Brown v Lytle - D'Arce Choke

kaptr1d

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I was out at a bar watching the fights with a bunch of less then casual fight fans... I saw Brown sink in the darce/brabo and announced the end of the fight.

It looked to me like Brown had perfect positioning... the choke was deep and he moved to the right position to finish with it.

Did anyone notice anything in particular that he did wrong? I use the darce all the time and its a great go-to move for me so I was kind of surprised that he wasn't able to finish... what could he have done different to get the tap or put Lytle to sleep?

Brown didn't have full control over Lytle's trapped arm. It wasn't across his neck which gave him enough space to survive.

Brown needed to walk a "Lytle" more towards his opponent. Lytle was able to create a little space. He said it was tight. I'm sure it was.

btw...I would have tapped...

maybe his arms were fatiguing and just held it to show dominance to the judges, the world may never know

Who knows? I thought it was over with. It did look like Lytle's arm wasn't across his neck and he had it tucked down by his side. I think that may have saved him. It looked like Brown tried to gator roll it back to top side control near the end, but just didn't have enough energy.

So I was out at a bar watching the fights with a bunch of less then casual fight fans... I saw Brown sink in the darce/brabo and announced the end of the fight.

It looked to me like Brown had perfect positioning... the choke was deep and he moved to the right position to finish with it.

Did anyone notice anything in particular that he did wrong? I use the darce all the time and its a great go-to move for me so I was kind of surprised that he wasn't able to finish... what could he have done different to get the tap or put Lytle to sleep?

Lytle was creating space, and Brown didn't exhaust his options to finish. If he brought his elbows together, then clocked in until Lytle collapsed, then stepped over for a kind of pseudo-mount he would have definitely finished the match. Instead Brown just stayed on his side squeezing and looking for a better angle. For a few seconds there I thought it was over also, but when the camera switched angles for a second you could see enough space to fly a plane through in certain spots.

Basically what it (and the fight) came down to was that Lytle is a way better submission artist than Brown.

I like finishing it more by sitting the opposite way, from what Brown did. It allows you to wrap up a guard, (usually one leg over the back and one knee across the belly) and I feel there's less of a chance for them to get out. That being said Lytle is a beast, he definitely had to go to a real happy place to survive.

I could be wrong cause I was totally drunk at the time, but I'm fairly sure that Brown didn't have it all the way across his neck, I specifically remember a camera angle switch that showed it from the front and Lytle had his chin tucked and was creating space.

Lytle was creating space, and Brown didn't exhaust his options to finish. If he brought his elbows together, then clocked in until Lytle collapsed, then stepped over for a kind of pseudo-mount he would have definitely finished the match. Instead Brown just stayed on his side squeezing and looking for a better angle. For a few seconds there I thought it was over also, but when the camera switched angles for a second you could see enough space to fly a plane through in certain spots.

Basically what it (and the fight) came down to was that Lytle is a way better submission artist than Brown.

Basically that! Can't believe Lytle hit that sub AGAIN!

Back