it.

I agree but he should keeps his hands off the fighters before the fight.
Meh. I don't think it's a big deal. I agree that his fist bumping doesn't add anything extra but it doesn't take anything away either. Let the man live his life

People just complain about anything. Buffer is good and the guy gives it all in his announcement. He is part of the show.

Meh. I don't think it's a big deal. I agree that his fist bumping doesn't add anything extra but it doesn't take anything away either. Let the man live his life

I think his issue with it isn't that fist bumps happen, it's that Buffer sometimes basically stalks a dude looking for the fist bump like he's stuck in a "don't leave me hanging bro" meme.

Which I get. It's not like it's ruining anything, but I get it.

It looked bush league in the main event last night.

I remember a sherdogger posted a funny story about Bruce Buffer. He said Buffer was a great guy, nice, accommodating, fan friendly, approachable etc but the poster said when he first said hello, Buffer reached into his bag, pulled out a picture of himself, signed it, and gave it to the guy... All without asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back